Am I baggying right?

ShiShiPooPoo

I have been baggying for the past few nights. I spray my bantu knots with SCurl and then take one of my bags from the store and tie it on my head. Then I take my satin scarf and put that on for extra security. When I wake up in the morning my hair is like...damp. Is it the moisture or sweat? I can't tell. I don't feel like I am sweating or anything. I just need to know that this is how it should be.

Um I dunno if thats the style u want to baggy in or thats the way u know how but I baggy two ways:
  1. Ponytail Baggy- I moisturize my entire head and pull into a ponytail > i saturate my ponytail w/ a moisturizer and place a sandwhich bag w/ oil in it to seal my ends > Whulah!
  2. Fullhead Baggy- I cover my entire head w/ Amla Oil or my dryest spots w/ Cholesteral & Amla Oil and I cover w/ a shower cap and a scarf so it doesn't slip off.
~HTH~

I am wearing my hair in the knots right now with extensions added so I am trying to incorporate the baggy thing while my hair is in this style. When you wake up is your hair "wet"?

ShiShiPooPoo said:
I am wearing my hair in the knots right now with extensions added so I am trying to incorporate the baggy thing while my hair is in this style. When you wake up is your hair "wet"?

no: sometimes it may be still a little moist from the oil but that only takes about 5 mins to air dry completely: thats ppl are able to baggy at night: wake up and wear a protective style in the morning: IMO havign wet hair and its braided tightly into extensions seems a little dangerous: on terms that hair is more fragile when wet: so i'm assuming it'll break easily...but i'm no hair scientist: ~HTH~ BUMP

I think everyone's hair is wet after baggying, particularly if you baggy the whole head. I will refrain from discussing how much of that is sweat, how much is sebum and how much just the products you used. :lol: And plastic bag, plastic cap, saran wrap...anything waterproof that keeps products locked away from sheets, etc is good baggying.

A lot of people prefer to baggy just the ends of their hair so they don't have to deal with a whole damp head in the morning. I don't use products when I am in braids but I baggy every single night and haven't suffered from that. Also my hair isn't wet but more like...damp - the way hair feels after you apply a moisturizing product - when I remove the baggy in the morning.

Last edited:
Yes my hair is always damp when I baggy, its not sweat I baggy with different things a lot but when I use scurl I mix a little bit of coconut oil with the scurl in a bottle spritz it all over and sometimes I put some carrot oil on the ends to seal or just any other oil I put my hair in 4 braids put on my plastic cap and then my satin night cap and go to bed next day its always damp but feels super moisturize and strong,

so in my oppinion all you need is a little oil to seal the scurl, you could always try new things with your baggy, last night I baggied with cantu shea butter I smells like coconut, and that's all I put on my hair and next day it felt great, baggying in is not a science all you need to do is make she and have your moisture and seal with some oils and your plastic cap, just keep experimenting happy growing chica!

Yeah, yeah, it's like damp. And yes, it does feel super moist. My knots are not tight at all ( I did them myself so I took extra care). I know it's not rocket science but I tend to overthink things. It's kinda like when folks have a jheri curl and they keep that cap on to keep the juices flowin' right?

ShiShiPooPoo said:
Yeah, yeah, it's like damp. And yes, it does feel super moist. My knots are not tight at all ( I did them myself so I took extra care). I know it's not rocket science but I tend to overthink things. It's kinda like when folks have a jheri curl and they keep that cap on to keep the juices flowin' right?

Its something like that, you are gonna love baggying my hair loves it I baggy every single night, I always mix stuff up this with that, but whenever u use the scurl go easy don't spray to much just mist it, also pay attention to your hair because some members say it over moisturize there hair and led to breakage but for me its help me retain most of my length I have no split ends and my ends are strong :)

Guesswho I looked at your Fotki...your hair is gorgeous! Can you tell me a little about the Sedal line? I know a hispanic grocer that carries this line and have always wondered about it. Would it remind me of Silicon Mix at all? Silicon Mix is my holy grail shampoo and conditioner. I like lots and lots of slip.

Oh, I will take your advice about just misting with the Scurl. I tend to be very heavy handed with products. Tonight I fully saturated my hair with it and then used Amla oil to seal as you suggested. My hair must love this Scurl because it soaks it right up!

Back