All Bigen Users...get in here! Official Bigen Information Thread

WARNING: Quite a few questions!!! Feel free to skip any...

Since Bigen seems to be a very popular product on this board, I figured we might as well get as much information as possible in one thread.

-What is your natural hair color?
-What color do you use?
ETA: hair length/natural or relaxed?
-How many packs?
-Do you apply it to wet or dry hair? If you've tried both, which yielded the best results?
-How often do you use it?
-When using Bigen for touchups, do you use it on roots, or all over?
-How long do you leave it in when processing?
-Do you use it with other chemical processes?
-Before coloring, what steps do you take, and with what products? (ex. shampoo, deep condition, protein?)
-After rinsing out the color, what other steps do you take, and with what products? (ex. shampoo, deep condition, protein)
-Do you use any other products to help enhance or maintain the color?
-How does the product measure up to other hair coloring products you've used?

What are some of the pros?
What are some of the cons?

Have you discovered any tricks to make application smoother or color turn out better?

Have you had any setbacks from use of product? Explain...

How do you clean up stains after use?

Overall, how would you rate this product? (1-10)

Thanks to everyone who participates! I will be using this soon so I will make sure to post my answers!

Last edited:
Okay last post before I go into work.....uhhhh:mad:

-What is your natural hair color? Dark brown almost black

-What color do you use? Blue black

-How many packs? One pack the first time 2 packs the last. Thinking I only need one because I was washing that stuff out for days.

-Do you apply it to wet or dry hair? If you've tried both, which yielded the best results? Only applied it to dry hair because thats what the instructions said to do. I think this is the best way to do it.

-How often do you use it? Only used it twice and I used them to close together almost a month...Yeah I know :eek: But the first time I used jet black then I found blue black and I wanted BLACK hair. Bad decision my hair was dried out no matter how many times I DC'd

-When using Bigen for touchups, do you use it on roots, or all over? If I use it again I will only use in my roots. But I might switch to beautiful collections blue black. Not permanent but less damaging

-How long do you leave it in when processing? 20-30mins

-Do you use it with other chemical processes? I am relaxed but I used this about 1 1/2 post

-Before coloring, what steps do you take, and with what products? (ex. shampoo, deep condition, protein?): I did a protein treatment on a Thursday and colored on Sat. night

-After rinsing out the color, what other steps do you take, and with what products? (ex. shampoo, deep condition, protein)I DC with keracare conditioner and EVOO. I will now use Aveda DR after if I color again

-Do you use any other products to help enhance or maintain the color?
Last week I picked up Black Malva left it in for hour and my coworkers said my hair did look darker.

-How does the product measure up to other hair coloring products you've used? Its really good I just didnt like how I couldnt get it out of my hair after a couple of washes. Plus I think it did cause a lot of the dryness and breakage that I'm suffering now. I will ride it out the rest of the summer. If I do decide to color again I am only coloring the roots and using one box this time. My fine strands couldnt stand all that dye.

What are some of the pros? Good results just what I wanted, Its permanent w/o the peroxide and ammonia. Its very easy to use and its cheap

What are some of the cons? Dryness is the only thing I can think of.

Have you discovered any tricks to make application smoother or color turn out better? Only used it twice but I think using my fingers w/ gloves on helped get to spots that I missed w/ the first application.

Like I said earlier I think the dryness and breakage I am having is caused by the over use of Bigen. I havent had problems w/ my hair before I used this product. I know I over did it when I did two applications w/ in a month apart and using two boxes the last time. THe first time I used it I didnt have any problems so I dont believe that its really damaging you just have to space it out and use it only on NG.

How do you clean up stains after use? Not too bad the color came right up when I washed the tub

Overall, how would you rate this product? (1-10) 8 depending on how well your hair will take it and what condition your hair is in before applying.

Hope that helps I rambled and sorry if I doesnt make since trying to hurry so I can make it to work
Have a good day

redRiot said:
WARNING: Quite a few questions!!! Feel free to skip any...

Since Bigen seems to be a very popular product on this board, I figured we might as well get as much information as possible in one thread.

-What is your natural hair color?light/Medium brown, way closer the brown than black
-What color do you use? Black Brown
ETA: hair length/natural or relaxed?slightly below bra strap/ texturized
-How many packs?less than 1 for retouches, 2 for all over
-Do you apply it to wet or dry hair? If you've tried both, which yielded the best results?I usually apply to dry hair but just this past weekend applied all over to wet/damp hair immediately after a retouch cause I didn't wanna wait and Cathy Howse says that's how she does it with no problems. The results were exactly the same.
-How often do you use it?I used it all over about 6 months ago. I touch up my roots only where I have gray about once a month or so. I just re-did my entire head for the 1st time this weekend.
-When using Bigen for touchups, do you use it on roots, or all over?see above
-How long do you leave it in when processing?For 30 minutes after applying
-Do you use it with other chemical processes?Just did it with a texturizer retouch
-Before coloring, what steps do you take, and with what products? (ex. shampoo, deep condition, protein?)Nothing in particular. I deep condition with heat weekly.
-After rinsing out the color, what other steps do you take, and with what products? The usual, nothing that I don't always do. Wash with CON shampoo. Use ORS replenshing pak deep conditioner.(ex. shampoo, deep condition, protein)
-Do you use any other products to help enhance or maintain the color?Nope
-How does the product measure up to other hair coloring products you've used? Great and no breakage like with every other hair color I've used.

What are some of the pros?No ammonia or peroxide, great shine, rich color, very long lasting
What are some of the cons?Can only go darker, not lighter, can be messy and stain stuff, can be drying if you don't deep condition regularly.

Have you discovered any tricks to make application smoother or color turn out better?No it's pretty simple.

Nope
How do you clean up stains after use?I don't have stains. I always wear gloves when applying and to wash it out and I lay newspaper on the sink or dresser when applying

Overall, how would you rate this product? (1-10)9

Thanks to everyone who participates! I will be using this soon so I will make sure to post my answers!

Back