Am I crazy or is this still illegal?

sparkle25

Please tell me if I'm crazy. This woman was selling a hair serum that as usual, claimed to make hair grow. I asked her what was in it.. why would I buy something without knowing what was in it, right?? Or am I crazy? She sent me a message back saying something like "I only use the best ingredients". So I sent her a message back, because I know that people are hesitant to share stuff like this because they are afraid someone is going to steal their intellectual property, and wanted to reassure her, so I listed the ingredients for a cake, but didn't provide measurements and told her – OK now make me this cake.

I was trying to make a point that you need measurements, instructions, bake time etc. to make something right. It doesn't matter if you know the ingredients. Cooking and making hair products is basically chemistry.

She sent me a response back still not telling me what was in the product and said take no offense but in this instance, the Ruach ( holy sprint ) was telling her not to share. Which is absolutely ridiculous to bring God in this matter because He knows all and He knows I am not ambitious so wouldn't be creating a business using someone else's products recipe. I struggle to make my family dinner ... im not finna make no hair stuff on top of it

I told her it was fine, but I won't be buying and let her know that what she was doing was actually illegal. I provided her with a website that explains that she has to list the ingredients on a product that she's selling to the public. She then made a post claiming I was aggressively seeking her ingredients list and that my response when she refused was a red flag. Like what? I asked her one time, when she refused i assumed she was new to the handmade business because experienced vendors know they have to list the ingredients, so tried to reassure her by sending the cake recipie without instructions to show her an example of why she shouldn't be afraid to share stuff, then when she sent me a message back insinuating I had some ulterior motive, I got irritated, told her I wasn't goi jf to be buying and told her she's actually operating illegally. How is that aggressive? She also said I was coming across manipulative...what? Then to make a whole post about it?

I thought most people wanted to know what was in their hair products. Am I crazy? This is what she wrote in the picture below. So I'm crazy for wanting to know what was in a product someone was selling? Would you ladies buy something if you didn't know what was in it? Is it still illegal not to disclose ingredients? The website I shared could be wrong...

Attachments

• IMG_7997.jpeg
    IMG_7997.jpeg
    672.4 KB · Views: 46
Maybe this is the source you are looking for- https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmetics-labeling/cosmetics-labeling-regulations

I wouldn’t buy the homemade kitchen products partly due to this and the likelihood that it probably doesn’t have properly formulated preservatives. If she doesn’t know these very basic rules in cosmetics, I certainly wouldn’t trust her (quite frankly all) homemade products.
She can be reported but not sure how much energy fda would put into it, if it ever makes it to their queue.

Maybe this is the source you are looking for- https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmetics-labeling/cosmetics-labeling-regulations

I wouldn’t buy the homemade kitchen products partly due to this and the likelihood that it probably doesn’t have properly formulated preservatives. If she doesn’t know these very basic rules in cosmetics, I certainly wouldn’t trust her (quite frankly all) homemade products.
She can be reported but not sure how much energy fda would put into it, if it ever makes it to their queue.
I did telll her the fact that she hadn't even looked into things enough to know she did have to disclose ingredients made me skeptical. She is inexperienced and that's why she thought it was so bizzare for someone to ask what's in it. I truly thought it was a normal question.

Yabba dabba who? Not the Holy Spirit gatekeeping natural herbs and oils. :look:

Clearly, this lady is a bit off. After she refused the first time to disclose the ingredients, I would have left it at that. If she isn’t educated enough to know that ingredient disclosure is required, then I wouldn’t trust her to know about proper preservatives or how to prevent introducing fungus and bacteria into her formulas either.

OT: I saw a bottle of that pink sauce dressing that went viral on TT - it was on clearance at WM for $6.98! This homemade lady reminded me of that lol

OP, you asked legit questions with no ulterior motive other than to be an informed consumer. I'm allergic to peppermint oil, so I'm ALWAYS scanning ingredients and/or avoiding products that say "essential oil blend" with no further details. She's not ready for the market if she's relying on the ppl who know her and she can't take constructive feedback.

Yabba dabba who? Not the Holy Spirit gatekeeping natural herbs and oils. :look:

Clearly, this lady is a bit off. After she refused the first time to disclose the ingredients, I would have left it at that. If she isn’t educated enough to know that ingredient disclosure is required, then I wouldn’t trust her to know about proper preservatives or how to prevent introducing fungus and bacteria into her formulas either.
I told her something similar... if you don't need know you need to disclose ingredients, then how do I know other things aren't off? And you made a good point about bacteria and fungus. She's not ready for the market at all.

OT: I saw a bottle of that pink sauce dressing that went viral on TT - it was on clearance at WM for $6.98! This homemade lady reminded me of that lol

OP, you asked legit questions with no ulterior motive other than to be an informed consumer. I'm allergic to peppermint oil, so I'm ALWAYS scanning ingredients and/or avoiding products that say "essential oil blend" with no further details. She's not ready for the market if she's relying on the ppl who know her and she can't take constructive feedback.

This! 98% of people that she knows + her clients. What does that mean? How many people is that really? Does she have pictures on her site with before and afters?

I don't share recipes online of things that I make that I think might actually be good in case people steal and or tweak and sell them. But I only use the stuff on myself, my kids', and my mom's hair. Done and dusted. That being said, someone refusing to share their ingredient list when they are selling a product is a huge red flag for me. It makes me think that they are not making the products correctly. It might not even be an issue of fungus, but sometimes certain ingredients shouldn't be paired together. It sometimes happens with product lists that are on store shelves -- ingredient lists that look good, but if you know what you're looking at you realize that the list isn't complete (I'm looking at you, KCKT.)

@sparkle25 I’d like to know what the responses were to her post as well. Also, how did you find and become interested in her products? She claims not to know you and usually only sells to people she knows.

I told her something similar... if you don't need know you need to disclose ingredients, then how do I know other things aren't off? And you made a good point about bacteria and fungus. She's not ready for the market at all.
And allergies. It is irresponsible not to share the ingredients (if not the proprietary proportions).

All someone has to do is claim an allergic reaction to some unknown ingredient (that they did not consent to using since she refused to disclose) and she will be bankrupt.

At a MINIMUM.

Also, why are you advertising if you only want to sell to people you know?!!

This! 98% of people that she knows + her clients. What does that mean? How many people is that really? Does she have pictures on her site with before and afters?

I don't share recipes online of things that I make that I think might actually be good in case people steal and or tweak and sell them. But I only use the stuff on myself, my kids', and my mom's hair. Done and dusted. That being said, someone refusing to share their ingredient list when they are selling a product is a huge red flag for me. It makes me think that they are not making the products correctly. It might not even be an issue of fungus, but sometimes certain ingredients shouldn't be paired together. It sometimes happens with product lists that are on store shelves -- ingredient lists that look good, but if you know what you're looking at you realize that the list isn't complete (I'm looking at you, KCKT.)

What makes you think the ingredient list for KCKT is incomplete? I love that product.

What makes you think the ingredient list for KCKT is incomplete? I love that product.

If you look at the ingredient list, they don't list "water".

Ingredients : Organic mango extract, organic slipper elm, organic marshmallow root, organic lemongrass, cetyl alcohol, *behentrimonium methosulfate, citric acid, phenoxyethanol and natural fragrance.

It's "minor" but at the same time not. I figure if you can leave out one, then maybe more?

Back