Airdrying styling help needed!

Opal1821

After reading MizaniMami's thread to co-washers, I'm trying to co-wash 2x a week and airdry my 4a/b relaxed hair to see what it does for my hair health. I'm having a few problems with my technique, so I had a few questions for you ladies...

1.) How do you smooth your hair straight? (Products and styling tools please!)

2.) Do you wash in the morning or at night? If at night, how do you set it so that it doesn't shift during the night?

3.) Do you have any tips or tricks to make the process as simple and easy as possible?

Thanks in advance for any help!:)

I don't co-wash my hair but I do poo-wash followed by deep conditioning 2x each week.

After rinsing and detangling my conditioner under the shower (using a Jilbere shower comb), I add my leave-in(Nexxus Headress or Biolage Leave-in Hair Tonic), comb it through using a wide-tooth comb, make sections of my hair and seal each section with an oil/pomade (Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant) and/or a good serum (Aveda Brilliant Emollient). Then I make ponytails using Scunci Hair Hosiery bands (soaked or sprayed with olive oil) and roll each section smooth onto magnetic rollers. I usually airdry my hair this way overnight or if pressed for time, I use the cool setting of my ION bonnet dryer.

The results are smooth, bouncy, "straighter" hair (my hair is not relaxed straight).

2.) Do you wash in the morning or at night? If at night, how do you set it so that it doesn't shift during the night?
I wash usually in the evening so my hair can airdry overnight. I rollerset one side up and towards the back (so it's not sticking out on the side) so I can sleep comfortably on one side. My head can't turn over anyway because of the rollers! :lol: I tie a satin scarf over my rollers, securing it below the rollers, then I put a drawstring satin bonnet over all of it to help hold it in place.

3.) Do you have any tips or tricks to make the process as simple and easy as possible?
What I shared is the easiest way I've experienced so far, to airdry smooth and straight, if your hair is relaxed straight. I've tried some other techniques but the results haven't been as smooth as the rollersets.:)

hey i'm not an expert at air-drying but this is what works for me

My advice is to think about how you want your hair to be styled before you even get it wet so for example if you want a side part put a side part before you get into the shower and then while co washing leave the part in.This way you don't have to manipulate your hair too much after coming out of the shower all you need to do is use your products and probably comb the top hairs into place.Also I prefer detangling in the shower and using the force of the water to smooth out your hair and most importantly use a scarf after styling to smooth the hair down and get it flat.Oh yeah i like using grapeseed oil for air-drying because it's very light ,it sort of acts as a hair polisher or serum and leaves your hair very shiny.
i do both usually in the afternoon after i come home , again this is where the scarf comes handy if tied tight enough( not too tight) it will stay in place and you could also wear a bonnet over the scarf for extra protection.
as Isis mentioned having hair that is relaxed straight imo makes it easier but the best tips i have is to detangle in the shower,if putting hair in a ponytail make parts on dry hair before co-washing or during the process and definately use a scarf.

hth

ITA!

Rollersets/ponytail rollersets are the best way for me to air dry and have a nice style afterwards. You can do so much w/ your hair after it drys this way.

Back