Alternative leave in help

cairopiper

Hi Ladies,

I've been on my hair journey for some time now and one of the things I've found hard to get is a decent leave in which helps me detangle easily and where I don't lose a shed load of hair whilst doing so.

There was one thing I used years ago which worked like a charm but it's not made any more. It was called Avec Professional Smooth and Shine Straightening Cream and the minute I put it in my tangles disappeared. I think I even wrote a post about it at the time back in '08 or '09.

So anyway, what I was really hoping for your help with, was to try to find an alternative with similar ingredients/properties to the Avec which were:
Aqua, Cyclomethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, PVP/VA Copolymer, Amodimethicone, Cocodimonium Hydroxpropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Carbomer, Dimethicone, Laureth-10, Triethanolamine, Parfum, Cetrimonium Chloride, Trideceth-12, Hexyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Limonene, Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Nitrate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

If I'm right in thinking the concentration of ingredients is highest to lowest, I guess I'm looking for stuff with Cyclomethicone in it? I just need to be able to comb through my hair after DCing and rinsing on wash day without tons of hair coming out.

TIA
Cairo
x

I use Giovanni Direct leave in and beautiful textures leave in. They don't really have silicones high on the list but work really well

You might also want to try Aussie moist products. They have quite a bit of silicones and many ladies on here seem to like that line

i highly recommend razac leave in conditioner.it has tons of slip. Here are the ingredients:

Deionized water, polyquaternium-11, cyclomethicone,
demethicone copolyol, PPG-S Ceteth-10 Phosphate,
Polyquaternium-10, Fragrance,
Methylparaben.

i would also recommend vitale leave in conditioner. It has a few more ingredients that are similar to the one you posted

Water,hydrolyzed vegetable protein,cetrimonium chloride,amodimethicone,trideceth-12,hammelisa virginiana water,panthenol,polyquarternium-10,dicetyldimonium chloride,tetrasodium edta,olea europaea fruit extract,propylene glycol,angelica archangelica root extract, arctium lappa root extract,symptyum officinale leaf extract,chamomillia recutica flower extract,viscum album extract,urtica dioica extract,avena savita extract, rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract,salvia officinale leaf extract, nasturtium officinale extract,polysorbate 20,dmdm hydantoin, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, fragrance

Last edited:
I'm going to use my Wen MC for cleansing until there's about 1/4 left then open my 613 and use the remainder MC for my leave in

I just looked at my bottle of CHI silk infusion and it has very, very similar ingredients to your list. I love that stuff!!! It has slip like no other! If you're cool with cones, I'd suggest finding a small bottle and trying it out. I also like adding aloe Vera gel to almost anything. That gel makes my hair incredibly easy to detangle as well. Hth!

I've used cones in the past every once in a while when I just absolutely could not get slip from anything else.

Of course you have to be careful with silicones and make sure you are using a cleanser that can remove them. But, I believe that they are very good for sealing the cuticle and gettting good slip for detangling.

I like BioSilk Silk Therapy. A little goes a long way.
Ingredients
Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, SD Alcohol 40-B, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethyl Ester of Hydrolyzed Silk, Panthenol, Phenoxyethanol,Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Parfum (Fragrance). Hexyl Cinnamic Aldehyde, Benzyl Benzoate, Linalool, Gamma Methyl Ionone, Citronellol, Lilial, Hydroxy Citronellol, Geraniol, and Eugenol.

I use sally's mixed silk leave in conditioner. I put on oil before I use it, and then the tangles just fall right out of my hair. I love that it has wheat protein and hydrolized collagen. this is the product that made me decide cones are ok in my regimen! It has the texture of a creamy hand soap it's really slippery and nice.

INGREDIENTS:
WATER ,AMODIMETHICONE ,WHEAT AMINO ACIDS ,STEARALKONIUM CHLORIDE ,GLYCERIN ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,POLYSORBATE 60 ,METHYL GLUCETH-20 ,GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE ,ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE ,HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE ,SIMMONDSIA CHINENSIS (JOJOBA) SEED OIL ,CARTHAMUS TINCTORIUS (SAFFLOWER) SEED OI ,OENOTHERA BIENNIS (EVENING PRIMROSE) OIL ,SILK AMINO ACIDS ,HYDROLYZED COLLAGEN ,DMDM HYDANTOIN ,METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE ,METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE ,YELLOW 5 ,YELLOW 6 ,FRAGRANCE ,ALPHA ISOMETHYL IONONE ,BENZYL BENZOATE ,BENZYL SALICYLATE ,CITRONELLOL ,HEXYL CINNAMAL ,LIMONENE ,LINALOOL

I use Giovanni’s weightless leave in conditioner. It doesn’t have any silicone on the list... or I don’t see it...

You mean a wet hair leave in or a everyday detangler? Cause I use a weak dc as a leave in on wash days and a braid sheen spray on regular days. I also use my cowash coditioner as a leave in.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using LHCF

Hi ladies,

Wow, thanks for all your advice/recommendations. I shall certainly look into them.

The one I did get a few years ago was the Giovanni as a lot of ladies said it worked really well for them but unfortunately it didn't work for me so I ended up throwing it out :nono:

I'm not sure which ones I'll be able to get over here in the UK but I'll get to searching right now and will let you know if any of them are the answer to my detangling/leave in issues.

Thanks again ladies, you're the best :yep:

Cairo
x

I haven't found the perfect leave-in yet but the product with the most slip is IC Fantasia Leave-in Hair and Scalp Treatment - it's a clear liquid that feels almost slimy to the touch, so maybe if you find sth that moisturizes well with the right texture you could add the ICF to it and have the best of both.

Back