ALCOHOL in my hair!

Lorraine

I just discovered that the conditioner I have been using for the past two weeks, Yoriel Honey and Almond, contains cetyl alcohol and mineral oil. Do I throw it out? :ohwell:

Didn't someone say that alcohol is not always bad for the hair? I could have sworn that I read that here.

I don't like alcohol either. I'm going to search to see what I can come up with.

It's O-TAY! :)

Cetyl alcohol is not really an "alcohol" such as ethyl or rubbing alcohol, which would dry the skin, but is an emulsifying wax made by combining fatty alcohols derived from vegetable sources.
Cetyl alcohol may be naturally derived from coconut fatty alcohol or made artificially.

It is used in many cosmetics as an emollient, thickening agent, moisturizer, emulsifier, stabilizer, opacifier as well as a carrying agent for other ingredients.

Cetyl alcohol is used as an emollient, emulsifier, thickener, and carrying agent for other ingredients. It can be derived naturally as in coconut fatty alcohol or synthetically.

NO NO NO!!!

Cetyl alcohol is a fatty alcohol, which means it's actually an emollient. (I know, weird right?)

My hair looooves Cetyl alcohol and cetearyl alcohol. They make my hair so soft without being greasy.

There's a list on Naturallycurly.com of good alcohols vs. bad ones... I'll try to find it and link it here.

By the way, I was like you... throwing away all products with "alcohol" when I didn't need to!

Thank you ladies so much! :kiss: Webby, I appreciate you looking into it. Ms_Kenesha, for some reason I imagined you putting on glasses and reading straight out of a book :bookworm:your info was so good! Bunny77, I was about to clean my closet out! LOL

Ladies, should I be concerned that it also contains mineral oil?

You know I had to do a quick google cut & paste for ya! :D

Lorraine said:
Thank you ladies so much! :kiss: Webby, I appreciate you looking into it. Ms_Kenesha, for some reason I imagined you putting on glasses and reading straight out of a book :bookworm:your info was so good! Bunny77, I was about to clean my closet out! LOL

Lorraine said:

I don't think that you should throw it out if it is working for your hair. I have a couple of products that contain mineral oil and it has not affected my hair adversely.

Lorraine said:

i dont think you should...a few of the products that i use contain minearl oil and even wax :eek: but it hasnt had any adverse effect on my hair.

ms_kenesha said:
It's O-TAY! :)

Cetyl alcohol is not really an "alcohol" such as ethyl or rubbing alcohol, which would dry the skin, but is an emulsifying wax made by combining fatty alcohols derived from vegetable sources.
Cetyl alcohol may be naturally derived from coconut fatty alcohol or made artificially.

It is used in many cosmetics as an emollient, thickening agent, moisturizer, emulsifier, stabilizer, opacifier as well as a carrying agent for other ingredients.

Cetyl alcohol is used as an emollient, emulsifier, thickener, and carrying agent for other ingredients. It can be derived naturally as in coconut fatty alcohol or synthetically.

THis is great info Ms_K
01.gif

Back