Alcohol in conditioner

brownstallion

life ain't easy!!
Ok I know I post alot about conditioner but, I really think this one is important. I was told that alcohol is bad for your hair. Well I was thinking about trying a new conditoner on my hair. I went to walmart today and almost all of the conditioners had alcohol in them. When I got home I looked to see if my motions had it and it didn't. Is alcohol bad for your hair if it's in the conditioner? I hope I'm not getting on your nerves about conditioner. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

It depends on the specific type of alcohol. Most of the alcohols you saw in those products are fatty alcohols and are actually not drying at all. They are moisturizing and emolliency ingredients.

From hairboutique.com--

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a breakdown of some of the most common alcohols found in hair products:

Denatured alcohols (not so good for dry hair):

Benzyl alcohol
Isopropyl alcohol
Ethyl alcohol
SD 40 alcohol
SD alcohol 40B

Emollient alcohols (good for dry hair; some are derived from alcohol and hence don't bear its name):
Behenyl alcohol
Ceteareth - 5
Cetearyl Alcohol
Ceteth - 2
Cetyl Alcohol
Glycerin
Laureth – 2/3
Sodium Cetyl Sulfate
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Steareth 21
Stearyl alcohol

[/ QUOTE ]

i didnt know glycerin and those sodium sulfates were alchohol! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
So it's ok for the alcohol to be in as long as its the good ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely Brownstallion, in fact, most of the "good" alcohols listed are not only ok to use, but they have some pretty well established benefits as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Sassy, you're so smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! /images/graemlins/kiss.gif But I'm not, really. I'm just always fooling around online.

Alcohol-based hair products: (e.g. hairspray)
Alcohol based styling products, such as hairspray, deliver styling product to the hair as a mixture of styling product and alcohol. The alcohol component of the mix evaporates very quickly, which means that these products will dry on the hair much faster than their water-based counterparts. Alcohol-based products typically use aerosol propellants which enable the styling product to be delivered in very small droplets, which dry faster and provide a more even, thorough coverage. Alcohol-based stylers are excellent for finishing off a style because they do not rewet the hair (which can be detrimental to the style), and because they effectively seal off the hair from the weakening effect of external moisture and humidity.
http://www.freehairstyleadvice.com/content/hairproduct.html

Back