Am I defeating the purpose

silverdrmr

Would I be defeating the purpose of making a moisturizing leave-in if I add oil?
I've been doing it in two steps, leave-in/moisturize then seal with oil but I've noticed that some people add oil to their hair recipes to moisturize. If oil seals, so that moisture cannot get in or out, wouldn't adding it to your leave-in/moisturizer prevent it from being as effective as it could be?
I would like to add jojoba so I can just eliminate a step but before I go ahead and do it, I just to make sure.

Thanks!

I prefer moisturizers that have oil in them.

Not sure about them "sealing" but I do not have to put oil on my hair after I moisturize. It is not necessary and just makes my hair get dirtier sooner.

For me, if I feel the need to "seal" with oil, my conditioner, leave-in and moisturizer are not doing what I need them to do.

if I feel the need to "seal" with oil, I will assume that the product does not meet my needs.

All of the moisturizers that fit my needs are very concentrated and do have oil in them.

Yeah I totally agree with Honeydew on this one. I've been finding that since finding the products which work best for my hair I rarely have a need to seal with oil...

I never realized what truly moisturized hair felt like FOR ME until recently... All of the products that I use lately have few or no silicones and are infused with oils (jojoba, coconut, olive, etc etc).:yep:

Actually the best moisturizer for my hair is Shea butter and coconut oil. I know everyone says that Oil does not moisturize but nothing even comes close to making my hair as soft and coconut oil....:yep:

Actually the best moisturizer for my hair is Shea butter and coconut oil. I know everyone says that Oil does not moisturize but nothing even comes close to making my hair as soft and coconut oil....:yep:

I read an article once that said coconut oil can penetrate the hair because of the molecule size. So I am not surprised that it is so moisturizing.

I like layering my products, the best way by far for me to moisturize is after I wash/con/detangle my hair I moisturize with s-curl, followed by a creamy leave in, sealed with oil, coconut is my favorite. I don't seem to get the same results when I mix everything together. I'm natural so I'm not sure if this would be overkill if I were relaxed. Also I usually moisturize with those three products when I am wearing twists.

Personally I do not like moisturizers that contain oils (unless it's EO's). My hair prefers moisturizers that have water and butter(s) has the main ingredients. Because I love the way castor oil makes my hair feel, I always use it after I moisturize. I use a light oils (jojoba or grapeseed) in the morning without applying moisturizer for the shine!

Back