All my bunning ladies!..I have a quick question.

IMFOCSD

So I know the point of bunning as a PS is to keep the ends/ponytail moist but what about the rest of your hair? do you just wet and/or gel it evey so often?....what do you ladies do? I been interested in bunning but the hair out of the ponytail feels so dry and idk what to do about it.

thanks in advance!

Im glad you asked this because i hadn't gotten lazy and i was wet bunning every single day. I put conditioner all through my hair and focused alot on my ends my the inside of my hair that the bun was on top of started to smell like sour hair even though i was co-washing every day

I only redo the ponytail when its time to wash again( sometimes midweek or sometimes I wait til the end of the week). I take the bun out every three days to moisturize.

does anyone do anything to the top/sides/back (the hair thats not hanging out off the ponytail). what about spraying the hair without taking the bun down to prevent drying? how does this sound?

I find myself re-moisturizing my hair every night before bed, or at least every other day. I spray my hair to saturate it with my moisture spray, apply some CFC maybe, then apply oil to seal. I CW weekly, and I usually give my hair a rest from the tension of the bun every 2-3 days by just loosely wearing it in a clip/twist.

If I'm going out of the house (I don't apply gel if I'm going to just tie it up and go to bed)--To get the edges and rest of hair to lie down, I slather on moisturizing hair gel. I use a gel with a stronger hold near the edges or on top of the moist gel. Tie down with a scarf, and it dries eventually, but my hair is still soft and moisturized.

Last edited:
I moisturize daily (1x maybe 2x, just depends) even if I don't seal. I do pay special attention to the edges, nape and ends but my entire head is moisturized daily though. I bun during the day and take bun down at night. I use Bee Mine Curly Butter for a nice edges/nape hold but doesn't make it hard. :lick: I love this stuff! I wash 1x weekly. I also give my hair a break from bunning here and there by using a claw clip like Jewell mentioned.

So I know the point of bunning as a PS is to keep the ends/ponytail moist but what about the rest of your hair? do you just wet and/or gel it evey so often?....what do you ladies do? I been interested in bunning but the hair out of the ponytail feels so dry and idk what to do about it.

thanks in advance!
I first heard about protective styling when Wanakee talked about it. She always said protective styling protected the ends of the hair since they were the oldest part of one's hair. The hair should be well moisturized, but it does not have to be wet.

Last edited:
thanks ladies, I will be bunning daily and moisterizing the whole head..especially the ends daily, time to stock up on my scurl lol.

I bun for a week at a time. I moisturize the exposed areas daily with Taliah Wajiid Bodifying Mist and a little water and set at night with my scarf. My ends are moisturized and sealed with KYT leave in and Qhemets OHHB. I take the bun down on Wednesdays and remoisturize and seal and bun again until wash day (Sat or Sun).

I bun for a week at a time. I moisturize the exposed areas daily with Taliah Wajiid Bodifying Mist and a little water and set at night with my scarf. My ends are moisturized and sealed with KYT leave in and Qhemets OHHB. I take the bun down on Wednesdays and remoisturize and seal and bun again until wash day (Sat or Sun).

O wow...this is a very good idea, thanks!

Back