All You Naturals, Which Flat Iron Do You Prefer? Sedu or Solia?

Which flat iron do you prefer?

• Sedu

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Solia

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

enscott14

Hey lovely ladies! I have been natural for going on 5 years now and I have been having a VERY hard time with flat ironing my own hair. It comes out brittle, hard, stiff, and just a hot mess!:sad:

So anyway, I wanted to know which flat iron between Sedu and Solia do you prefer? Also, what products and/or technique do you use when blowdrying and flat ironing?

Thanks ladies!

I'm partial to the sedu b/c I never used the solia. The steps I use to flatiron my natural are:

-clarify my hair
-deep condition seperately with a protein then a moisturizing conditioners
-apply my leave-in which is actually a conditioner (yes to cucumbers or giovanni smooth as silk)
-section my hair 6-8 braids and let it air dry about 85% (I also apply nioxin thermal bliss heat protectant)
-blowdry on medium heat to stretch the hair as long as possible also use the cool shot button to seal the cuticles.
-Depending how I feel I might use the satin press creme or chi silk infusion on my blowdried hair before I begin to flatiron.
-take small sections starting from the back and do the comb chase method (sometimes I use a ceramic britsle brush) with my sedu 1.5" at 360 deg and make 2 swipes (slow swipes)

In my siggy is the result of my last flatiron job. Hth

Honestly the sedu is my choice over all the other brand if u go to folica.com the sedu is #1 based on the thousands of users reviews, check it out..

I am nearly 6 months post. I used the Sedu along with Paul Mitchell Skinny products. It straightened my hair beautifully and has lasted through my night sweats (minus my edges that got a little wet in the shower).

Wow, great tips ladies! Thanks a bunch! Yeah I am looking to purchase one or the other but needed some real opinions! Thanks a lot!

I never used the solia but I miss my sedu :(

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I love my Solia and have never gotten damage and I turn it up to 450 :look:
And i have tried a sedu, my sister's, and it worked well too but I found the solia easier to manuever since i use the comb chase method or rather the brush chase lol. But the sedu does have wider plates so if that is a feature you like then choose that one.

But i really do love my solia. If something were to happen to it i'd just buy another one.

ETA: I shampoo regularly or clarify if i've been using heavy products, steam with one of my dominican conditioners or aubrey's if i have it. I then use sabino and airdry in 8 braids or lightly blowdry in 8 sections with a widetooth comb. I add a little more sabino then use a brush to apply tension as i flat iron. My presses last 2 to 3 weeks (if i can stand not washing for that long)

Last edited:
I like the solia but its the only flat iron I have and it works really well. Sorry this is a long post but I assure you that technic is probably more important than the tool cause you can have a great iron but ugly hair. Also westndianbeauty (spell check) is great at getting her hair straight

Steps I take to flat iron
Clarify hair
sometimes protein treatment
Definately moisturing deep condition as long as possible (overnight is great)
Final rinse with acv
2 choices two dry hair
If I blow dry then I section my hair pulling down as tight as possible to make the hair straight then take the blow dryer and go over it, no comb is needed lose less hair
If I air dry I put in about 10-12 braids; i've been experimenting with flat ironing slightly damp hair and I like it
Finally I flat iron in small section and use either a comb or a brush to "chase" the flat iron down my hair so it gets the ends straight

I put both a leave in and heat protectant on my hair before blow dry cause I like my hair to be a little heavy but you don't have to, and I use rice brand oil as my heat protectant it has a burning point of 450F but I flat iron between 350-370. Hope this helps :)

I have two flat irons (Sedu and FHI Runway). I've never used or owned a Solia, but the Sedu is a very good flat iron.

I also have two flat irons. I have the Sedu and a hana elite. I LOVE the hana elite. I have not given Sedu a fighting chance though, I used it once and it didn't do jack for my hair.

I've only owned the Sedu & really like it. I bought it about 4 years ago after going through a lot of the reviews on Folica. I do the brush chase method for the smoothest & fewest passes. :) However, I haven't flat ironed my hair in nearly 2 years since being introduced to the dominican salon. ~ __~ I tend to just use it for a styled bang once in a while.

Back