all my work undone in 1 week (and a bit)

Danichoo

Hi

I cant believe i have made such a catalogue of mistakes knowing everthing I have learnt on the board. My hair is breaking and i need help or I am sure I will have to cut my just past APL to ear lenght :sad:

After a 9 week stretch I self relaxed. it seemed fine, but after a few days I noticed 1 quater was underprocessed.

4 weeks later I tried to correct it , I also had lots of new growth and even tho I used ORS super on for the maximum time, I underprocessed ( I now think this was due to product on my hair, I am a coconut oil convert), I also found with ORS there is not much shampoo- maybe i didnt rinse enough?

So, I immediately did a protein treatmet, smothered my hair in ors moisurising lotion and sealed my ends with Ors soy oil (went on a ORS shopping trip)

BIG MISTAKE

Soy oil is protein!!! so my hair became dry and immediately after day 4 began breaking, huge breaks , it got to the point where if i even touched my hair, lots of little breaks fell in the sink.

So by day 6 I realised that the ors combo is bad, and do daily co washes , NO combing/manipulation with moisturizing conditioner air drying with Shea butter (kids organics)

My hair feels ALOT better but I am still losing more hair than normal and now I have noticed I have Split ends which I have never had!!

I just want to cry- after everything I have done to retain lenght. ANY ANY help on how to stop the breakage and infuse more moisture would be helpful- I have just dusted my ends to see if this helps but I am considering an Big chop....

I'm sorry Dani... I can't help because I am still too new to this too really give good advice on this. My best advice is to PM sistaslick. She knows a lot about that protein/moisture balance and she does the relaxer tutorials. She may be able to tell you how to save your hair. I hope you don't have to cut it!:bighug:

This is actually why, starting with my last relaxer, I stopped doing my own relaxers. I was routinely underprocessing parts of my hair and overprocessing other parts. Plus, the no-lye relaxers were drying my hair out and there was no way I was comfortable putting a lye based relaxer in my own hair. I've learned enough to know how to observe the hair care practices of my stylist so I felt comfortable going back to a salon again.

This is actually why, starting with my last relaxer, I stopped doing my own relaxers. I was routinely underprocessing parts of my hair and overprocessing other parts. Plus, the no-lye relaxers were drying my hair out and there was no way I was comfortable putting a lye based relaxer in my own hair. I've learned enough to know how to observe the hair care practices of my stylist so I felt comfortable going back to a salon again.

The same can be said for me. I paid for it dearly with very damaged ends :sad:

Oh wow Dani! I'm so sorry this happened! :sad: I wish there were something I could do. Well, the only thing I can say is just take it day by day. :yep: You've already mentioned that you've noticed an improvement as far as seeing less breakage, so take that as encouragement that you're doing something right to correct your mistake. :yep: Less manipulation in situations like this is always best. I would say avoid any and all protein for a while…I mean any products with protein in them. Just DC with your best moisturizing conditoner and bun for days straight. No combing is best right now.:yep:

Smarty pants made some really good points. Read Sistaslick's articles about the protein and moisture balance. Its very informative. :grin: On another note, I also agree with smarty about self relaxing. This is also why I don’t self relax. Some people can and more power to them, but I cannot. :wallbash: I cant see in the back of my head and I don’t want to play around with chemicals like that. There are so many chances to overlap and make a mistake and underprocess because you missed a spot….I don’t have time for all that. I just let my stylist do it and I trust him so no biggie.

Hope everything works out for you and remember, moisture, moisture, moisture and as little manipulation as possible will help you get through this!

Last edited:
Hi Dani... I'm sorry to hear this is happening.
I know you said you have been doing co-washes... have you done a really good deep conditioner to counter-act the protein overload? Use a really good moisturizing conditioner and sit under heat for 15-30 minutes. If you don't have heat then just leave it on for about an hour and your hair will start to soften more and the breaking will hopefully subside.
Also, normally when I'm going to do a relaxer treatment on myself, I clarify the week before just to make sure that I get most of the product off my hair prior to the treatment to make sure that it does not act as a barrier to the relaxer and cause underprocessing.
Hopefully this helps... it's all trial and error I guess. I'm sure it will be fine, you sound like you are on top of it so stay positive :yep:

One more thing Dani... do a search for "Home Grown Steam Treatment" (sorry, I am horrible with linking). Give yourself a very deep moisturizing conditioning treatment that way. I do them twice a week because it takes a lot for my hair to retain moisture.

