All these henna threads...and i still don't know what to do!!

JerriBlank

I feel so overwhelmed by the henna threads!
They have a ton of information(which is a good thing),but it seems like most of the rules don't apply to me and what i'm going for.I have sandy brown hair,and i do not want to darken my hair with the henna because it would not match me at all.

I would love to get the soft reddish tones that i have been reading so much about but i don't know exactly to do.I want it to condition my hair,and i also want that shine and strength.

Sooooo,this is what it is:i got some Afshan Mehndi henna(that i was straight suckered into buying:spinning:)
However,i do want to try it.Where the heck do i start? I'm not expecting a gazillion responses,a girl just needs some help on this before i rupture a nerve in my head trying to go through those 50 page threads:lachen:
Thanks y'all!

Last edited:
I am fairly new to Henna as well and felt the same way as you when I started. It seemed that everyone added all of these really exotic ingredients and I was just like huh?:look: I didn't even know what pectin or hibiscus powder was! Well, I keep my mix really simple. Last week I used Jamila henna which is very smooth (I liked it a lot). I put in some amla powder, coconut milk and avocado oil and allowed it to sit for about 24 hours for dye release. I applied and then let it sit some more for about 24 hours. My hair is very dark so I don't think that I would add the amla (tends to darken the hair) if I were you but just do a very simple mix! If your hair is dry like mine, the avocado oil and coconut milk made a big difference. My hair wasn't dry AT ALL and it usually feels like sand after I henna to the point where I have to do a massive dc after. I hope this helps!

It CAN be overwhelming before you take the henna plunge. ShishiPoo seems to have a good mix going on. I think if you do a moisturizing prepoo, include coconut milk and honey in your mix and DC afterwards, you can't go wrong. I've henna'd weekly for the last 8 weeks, and it's gotten easier each time. Try it on for 2 to 3 hours the first time, then keep it on longer as you get more comfortable with it. Good Luck!!! :grin:

Really it's not that hard at all!!!

All I do is use, henna, cheap conditioner ( one without cones like Vo5), little oil ( either alma or olive) and that's it. Because i go for a darker look I will add a little brewed coffee but very little. Let it sit while I am pre-poo with oil, shampoo, add henna, let sit for about 2 hours, rinse out really good, do an oil rinse, DC and style.

The oil rinse to to bring some softness back to the hair because henna seems to be a little drying. Also make sure that when you DC it is a moisturizing conditioner.

HTH

Thanks to the ladies that answered:yep:
I needed somewhere to start.
Now what do i do to get that reddish tone?Does the henna do that by itsel\f,or do i add something?

I've hennaed monthly since my BC April 1st 2007, and love the colour i'm getting. I add nothing to whatever brand of henna I happen to be using to achieve the red.

Here is my mix:

100 grams of BAQ henna
1 cup of ACV
1-1 1/2 water

I mush this up in a ziploc and let it sit overnight. Right before I "mud up" I add a couple of TBLSP's of a nourishing oil to A. make application easier B. Combat any possible dryness C. make the rinse out easy

I leave my mix in for about 4 hrs, sometimes blasting for 15 minutes at a time under my hooded dryer. I rinse with COPIOUS amounts of V05 Free Me Fresia or whatever other pure moisture cone free conditioner I have handy. I DC with White Rain Water Blossom (my HG product) & amla oil.

It DOES get easier with each application. Clean up is a breeze as long as I have a Mr. Clean erasing sponge handy!

Thanks to the ladies that answered:yep:
I needed somewhere to start.
Now what do i do to get that reddish tone?Does the henna do that by itsel\f,or do i add something?

Henna releases a red color. The type of henna determines the shade and tone of the red. If you added nothing but water and let the color release for a few hours, you would get the red color.

Henna releases a red color. The type of henna determines the shade and tone of the red. If you added nothing but water and let the color release for a few hours, you would get the red color.
Thanks! This is what i wanted to know specifically:yep:

Great thread for a beginner. This really breaks it down very simply. This is what I needed too!

But, if I want my hair Jetblack then I would have to use indigo after the henna?

TIA

Yup!
But Indigo is hard to find unless you buy it on line.
www.mehandi.com is a very comprehensive and her shipping is reasonable - at least to me. She also has a book that you can read online and offers samples so you can try it first. I buy and use Cassia from the woman who runs the site and she responds to questions quickly.
HTH

Last edited:
Yup!
www.mehandi.com is a very comprehensive and her shipping is reasonable - at least to me. She also has a book that you can read online and offers samples so you can try it first. I buy and use Cassia from the woman who runs the site and she responds to questions quickly.
HTH

So do you think that the kind i am using is okay?The powder is green:perplexed
Is it supposed to be like that?

So do you think that the kind i am using is okay?The powder is green:perplexed
Is it supposed to be like that?

Yes, henna is generally green or brownish. The green henna is of a better quality than the brown variety. It shouldn't be a bright green, though.

Last edited:
Yup!
HTH

Thank you! So you use cassia preferably to henna? What's the difference?

Yes, henna is generally green or brownish. The green henna is of a better quality than the brown variety. It shouldn't be a bright green, though.

Yay! cool then!Thanks mami!
And bumping for an answer to Jetblackhair's question.

@ Jetblackhair
I use Cassia- cause its neutral I dont want any color deposited onto my hair cause Its bleached. It also provides the long term moisturizing benefit that Henna has. I really do advise you to go to the link in my last posting- you can get alot of information and you can get a sample for a dollar.

@ Jetblackhair
I use Cassia- cause its neutral I dont want any color deposited onto my hair cause Its bleached. It also provides the long term moisturizing benefit that Henna has. I really do advise you to go to the link in my last posting- you can get alot of information and you can get a sample for a dollar.

Thanks for the info Nappity! I'll check it out.

Hey girl!
Did you try your henna yet. I bought the same brand but...mine has a sticker on it saying intended for dye use and conditioning. Is this BAQ and is it safe?

Quick question for henna/cassia experts...I know noticed in some of the posts above it says to use a cone free conditioner if you are making a gloss, just curious as to why it needs to be cone free? Thanks!

Back