Am I the only one going through this?!?!(LONG)

Tru_Mind

My hair is making me angry!!!:angry2: Nothing seems to be working well enough.

When I first joined LHCF I had everything together. I had a simple regime which included Fantasia IC Shampoo, Leave-in with aloe, LeKair Cholestoral Deep Conditioner (Peach), and WGO. It took so long for me to find what works, so I was happy. Each and every week my hair came out pretty and silky for a year or more. The only thing that bothered me was the fact the WGO smoked with the use of heat. I didn’t want to smell like I had just finished smoking right after I finished flat ironing, so I stop using WGO and switch to Kemi-Oyl at the very end of December 04.

This is when all my problems started. Like I said, I switch WGO to Kemi, and continued to use the other products. I guess I was looking for the same benefits from Kemi that WGO gave me, so in order to get those benefits I used Kemi on my dry hair at least twice daily. Not knowing that I was setting my hair up to experience damage and a lot of breakage by doing so. I’ve always added WGO on dry hair, but only once during the week until my next wash and I’ve never experience damage or breakage for a year, so I didn’t think adding Kemi on dry hair would damage my hair...because it was an oil too.

After noticing the breakage and damage I new that it had to be Kemi. What else…all of my other products where the same. I switched back to WGO, but I could not stand the smoke, and when I read that the fact that I put oil on dry hair too often cause my hair to break. I then realized that it was all my fault I switched back to Kemi. The breakage caused me to have to trim off a lot of my ends.

Then, I started to want something to make my hair stronger (after experiencing all that breakage), so I bought MNT shampoo and conditioner and feel in love with it. I’m still using it now, but I find myself adding and switching products again and again.

Worse of all, my hair is much drier than it was with my old products. I just bought Amla Hair Oil, and I'm not sure that I love it. My hair is still dry!

I don’t like having to swtich, add and drop products like that, but I have the short broken off hairs that are growing back in the crown area(always my trouble area)and my hair is not laying down like it used to(I guess because broken off hair are too short), so I'm trying to find out which of the products that I'm using now works best together. I do know that my old products worked great together, but all but one is compeltely gone.

I’m driving myself crazy with this hair. I’m sitting here thinking that I’ve have been switching back and forth adding and dropping products in only four months.:angry2:

Now, I just want all my old products that I started with back, so that all this madness can stop and I could be happy with my hair again.:angry2: It feels like I'm becoming a product junkie again, so I definitley will be going back to my old products.

And because of all this, I have no growth progress(in four months).

Am I the only one going threw this?!?!

Re: Am I the only one going threw this?!?!(LONG)

Sorry to hear this tru_mind. I remember how you've told me about switching back and forth with WGO and KemiOyl.

I see that you don't have a moisturizer in your routine. Or is the Leave-in w/ Aloe considered your moisturizer?

Oh Tru mind I was just looking at your album last night and thinking how pretty your hair is. I'm so sorry to hear that you are having these problems. I even went out today and bought the WGO and the Fantasia leave-in based on your great results. Maybe it was the kemi. Are you using heat very often? That could seriously be the culprit too. I'm still so new at this natural thing and this healthy haircare thing that I can't offer much advice but I just wanted to send you a ((hug)) and wish you the best.

Just thought of this too: Be careful with protein. I've found that my natural hair is even more sensitive to it and does not need extra protein very often.

Last edited:

geez. just when i thought i solved the world puzzle to answer why my hair hasn't retained growth in 4 months (because i just figured out that my dry hair loves oil) .... and now i hear you say that applying oil to dry hair can cause breakage. :confused: maybe i'll try the WGO, i've been using hot6 oil and it works great, i bought the kemi oil but i don't use it because it doesn't list what oils are in it. it just says 'essential oils'. well we all know that can be anything. perhaps the kemi oil is your problem. well anyways,im just rambling..... good luck in getting back your simple routine....

Is this product good for reducing breakage? Can it be purchased at any beauty supply store? I am experiencing many of the same hair issues as you are tru_mind.

hopeful said:
Oh Tru mind I was just looking at your album last night and thinking how pretty your hair is. I'm so sorry to hear that you are having these problems. I even went out today and bought the WGO and the Fantasia leave-in based on your great results. Maybe it was the kemi. Are you using heat very often? That could seriously be the culprit too. I'm still so new at this natural thing and this healthy haircare thing that I can't offer much advice but I just wanted to send you a ((hug)) and wish you the best.

