Am I doing Anything Wrong?

SoAnxious12

Hey Ladies!
Well i've been looking at everyones regimens which seem to be very long and i think i'm not doing something. I'm not saying this because my regimen is mostly short but i have a feeling something is missing.
here what I do:
~*~Weekly~*~
shampoo hair with Garnier Fructis shampoo for permed or colored hair
leave in conditoner- Motions
Deep conditioner - Garnier Fructis 3 minute masque (anyone have better suggestions because i don't think conditioner is moisturizing enough)spray surge revitalizer on scalp
oil my scalp with this combo of doo grow and EVOO
Then i put my scarf on and let my hair dry overnight since i do not own a dryer. I don't use any kind of heat in my hair. In the morning I put my hair in this tiny ponytail because my hair is really short
frown.gif
I used to get cornrows done by my mother without extensions but she has arthritis and can't do it anymore. Also, my mother won't let me get my hair braided for the summer because she doesn't like the idea of another set of hair being mixed in with my own and she refuses to pay for it. Other than this my hair is kinda healthy except I need a tiny trim which i was going to do on the 4th or 18th. I went to my hairdresser who said my hair was in good order and braids would be okay. So what should I do?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Not really sure why you feel something is wrong. Is your hair breaking or shedding? How long have you been growing your out? Do you feel like it is taking too long to grow out? How long has it been at its current length?

The answers will help determine if you are unfairly comparing your hair with others...(who may have had bra strap length for some time) or determine if you are just not SEEING your length due to breakage.

There's nothing wrong with your regimen. I have a fairly simple regimen too and I have no problems with growth or breakage.

Why not just get your hair cornrowed with no additional hair. I think that's one great protective and very becoming do that isn't given the props it deserves. Honestly if I could do a good job in cornrowing my own hair, I'd wear my hair in cornrows all the time. (Like you, my mom used to cornrow mine and I do miss those days.
smirk.gif
)

You know guys, we really are blessed to have hair that is so versatile. Sometimes I get a thrill just thinking about it
drunk.gif
and swear any minute I'll burst with glee.
laugh.gif

If you ever run out of ideas for styling, or simply forget just what our hair can do, and need a reminder of how blessed we are, check out this website (Don't forget to click "Next Page" at the bottom for more pics/poems).

Only thing I would recommend you do differently is maybe switch to a gentler shampoo that doesn't contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. A lot of people here are having good results with the Neutrogena Triple Moisture line.

[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
Why not just get your hair cornrowed with no additional hair. I think that's one great protective and very becoming do that isn't given the props it deserves. Honestly if I could do a good job in cornrowing my own hair, I'd wear my hair in cornrows all the time. (Like you, my mom used to cornrow mine and I do miss those days.
smirk.gif
)

You know guys, we really are blessed to have hair that is so versatile. Sometimes I get a thrill just thinking about it
drunk.gif
and swear any minute I'll burst with glee.
laugh.gif

If you ever run out of ideas for styling, or simply forget just what our hair can do, and need a reminder of how blessed we are, check out this website (Don't forget to click "Next Page" at the bottom for more pics/poems).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonie...that site is FIERCE!!!!! OMG!!! Where did you get that from? I have to bookmark it on the off chance I get bored with my bantu knot out one day...now I KNOW I have a plethura of styles to choose from!

Wonderful!

<font color="red"> </font> I definately agree with this statement, shampoos with high sulficant contents really dry out my thick hair. I also suggest another deep conditioner. the so called deep conditioner that you are using is NOT a deep conditioner, not if it only takes 3 minutes. It's more like an instant conditioner which coats your hair but provides no real benefits. There are many good deep conditioners that I suggest but each person has different body ph and reacts differently to different products. A really good product that I like that's light but effective is Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balancer, Organic Root Stimulator's hair Mayonaise is good also and the list goes on. A good deep conditioner should be left on your hair for approximately 15-30 minutes under a heat/dome dryer or wrap a warm towel over a plastic cap for 30-40 minutes. I hope this info will help you and not overwhelm you, good luck and tell me how it goes.

BTW: after you do your deep treatments you should follow with a moisturizing conditioner (left on for 3-5 minutes) maybe you can use your garnier mask for this purpose!
cool.gif
<font color="red"> </font>

thanks for the info your really helpful. It's just that i don't like my own hair cornrowed all the time because it's so short. But it looks nice. I already have my set braider and she nows about my hair.

SoAnxious, if you got your hair cornrowed so that the rows meet at the top of your head, you could add a fake pony and change it as you please. So you could have a fake bun one day (and add chopsticks once in a while); wear a believable dangling pony another day (not too long or thick that it's obviously fake); an afro puff yet another time, and if possible, you could twist the hair of the pony puff another time and rock twists too.

If you're as adventurous as I am and get tired of the fake ponies, but still don't want it being so obvious how short your hair is, then you can wrap a bandana or silk scarf that matches whatever outfit you're wearing around the ends of the cornrows (same spot where you attached the fake ponies) to simulate a bun. For a special occasion, you can accessorize "the cloth bun" with a pearl necklace (or any necklace) and see if you don't start a trend.
wink.gif

Believe me, once you start experimenting, you'll realize there's no end to the styles you can achieve.

(Oh, and I'm glad you all like that website as much as I do.
grin.gif
)

Back