I recently suffered breakage and shedding too after a bad relaxer. I tried many conditioners and treatments that were only temporary fixes. The only thing I found that worked was loreal's hair fixer from sally's. It comes in a blue and white box, it's six pills that you dissolve in a hair lotion (you only use one pill per wash). I noticed a difference after the very 1st wash, I used it with 3 consecutive shampoos and then took a break, used it again yesterday and again I noticed the difference. If you're gonna try this these are the things you need to know:

1. Don't use a conditioner, this is suppose to penetrate the hair and conditioner will just
form a barrier that will keep it from penetrating.
2. I found that if I put the hair fixer in, let it absorb for a few minutes (15-30) and then
use a leave in conditioner I get better results. The first time I didn't use a rinse out
or a leave in and it left my hair a little dry, and I had to moisturize quite bit but the
benefits were obvious once I got some moisture in it.
3. You use this every wash till you feel that your hair does not need it anymore, then
just use it every 3-4 washes as needed to keep up your hair's health.
Good Luck

I agree with the others suggested moisturizing deep conditioning. :yep: Right there where you did the initial protein treatment after realizing that you were underprocessed, you should have done some moisturizing deep conditioning. :yep: (* Now, if you had over-processed your hair, then protein would have helped you there. It would have helped restructure the hair a bit and give it some strength. But, since you are underprocessed, you are working with hair that has not had an adequate number of bonds broken to produce a smooth result. You did not need restructuring because if anything, this hair is probably healthier than the fully processed hair you have. It simply requires a bit of special care.) :yep:

Also, co-washing is great, but for you, at this time, doing them daily is probably way too much manipulation. They are good for quick moisture boosts, but they don’t give you the longterm mileage that deep conditioning w/ heat provides. Then coming out of a relaxer, you really need to give your hair a little more. Someone said it before, and it’s true-- deep conditioning regularly can forgive A LOT of hair sins. That’s why I think it is SO, SO, SO important to invest in a good deep conditioner. You can skimp on everything else, but you need to have that one conditioner that just seals the deal!

So my suggestion:
Styling: With underprocessed hair blended with fully processed hair, you definitely want to keep styling manipulation to a minimum. I’d try a hands off style like a braidout, bun, or rollerset, . . . wash and deep condition every 4 days or so, then restyle. What shampoo and conditioner combo are you currently using for moisture? Make sure that along with the moisture, the line isn't not slapping on additional proteins.:yep:

I suggest clarifying the hair to remove any buildup you may have gotten from the daily co-washes. Then begin the rigorous deep conditioning regimen. I'd do every 4 days with heat (20 mins), or whatever fits your wash schedule. Product wise, I am super biased these days. I really think Kenra® and Elucence® are the absolute best for restoring the moisture balance, especially after protein overload. They are awesome lines, and the quality IMO cannot be beat. There are other good lines, but I'm a Kenra/Elucence/Joico girl. :lachen:

Finally, I know its, hard, but be patient! It can take a little while before your hair turns completely around. In the mean time, you want to keep the manipulation low and the deep conditioning regular. :yep:

Sistaslick gave some great advice. Hang in there sweetie, it's a lifelong learning process for all of us. :kiss:

girl, one answer will definitely help, or really should help:
the MIZANI H2O NIGHTTIME INTENSE TREATMENT. I'm telling, this will stop the breakage dead in it's track.
sistaslick and all of them are right as well, she's the pro.. lol.
The mizani treatment, however is like an instant fix. read supergirl's thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=93610
very, very helpful for your situation. HTH

It sounds like your biggest problem isn't too much protein... it seems like your hair is overprocessed to me :perplexed

You self relaxed and underprocessed, then tried to correct it with ORS SUPER STRENGTH for the MAXIMUM time?