Just thought of this too: Be careful with protein. I've found that my natural hair is even more sensitive to it and does not need extra protein very often.

Thanks Ladies!

Hopeful, yes heat is the culprit too! I use heat once a week. The thing is that I didn't have problems until I switch products. I'm going back to what I know.

Yep, I have been thinking about the protein too, because of my dryness. Who knows?

Thanks Hopeful!:kiss:

jamiette said:
Is this product good for reducing breakage? Can it be purchased at any beauty supply store? I am experiencing many of the same hair issues as you are tru_mind.

WGO? Yes, it's good for reducing breakage. I purchased mines from Sally's, but I seems like, most if not all, of the beauty supply stores that sells black hair care products sells it.

WGO INFO

Poohbear said:
Sorry to hear this tru_mind. I remember how you've told me about switching back and forth with WGO and KemiOyl.

I see that you don't have a moisturizer in your routine. Or is the Leave-in w/ Aloe considered your moisturizer?

The oil and the leave-in gives moisture. I don't like moisturizers in my hair.:nono: I think I still have a full bottle of the pink stuff(if I didn't trash it).

tru_mind said:
The oil and the leave-in gives moisture. I don't like moisturizers in my hair.:nono: I think I still have a full bottle of the pink stuff(if I didn't trash it).
Oh okay. I find that my hair doesn't like moisturizers either. But I do use ElastaQP Penetrating Moisturizer as my leave-in on wet hair before I blowdry it with my heat protectant. During the week when my hair is dry, I apply my oil mixture to my hair every night then wrap it. i know if I apply a product labeled as a moisturizer to my hair everyday, my hair would be breaking and weighed down.

tru_mind said:
WGO? Yes, it's good for reducing breakage. I purchased mines from Sally's, but I seems like, most if not all, of the beauty supply stores that sells black hair care products sells it.

WGO INFO

Thanks for the link. I think I will try to incorporate this into my newly developing hair regime.

tru mind I am sorry to hear about your dryness. My hair tends to get pretty dry but not so much since I bought the tabletop steamer. :) That was the best $78 I spent in a long time. Trust me because I am a shopaholic. Are you doing in pre poo treatments. They really work great on dry hair and help with breakage. I either do a hot oil or use cholesterol and love it. I hope everything works out for you. What type of shampoo are you using? Do you clarify? Another thing, I am really into moisturizing shampoos.

I'm sorry too to hear about your hair issues. You have such beautiful hair.

I second brickhouse's recommendations of a pre poo hot oil treatment. I did one on Monday and I can still feel the effects today. My hair was so dry and brittle. It feels so much better now.

Also, check your water. It seemed like NONE of my products were working. My hair was hard and dry. I started using distilled water and I see a 100% difference. Good luck!

tru_mind said:
Thanks Ladies!

Hopeful, yes heat is the culprit too! I use heat once a week. The thing is that I didn't have problems until I switch products. I'm going back to what I know.

Yep, I have been thinking about the protein too, because of my dryness. Who knows?

Thanks Hopeful!:kiss:

You're welcome! Sounds like even though the WGO smokes it's a really good heat protectant (certainly better than Kemi). I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of the problem real soon.:)

brickhouse said:
tru mind I am sorry to hear about your dryness. My hair tends to get pretty dry but not so much since I bought the tabletop steamer. :) That was the best $78 I spent in a long time. Trust me because I am a shopaholic. Are you doing in pre poo treatments. They really work great on dry hair and help with breakage. I either do a hot oil or use cholesterol and love it. I hope everything works out for you. What type of shampoo are you using? Do you clarify? Another thing, I am really into moisturizing shampoos.

I remeber my hair getting this dry when I was relaxed.

You mean a clothes steamer? Hmmm...sounds good...but does it make your hair damp?

I've used pre poo treatments(hot oil) when I was relaxed, but I didn't have to as a natural, but I deep condition after I wash. I use jojoba as a pre poo treatment. I've been so frustrated these last four months that I haven't even thought about using my jojoba lately. I just bought and used Amla Hair Oil on Tuesday, and that's the first time in a long time that I've used a pre poo treatment.

I'm using MNT shampoo, but I will be buy all my old products tomorrow which includs Fantasia IC with Aloe.

