Am I being shallow and superficial?

honeyflaava

I really need some advice and prayer, and perhaps even some loving correction and rebuke about what I'm currently dealing with.

I desire to marry but I struggle with letting go and letting God control this area of my life. I will admit the struggle is due to a lack of trust in God that He will completely satisfy me in this area without my help. I have a particular vision for my future husband that includes what I’m looking for in areas such as spiritually, financially, emotionally, physically, etc. But I really place a lot of emphasis on the physical portion. I am physically attracted to a certain type of man (think Ginuwine, Christian Keyes, Trey Songz) and I know that there is nothing intrinsically wrong with desiring someone who is attractive, but part of me feels wrong for having specific physical requirements and being so adamant about them. I feel like this mainly because of 1 Samuel 16:7 ““But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.”

This is a really big problem for me because I think that God may have already placed the man He has for me into my life that has met or is the process of meeting all of my other requirements, but is lacking in the physical department. He’s a great guy that I’ve known since high school and I’m not so much concerned with his looks, because he’s not ugly, but moreso his height. I’m about 5’6” and he’s only 5’7.” Ideally, I would like a man who is at least 5’11.” I’m really hung up on this physical shortcoming and yes I realize this is nothing that can be changed. That is seriously the only thing that is standing in the way of me really giving this guy a chance. He’s actually had an interest in me since high school which he expressed to me a couple of months ago, and the ball is kinda in my court now.

I guess basically what I want to know is am I being shallow and superficial regarding this guy or just my “requirements” in general and possibly missing out on God’s blessing for me? Should physical appearance really matter that much?

Last edited:
I really need some advice and prayer, and perhaps even some loving correction and rebuke about what I'm currently dealing with.

I desire to marry but I struggle with letting go and letting God control this area of my life. I will admit the struggle is due to a lack of trust in God that He will completely satisfy me in this area without my help. I have a particular vision for my future husband that includes what I’m looking for in areas such as spiritually, financially, emotionally, physically, etc. But I really place a lot of emphasis on the physical portion. I am physically attracted to a certain type of man (think Ginuwine, Christian Keyes, Trey Songz) and I know that there is nothing intrinsically wrong with desiring someone who is attractive, but part of me feels wrong for having specific physical requirements and being so adamant about them. I feel like this mainly because of 1 Samuel 16:7 ““But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.”

This is a really big problem for me because I think that God may have already placed the man He has for me into my life that has met or is the process of meeting all of my other requirements, but is lacking in the physical department. He’s a great guy that I’ve known since high school and I’m not so much concerned with his looks, because he’s not ugly, but moreso his height. I’m about 5’6” and he’s only 5’7.” Ideally, I would like a man who is at least 5’11.” I’m really hung up on this physical shortcoming and yes I realize this is nothing that can be changed. That is seriously the only thing that is standing in the way of me really giving this guy a chance. He’s actually had an interest in me since high school which he expressed to me a couple of months ago, and the ball is kinda in my court now.

I guess basically what I want to know is am I being shallow and superficial regarding this guy or just my “requirements” in general and possibly missing out on God’s blessing for me? Should physical appearance really matter that much?
Hi HoneyF!

I don't think that you are being superficial or shallow. There is nothing wrong in wanting or desiring someone with their looks. However, if that's all you seek, then sometimes God will give us the desires of our heart, and then when the other part of that person is less than what we desired, we can't blame God for what you asked for.

My dh didn't look like anyone I expected to be with, but I knew it was God that bought me to him and I didn't want to miss my blessing because of what I 'saw'...I wanted what God had given me and I was content in that. We will be married 10 years this year and he is the best man...ever! I wouldn't give him up for all the other men in the world!

The best thing to do is to not look for a husband right now. You are not ready. You must first be content with the Lord and His plans for your life and once you know without a doubt that you are released in this area, then begin to wait on the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart...the right way in the right time!

Praying for you that you make the right decisions!

Bless you.

N&W

Back