All Fotki owners concerned with privacy

Yep, there is a salon that had a lot of hairstyles I like (saw the styles in a magazine). I can not save the images, so I use Grab to screencap the picture and save it. If someone wants to get the picture, they can.

Girl, I wouldn't fret too much. There's always PrintScreen, if someone really wanted to make a copy of your pics even if there was a way to disable right-clicking thumbnails. So the only way to keep your photos "safe" is to make your album Private so it's not even visible to anyone but you. And then you'd also have to never post your photos anywhere. Regardless of what album site you use, PrintScreen will always be available for folks that want to steal your pics. *shrug*

I just deleted my Fotki. Yaaay!

I think I will use Google's Picasa because of all the editing and organizing properties. It'll take me some time to get it up and running again, but I figure this will be better in the long run than Fotki. Plus, their free service still allows for privacy regulation.

Love it! Againm thanks for warning us. Fotki is on my nerves....

cj

I've registered twice to the Fabulous Hair Project website and never received a confirmation email. Anybody else encounter that problem? I checked my spam folder on Google and it wasn't in there.

I think I might try Picasa and delete my Fotki as well.

BTW ladies, where there's a will there's a way. If you want a picture just hit PrtSc on your keyboard. I also have a program called Snagit and I take that picture in 1 second LOL

I've registered twice to the Fabulous Hair Project website and never received a confirmation email. Anybody else encounter that problem? I checked my spam folder on Google and it wasn't in there.

I am having the exact same problem and I have registered twice as well.

I think fotki is wanting to be more about photography these days.... they do have some fun photo contests going on, I entered my DH in the Clouds competition, that was how I learned about their new photo sharing options, one of the other photographers gave us a heads up.

If anyone goes to look, our picture is Big Sur Clouds, by GHKingfisher.

BTW ladies, where there's a will there's a way. If you want a picture just hit PrtSc on your keyboard. I also have a program called Snagit and I take that picture in 1 second LOL

I agree with BostonMaria. :yep: If someone wants your photo, they can get it, doesn't matter if it's "protected" or not. They just need to know what to do. That's why I put a camera in most of my photos as a type of watermark, and I never show my face.

One of my relatives does computer encryption-type stuff for the military, and nothing is safe from him.:lachen:

Last edited:

I think I might try Picasa and delete my Fotki as well.

I am having the exact same problem and I have registered twice as well.

PM Talata about it. I had the same problem...there was something wonky with the registration. She fixed it for me though.

True. It's become pretty close to impossible to completely protect your photos once you put them online. Best bet is to upload only photos you don't mind anyone seeing, enable any available security options and hope for the best.

Girl, I wouldn't fret too much. There's always PrintScreen, if someone really wanted to make a copy of your pics even if there was a way to disable right-clicking thumbnails. So the only way to keep your photos "safe" is to make your album Private so it's not even visible to anyone but you. And then you'd also have to never post your photos anywhere. Regardless of what album site you use, PrintScreen will always be available for folks that want to steal your pics. *shrug*

Yep, there is a salon that had a lot of hairstyles I like (saw the styles in a magazine). I can not save the images, so I use Grab to screencap the picture and save it. If someone wants to get the picture, they can.

I agree with BostonMaria. :yep: If someone wants your photo, they can get it, doesn't matter if it's "protected" or not. They just need to know what to do. That's why I put a camera in most of my photos as a type of watermark, and I never show my face.

One of my relatives does computer encryption-type stuff for the military, and nothing is safe from him.:lachen:

What do you mean you can't lock your albums?
Well this is what it says for me....

Password protection is available only for Premium Account Fotki users.
Upgrade your account and enjoy password-protected albums and a lot more fun!

Are they still able to be locked or something?

ETA.....I meant to say password protect your albums.

Last edited:

OOOOHhh!! Okay, I understand what you mean now. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

I remember back in the day when Fotki was good... :nono:

I hate the way they are cutting back on features they used to always give you for free, to try to push you to pay for them now. :nono: I just found out yesterday that the background I use for my fotki is now for premium members only. :rolleyes: So if I change it now then I won't be able to go back and use it anymore (since I'm not a premium member).

I just deleted my Fotki. Yaaay!

I think I will use Google's Picasa because of all the editing and organizing properties. It'll take me some time to get it up and running again, but I figure this will be better in the long run than Fotki. Plus, their free service still allows for privacy regulation.

Love it! Againm thanks for warning us. Fotki is on my nerves....

cj

I don't want to delete my fotki. I have been on there for awhile and have so many pictures there. Plus so many people have commented and encouraged me on there (or said my hair inspired them in their transition) that even if I didn't update it anymore I wouldn't delete it. But I do think I'll go see what google's photo site is all about.

To lock any new albums you create (or ones that are not already password protected) you have to be a premium member. I have a couple password protected albums still, but that's only because I had passwords for them before fotki decided free members shouldn't have that privilege. :ohwell:

I just deleted mine, I haven't used it in awhile anyway. I did save my pics that showed my progress.

Mine was protected but you could still save them to the computer if you had the password.

Last edited:
Newbie here so please pardon my dumb question but is there a particular reason why Fotki is the most popular photo hosting site on LHCF? I see that the majority of members seem to use that.

Newbie here so please pardon my dumb question but is there a particular reason why Fotki is the most popular photo hosting site on LHCF? I see that the majority of members seem to use that.

It was just the first site I tried. Started with free Fotki but liked it so much I went Premium. I've used it since 2003 and I absolutely love it. Used to have Yahoo as well and hated how hard it was to share photos. You seemed to have a limited way of sharing photos and the simplest way was to email an album if you didn't want random people having access to pics. Also I couldn't post them in posts like I could with Fotki.

Fotki allows me to share any pic I want and I love the option of either having them on a public realm or a private realm where their existence isn't even known to anyone, but I am still able to share them. I also love that I haven't had a limit to how many photos I can have. I have never minded paying because I am grateful for the service I get from them. Yahoo Photos decided to close shop and I was forced to move my pics to one of three sites. I picked Shutterfly randomly coz I really didn't care for that hassle at all, but I don't even go there. I can't stand Shutterfly. I guess Fotki spoiled me. I love the ease of use and the customer service has been great. There are times I haven't been able to open a photo and CS has been quick to respond to my questions. I am one of the weirdos that still thinks Fotki rocks.

I never used fotki...but I just joined www.fabhairproject.com which was started by an LHCF member. It's great if you need an alternative to share your hair progress.

Wow I just checked fab hair project out. The site looks really cool. I think I'll start off here and maybe move on to fotki if I find myself needing any advanced features they don't have.

But I think I like this site; for the comradery if not for anything else.

Yep, this is why I never show my face either.

Back