That's a recipie for disaster. My opinion is that you need lots of deep conditioning, but also a shot of protein here and there. I don't think that dryness alone is your problem. Your hair has been severely weakened.
Your hair doesn't have to look pin straight to be overprocessed.

Sorry this happened to you! No matter what, I'm sure you'll get your hair back on track!

girl, one answer will definitely help, or really should help:
the MIZANI H2O NIGHTTIME INTENSE TREATMENT. I'm telling, this will stop the breakage dead in it's track.
sistaslick and all of them are right as well, she's the pro.. lol.
The mizani treatment, however is like an instant fix. read supergirl's thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=93610
very, very helpful for your situation. HTH

Ya, I was just about to say that. Mind you, I have yet to use the Mizani H20 (no real need...thank goodness), but I'm a pusher after reading that thread and those testimonies. LOL. :lachen:

I agree with the others suggested moisturizing deep conditioning. :yep: Right there where you did the initial protein treatment after realizing that you were underprocessed, you should have done some moisturizing deep conditioning. :yep: (* Now, if you had over-processed your hair, then protein would have helped you there. It would have helped restructure the hair a bit and give it some strength. But, since you are underprocessed, you are working with hair that has not had an adequate number of bonds broken to produce a smooth result. You did not need restructuring because if anything, this hair is probably healthier than the fully processed hair you have. It simply requires a bit of special care.) :yep:

Also, co-washing is great, but for you, at this time, doing them daily is probably way too much manipulation. They are good for quick moisture boosts, but they don’t give you the longterm mileage that deep conditioning w/ heat provides. Then coming out of a relaxer, you really need to give your hair a little more. Someone said it before, and it’s true-- deep conditioning regularly can forgive A LOT of hair sins. That’s why I think it is SO, SO, SO important to invest in a good deep conditioner. You can skimp on everything else, but you need to have that one conditioner that just seals the deal!

So my suggestion:
Styling: With underprocessed hair blended with fully processed hair, you definitely want to keep styling manipulation to a minimum. I’d try a hands off style like a braidout, bun, or rollerset, . . . wash and deep condition every 4 days or so, then restyle. What shampoo and conditioner combo are you currently using for moisture? Make sure that along with the moisture, the line isn't not slapping on additional proteins.:yep:

I suggest clarifying the hair to remove any buildup you may have gotten from the daily co-washes. Then begin the rigorous deep conditioning regimen. I'd do every 4 days with heat (20 mins), or whatever fits your wash schedule. Product wise, I am super biased these days. I really think Kenra® and Elucence® are the absolute best for restoring the moisture balance, especially after protein overload. They are awesome lines, and the quality IMO cannot be beat. There are other good lines, but I'm a Kenra/Elucence/Joico girl. :lachen:

Finally, I know its, hard, but be patient! It can take a little while before your hair turns completely around. In the mean time, you want to keep the manipulation low and the deep conditioning regular. :yep:

thank you sistaslick- and to everyone else on this board. I could not possiblly get through this without you all. I feel so so dumb, reading my post back to myself, in black and white , I cant believe i was so rubbish.

Trial and error.

x

Seems like the same thing that happened to me a while back, all I can say is, dont cut your hair if you really dont want to, you can just nuture it back to healthy again trust me, and then you can do a trim if you wish, but right now it really dosent matter anyway, because you still have to get the rest og the hair back to healthy I think :)

Hope things get better for you soon.

thank you sistaslick- and to everyone else on this board. I could not possiblly get through this without you all. I feel so so dumb, reading my post back to myself, in black and white , I cant believe i was so rubbish.

Trial and error.

x

Try not to beat yourself up. I think most of us could attest to going through setbacks. The most important thing to take from the experience is that you learn from it, move on. New found knowledge will make you (and your hair) stronger with any luck.

As others have said it is a continual learning experience. I'm learning something new every day.

Back