I thought clarifing was for build-up my hair is...well was dry. I re-washed my hair today and used WGO and my moisture is back. Anyway, I only use a clarifier for build-up and I didn't have build-up. Are you using a clarifier to prevent build-up or get rid of build-up.

I really like moisturizing shampoos too...Fantasia IC with Aloe is a moisturing shampoo, so I will be using a moisturing shampoo again.

hopeful said:
You're welcome! Sounds like even though the WGO smokes it's a really good heat protectant (certainly better than Kemi). I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of the problem real soon.:)

That's what I say even though it smokes it's a really good heat protectant. I just need to stop complaining and just use the stuff!:lol: I will...

baglady215 said:
I'm sorry too to hear about your hair issues. You have such beautiful hair.

I second brickhouse's recommendations of a pre poo hot oil treatment. I did one on Monday and I can still feel the effects today. My hair was so dry and brittle. It feels so much better now.

Also, check your water. It seemed like NONE of my products were working. My hair was hard and dry. I started using distilled water and I see a 100% difference. Good luck!

Thanks baglady!

I used to pre poo it does help.

Yep...my water sucks...I know...but it worked well with the my old products.:lol: I definitely have hard water it's already been tested.:ohwell:

Hmmm...I can definitely start using distilled water. I will try that. I know that Demi Moore use distilled vitamin water...and her hair is lovely.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I'm sorry you're having problems. My hair didnt like the kemioyl either. I tried it when I was relaxed and it used to make my hair hard and it would stick to the curling iron, messing up the curling iron and my hair. :nono:
Try just regular olive oil and see how it works for curling your hair.
Good luck!

So very sorry to hear of ur hair troubles.... I'm hopeful that u'll find the best solution for ur hair.... after all, u have to... cuz U HAIR IS ABSOLUTELY BEEEAUTIFULLLL!!!

Thanks for posting your comment Enchantmt.:) It's good to know that I'm not the only one that had problems with using Kemi-Oyl+heat.:mad: I thought that Kemi would work as well as WGO did. I tried to love it, but I just couldn't. I'm going back to what I know works for my hair and that's using WGO.

Thanks Prechtree!:blush:

I just looked at your album and your hair looks great....But I know only you know what you hair is capable of doing and right now it is not living up to it's full potential. I am sure you will get to the bottom of it. My suggest ...stick to what you know works..if it was WHG then use it...even if it stinks...

hottopic said:
I just looked at your album and your hair looks great....But I know only you know what you hair is capable of doing and right now it is not living up to it's full potential. I am sure you will get to the bottom of it. My suggest ...stick to what you know works..if it was WHG then use it...even if it stinks...

:lol:@"use it...even if it stinks"

Will do!:lol:

Last edited:
tru, the steamer I am referring to is the tabletop hair steamer. You can do a search on it. We have had several threads on it. I am glad I purchase one. I am 15wks post touchup and I will be relaxing next week. The steamer really made a difference.

brickhouse said:
tru, the steamer I am referring to is the tabletop hair steamer. You can do a search on it. We have had several threads on it. I am glad I purchase one. I am 15wks post touchup and I will be relaxing next week. The steamer really made a difference.

I will seach for it!

Thanks!

JUST THINKING...

Ladies, I should be at or close to shoulder length right now...but because of all the inches of hair(probably 5 inches total little by little each month) that I had to cut off in the past 4 months due to damage I'm not.:mad:

I cut it down 2 1/2 - 3 inches when I experience the first damage at the end of Janurary and I cut an inch more or less each month for 2 months.

I don't have problems with growing hair...it's keeping healthy enough so that I can keep it instead of cut it.:mad:

I've been feeling like DeltaQT's avatar for 4 months.:lol:

Last edited:
Tru mind, Don't be so hard on yourself. We're all just trying to figure everything out. If you really want shoulder-length hair, you'll figure out a routine that will get you there.:) Just be patient and persistent and as DSD always says, "Don't speak defeat.";)

hopeful said:
Tru mind, Don't be so hard on yourself. We're all just trying to figure everything out. If you really want shoulder-length hair, you'll figure out a routine that will get you there.:) Just be patient and persistent and as DSD always says, "Don't speak defeat.";)

I keep telling myself that it's just hair and it will grow back, but it's the starting over after I've put soooo much work into it that makes me upset. If I wasn't taking good care of my hair and it broke off than I wouldn't be so upset, because I would know and understand why...but yep...you're right!

Thank you Hopeful!:)

Last edited:
Back