Alternative to Mango Butter

madamdot

Alternative to Mango Butter???

Does anyone have a suggestion to Elasta QP Mango butter? I like the product but I cant stand the smell which is ironic since I love mangoes. I am not sure why - but the smell has gotton so bad that I just cant use it anymore.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Where do you find this? I went to Sally's to look for some and they didn't have any. Do you use it on your ends?

blackbarbie said:
Where do you find this? I went to Sally's to look for some and they didn't have any. Do you use it on your ends?

I've seen it in the bss store and I believe I even saw it in Walgreen's. I personally don't use it. I tried it once and I didn't like it. It dried my hair out.

Here's the store locator for Elasta products....
http://www.elastaqp.com/storeLocator.html

I think the mango butter has a unique texture, but Profectiv has several products that may be comparable - Healthy Ends, Break free, for example.

HoneyDew said:
I think the mango butter has a unique texture, but Profectiv has several products that may be comparable - Healthy Ends, Break free, for example.

Ooh, I have the Profectiv (haven't used it yet, but it was dirt cheap so I bought it) but when I first bought it, I thought it was a daily moisturizing cream, but as i read the container, it said to use throughout the hair prior to blow-drying or rollersetting. Which way have you had the best results?

blackbarbie said:
Most BSS have it. It's kind thick and waxy to me. I use it for buns mostly. Not for curling.

As an alternative to this i use pca and biosilk gloss

Last edited:
You could use ORS Olive Oil Hair Moisturizer. It is a creamy moisturizer that works well. I only stopped using it because I discovered mango butter and did like the smell. I can see how over time the smell might get on your nerves though. It's almost like eating too much sugar....just overload.

If you are looking for a product to smooth your edges for a bun or to just make your edges lay down this product is SUPERB! Vonte Silk Effects

a_Silk_Effects_XL_m.jpg

www.vonteproducts.com

blackbarbie said:
Ooh, I have the Profectiv (haven't used it yet, but it was dirt cheap so I bought it) but when I first bought it, I thought it was a daily moisturizing cream, but as i read the container, it said to use throughout the hair prior to blow-drying or rollersetting. Which way have you had the best results?

I use it as a daily cream, but I also use the Break-Free or Root Health for dry roller sets overnight. I never use it before blowdrying because I flat iron after. It just does not get along with the flatiron, in my opinion.

I have put it on my wet hair and let it hair dry. It air drys nicely this way.

But of the Profectiv, Healthy Ends is the closest texture to Mango Butter.

You could also get some Shea Butter or Carrot Cream and mix it with an oil to make it creamier like Mango Butter. Emu oil is good for this.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I really appreciate it. I might try the ORS Olive Oil.

tthreat08 - thats funny about the sugar overload ... that might be it. I have a very sensitive sense of smell so anything that has a overly sweet smell makes me want to gag.... including anything that has shea butter in it. It can get so bad that if I find the scent objective I cant sleep with it on. I also cant stand smelling like food.

I like the mango butter because it moisturized and kept things under control. I am only 5 weeks post and my hair is out of control. I am seriously thinking about a relaxer even though my plan was to stretch until Christmas.... yea I know - not long for most people on the board but this is my first try. Hopefully this will help.

Thanks all

HoneyDew said:
I use it as a daily cream, but I also use the Break-Free or Root Health for dry roller sets overnight. I never use it before blowdrying because I flat iron after. It just does not get along with the flatiron, in my opinion.

I have put it on my wet hair and let it hair dry. It air drys nicely this way.

But of the Profectiv, Healthy Ends is the closest texture to Mango Butter.

You could also get some Shea Butter or Carrot Cream and mix it with an oil to make it creamier like Mango Butter. Emu oil is good for this.

Thanks! Going to do a rollerset today and I'll use the BreakFree. With everything else I use, my hair is really soft so I am hoping the Profectiv will blend in well with all the other products i use.

blackbarbie said:
Thanks! Going to do a rollerset today and I'll use the BreakFree. With everything else I use, my hair is really soft so I am hoping the Profectiv will blend in well with all the other products i use.

I think you will like it. I am actualyl going to be doing this from now own. I was getting weaves, but i really missed doing my own hair. Roller sets will be the way to go it seems.

By the way, you and your sister have great hair! Can't wait until i'm there!

I think that the ORS Olive Oil is very oily/greasy and is nothing like the Mango butter. The only thing i have found similiar to Mango butter is the EQP Recovery Oil Moisturizer. It is not oily/greasy at all. It's still very light and wont weigh the hair down. The only difference is that it doesn't really have a smell to it, and also it has less protein in it. so you won't have the hard dry hair effect like you have when you use too much Mango butter. I'd highly suggest to try it...it only costs about $3. Also the UBH creme moisturizer is very similiar to these 2, but it doesn't contain any protein and any oils at all. It has all great ingredients. but it's kinda expensive. :ohwell:

Last edited:
Mizani_Mrs said:
I think that the ORS Olive Oil is very oily/greasy and is nothing like the Mango butter. The only thing i have found similiar to Mango butter is the EQP Recovery Oil Moisturizer. It is not oily/greasy at all. It's still very light and wont weigh the hair down. The only difference is that it doesn't really have a smell to it, and also it has less protein in it. so you won't have the hard dry hair effect like you have when you use too much Mango butter. I'd highly suggest to try it...it only costs about $3. Also the UBH creme moisturizer is very similiar to these 2, but it doesn't contain any protein and any oils at all. It has all great ingredients. but it's kinda expensive. :ohwell:

There are two kinds of ORS Olive Oil. There is the one that is more greasy like a pomade, and there is the hair lotion. The hair lotion is not greasy (in my opinion).

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
Cantu Shea grow strengthening creme

i've been looking for cantu products but i don't know where to find them. i went to sally's and they said they don't carry that brand

Back