Airdrying transitioning hair

chitowngal330

Hi ladies,

I am wondering what is the best way to airdry my hair. I am 10 months post (transitioning without BC) and have a couple of inches of natural hair and relaxed ends to just above shoulder length.

I usually do flexirod sets, but was wondering what other ways people air dry to avoid tangles. Is it possible to braid my hair in 8 sections or so and sleep that way- do you think that might lead to tangles in the morning? I just cannot imagine spending another two hours (yes, I'm slow and still learning :blush:) trying to set my hair tonight.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!

When I was transitioning, I used to wash, condition, and detangle in braids. I would rinse each braid individually and then rebraid

You can moisturize your hair while wet, and pull it up in a pony clip. Then let it airdry from there if you are going to work. If you are going to work do the same just maybe try a french braid.

After deep conditioning, blot excess water out with a t-shirt or microfiber towel. After about 20 minutes, use a detangling brush (I use Denman) and brush the hair into a ponytail. Make sure the ponytail is neat. I once was lazy with it and the middle was a tangled mess. Put a silk or satin scarf over and let it air dry.

Thanks for the responses so far. So, when you airdry in one ponytail, you don't get tangles?? I'm not sure if that would work for my hair, it tangles really easily...any other ideas?

Ponytails work great for me. My hair tangles easily and so flexirods, and curls don't even work without me having lots of knots. I detangle in the shower with a Jilbere comb. Then I go through it again with denman while the shower water is still running through it and I brush it into the ponytail. When I get out I slap some aloe vera gel on the edges. Tie a scarf around the edges for a couple hours or overnight. I don't get any tangles this way. Good luck.

I airdry in braids using coconut oil and pure shea butter on my ends. Depending on style (if I am straightening, I make sure to comb each section and plait very close to the roots, if wearing as a braidout, I just finger comb afterwards, so not as meticulous) As long as my hair is completely dry, I don't have any issues with it getting tangled. I also smooth sections as I plait or braid, if that makes and sense...

ETA: I am 7 months post with 4a-iash coarse relatively thick hair

i airdry all the time in various styles from ponytails, buns, twists & braids. Key is conditioner and a good detangling.

Back