Aloe vera gel for detangling/curl definition

Divine Inspiration

Alright ladies, I intended to post this over the weekend, but I couldn't get my LHCF fix. :(

I had a WONDERFUL hairperience with aloe vera gel as a leave-in/detangler/curl definer. I pooed/DCed on Saturday evening, and the first thing I applied to my soaking wet hair was aloe vera gel (AVG from here on out). Detangling seemed even easier than it has been, and the shine was nice too. So I proceeded to add the other leave-in and combed through. I did a braid-out-esque style, and the definition was out of this world! Every mountain and valley was defined...no frizz, lots of shine.

I looked for a thread on this, but didn't find one that mentioned using AVG in this capacity. A couple of ladies mentioned AVG but no one seemed to get the same results I did. So I'm wondering if anyone else has had these results using it on wet hair. I've used it before on wet & dry hair, but I wasn't doing a textured style so I don't guess I realized how un-frizzy the AVG made it.

The brand I used was Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly w/ Certified Organic Aloe Vera (courtesy of Whole Foods Market $3.99/4 oz.).

Anyhoo, just wanted to share... :look:

Last edited:
Oooh this makes me excited about how I'm going to style my hair when I take my braids out. I'm not going to straighten my hair until new year's eve because I don't want to be disappointed that my hair didn't grow or get excited about my newly acquired growth and then it not grow anymore after I take the braids out. I have some aloe vera gel, but I have the Fruit of the Earth. That was what was available to me when I went to K-mart. but it looks like it might be cool for curl definition. We'll see...

I JUST discovered AVG too!!!! I use it with S-curl and EVOO for my moisturizer. I will DEFINITELY be trying it to detangle! If any of you decide to try it, make sure it is "alcohol-free".

I've used this method before and had nice shine and definition on my braidouts but the AVG eventually tried out or evaporated and that made my hair ultra dry. My hair only stayed moist for 8 hrs, I think that if I try this in the future I will add it with other moisturizers, maybe then I will have good results.

Alli77,

I thought I was the only this happened to, AVO dried my hair out too and it's been he** trying to get it back to it's soft state. My hair became so dry that I couldn't even comb through it, in my struggle to get the comb through my hair I suffered major hair loss. I went from thick to thin hair in a matter of a month. My hair lenght was at mid back but because of the thinning from the breakage I got 4 inches cut off Friday, now I'm just above bra strap which is usually where I keep my hair anyways.

I staying my a** away from the AVO, good luck though.

:)
shalom said:
Alli77,

I thought I was the only this happened to, AVO dried my hair out too and it's been he** trying to get it back to it's soft state. My hair became so dry that I couldn't even comb through it, in my struggle to get the comb through my hair I suffered major hair loss. I went from thick to thin hair in a matter of a month. My hair lenght was at mid back but because of the thinning from the breakage I got 4 inches cut off Friday, now I'm just above bra strap which is usually where I keep my hair anyways.

OMG! so sorry you had to go through this! Whenever I notice anything going wrong I usually wash it out immediately. I know that not all natural products works for everyone...glyercine is another example...it does moisturize my hair but eventually no matter how much I dilute it it will get my hair sticky and dry it out...but if I mix AVO with a heavy butter like shea, mango and glycerin I have a stellar product! But for me straight AVO or Glycerin is a no-no. I'm sorry you had to go through this and I wish you good luck with your hair journey.

shalom said:
Alli77,

:eek: Sorry to hear about that...

For those of you experiencing dryness, do you use a moisturizer before using the gel? And did you use the avg with alcohol or no? Just curious...

Since aloe vera is essentially a "liquid" (just in gel form), it is best to put on first. I put it on before everything else, then I seal with EVOO.

Mine is alcohol-free. *Never* get the kind with alcohol in it, you will dry out your hair and cause breakage.

Millah03 said:
For those of you experiencing dryness, do you use a moisturizer before using the gel? And did you use the avg with alcohol or no? Just curious...

I used Fruit of the Earth Brand...I don't remember if it had alcohol in it, I also did not apply a moisturizer prior to putting on the AVG.

In high school, I used aloe vera gel as hair gel, and it always left my hair soft, but at the same time held it in place as a gel. I should try it for detangling...hmmm.

just so ya know: Fruit of the the Earth is gel with SOME aloe vera thrown in as one of many ingredients. its is not the same as AVG nor reaps any of the healthy benefits. Lily of the Valley is the kind to get, or just by a leaf for 1.99 anywhere in NYC or get a plant. THIS is amazing when you have the real thing.

Thanks ladies for the words of encouragement. The AVO I used is by Aubrey's it's supposed to be pure. Alli77, Glycerin (Scurl) didn't work for me either, but what does work is QP Mango butter, World of Curls and a little Puddy by VO5 I use this on my edges.

What I was using the AVO for was as pre-poo. What I did was put it all over my hair let it sit for about 2 hours then I would shampoo as normal. I did this 2x's a week for about 3 weeks. My hair is colored treated as well, this could have also added to dryness.

shalom said:
Thanks ladies for the words of encouragement. The AVO I used is by Aubrey's it's supposed to be pure. Alli77, Glycerin (Scurl) didn't work for me either, but what does work is QP Mango butter, World of Curls and a little Puddy by VO5 I use this on my edges.

What I was using the AVO for was as pre-poo. What I did was put it all over my hair let it sit for about 2 hours then I would shampoo as normal. I did this 2x's a week for about 3 weeks. My hair is colored treated as well, this could have also added to dryness.

I'm a faithful QP mango butter user, this stuff is awesome! I wished that they sold it in larger sizes tho...

I will be testing this in the next few days on me and my daughter. He pic is in the advatar, she has cotton soft hair, in a natural state it draws fuzz left and right. I have to put a kid relaxer in 1-2 minutes every 13 weeks to keep it beautiful, I would luv not to. I will try the AVG and cream leave mix and report the results between my hair and hers...

hotshot said:
just so ya know: Fruit of the the Earth is gel with SOME aloe vera thrown in as one of many ingredients. its is not the same as AVG nor reaps any of the healthy benefits. Lily of the Valley is the kind to get, or just by a leaf for 1.99 anywhere in NYC or get a plant. THIS is amazing when you have the real thing.

:perplexed So I didnt get the right brand? SO IT COULD BE WORKING BETTER? :(

so now i gotta buy more hair stuff. :)

I just started using AVG a couple weeks ago and I love it. I use it in my hair after I do my co wash and it really brings my curls out.

Last edited:
I haven't used avg in a long while. I do combine it with my dilluted acv rinse , it's basically half water and the other half is aloe vera gel. Works for me :)

Thanks I have been looking for something like this... I am also transitioning to texlaxed hair...I don't think i'll be going natural though

hotshot said:

How could that be so when the bottle say 100% and doesn't list any other ingredients. Do they not have to be listed on the botle?

DatJerseyDyme said:
How could that be so when the bottle say 100% and doesn't list any other ingredients. Do they not have to be listed on the botle?
That's what I thought too. :confused:

I used some yesterday for my wet set and the curls are strong and bouncy, but a bit dry - good thing it's not raining today. I'll try mixing it with an oil next time.

That's what I thought too. :confused:

I used some yesterday for my wet set and the curls are strong and bouncy, but a bit dry - good thing it's not raining today. I'll try mixing it with an oil next time.

I'd also like to know the answer to this question, as I also have Fruit of the Earth at home and thought it was like 99.99% aloe vera...???

Back