Almost natural---did mini chop

Brownie

Hello everyone!
As most of you know, I've been transitioning for 14 months---almost a year and a 1/2. The other night, I did a mini chop (4-5 inches). I would've cut it all off, but I quickly found out that my natural hair has a lot of shrinkage. WHen stretched, my hair at the bottom is below collarbone/almost top of armpit; unstretched, my hair is around ear length. Being such, I left 1-3 inches on the ends. I'll cut this off in the following months when I get more length to compensate for the shrinkage. I need enough length, so I can pull my hair back in its natural state. I need to keep my protective style. My curls look like spirals, very springy, and the pattern is a cross between a s and a loose z---very interesting. I can't believe I ever let a hairdresser and relaxers ever get near these curls.

Chopping was a hard decision to make, but I feel better now that it's done. Now, I just have to learn how to take care of my hair in its natural state. I've been natural for most of my life, but I always pressed. I never learned how to take care of my hair in a wash and wear way. I never wore my curls out, so this will be an interesting experience.

interesting! i can't wait to have a lot of natural hair. i'm going to try to transition for 2 years and then cut my relaxed ends off. i might do a mini-chop after 1 year like you did. :)

Good for you Brownie, congrats on the chop! :up: I started my transition in July '03, so around the same time that you did. I also did my first mini chop in October, and I just cut the rest of the ends that were left in the top (3-4 inches) tonight. I must say, I'm very glad to have my hair 100% natural, although it is shorter than I'm used to. I just couldn't deal with the ends any more. Anyways, good luck with the completion of your transition and your natural journey. :)

Hey Brownie :wave:

Dang, am I late or what!!! I didn't realize that u were transitioning. Wow, girlfriend, u MUST post some pics... where dey at :cool:

Last edited:
Peachtree said:
Hey Brownie :wave:

Dang, am I late or what!!! I didn't realize that u were transitioning. Wow, girlfriend, u MUST post some pics... where dey at :cool:

Hello Peachtree!
I'm not at the picture phase yet. Maybe when all the ends are gone. I checked out your album the other day. You have as much shrinkage as I do. Your hair looks so pretty. BTW, I did the cut right after I looked at your daughter's beautiful natural hair (smile).

Back