Air-Drying Technique w/Great Results! Pics Included

tryn2growmyhair said:
SG, thanks for all the tips. Question, what relaxer do you use, and how often do you relax?

Also, can you please tell us what you did from begining to end? Did you use a pin to secure the knots? Did you sleep in a scarf or a bonnet? Thanks in advance for the information. Your hairs looks beautiful -- as if you had rollerset and blowdried it a la The Dominican Method.

Forgot to answer the relaxer question...

I use Vitale Regular Lye and I try to extend my relaxer out to 3 months, but when I get a lot of growth and start shedding/breakage, I go ahead and relax sooner (but no earlier than 10 weeks). I have pics in my album under products.

This is such a great idea Southerngirl.
I'll have to try this once I perfect the other bun using the banana clip, I don't know why but this one is so tricky :)

SouthernGirl said:
Thanks Tryintogrowmyhair, MsJennifer, and Bocagirl :)

Tryintogrowmyhair: Here's what I did, step by step:

1) Washed hair as normal
2) Let Air-Dry completely, just down (no ponytails or anything)
3) Once it was dry, I made a part down the center (from ear-to-ear)
4) Starting with the top, I applied 1 small drop of WGO to the hair, then twisted it into the knot you see (not paying attn to the direction I twisted)
5) I did the same with the back section of hair
6) I tied a satin scarf on it so my head was completely covered. I sleep on my side generally so they didn't get smashed
7) In the AM, I took the scarf off and just finger-combed!

I think what made it light and bouncey is that I didn't put a lot of stuff on it like I normally do. Still no breakage b/c I used the MNT stuff. Next time I'll try it with the "stuff"- scalp oils.

SG

Thanks for all the details. Your hair looks beautiful.

Aw, thanks Cinnabuns, Tryintogrowmyhair, Sherrylove, and Alli77 :kiss:

That's very nice!!!

Cinnabuns, what's tricky, the bun you're trying to do? If you're talking about the bantu knot I make, that thing takes 2 seconds. It's secured w/one open bobby pin stuck in the top.

Let me know if I can help out.
SG

Great idea SouthernGirl! Yet another of your techniques to add to my repertoire (along with the pin curls, which I wore yesterday, by the way). Your hair looks beautiful, as usual.

Thanks JerseyDyme and Mariaat :kiss:

Mariaat, that's great that you did the Pin Curls!! Did you take pix? I'd love to see them. I need to do those again sometime.

SG

SouthernGirl said:
Mariaat, that's great that you did the Pin Curls!! Did you take pix? I'd love to see them. I need to do those again sometime.

SG
I sure didn't. But I get SO many compliments when I wear my hair that way. My hair doesn't hold curl very well but these curls last all day.

I LOVE IT! Girl, Im gonna have to try this... Forgive me for not reading every response but how did you have your hair while airdrying it?

Southern Girl

What a beutiful head of hair you have!!!! Can you please tell me your regime.
Its great to see someone with the same hair type as myself reach such a great healthy length.

I am new to posting would you be my hair buddy. I have seen so many great heads of hair but you are truly INSPIRATION:)

CaramelHonee said:
I LOVE IT! Girl, Im gonna have to try this... Forgive me for not reading every response but how did you have your hair while airdrying it?

OMG, another idol :)

Thanks Caramelhonee! I just air-dried it just hanging down! No ponytails, clips, nothing in my hair. I combed it out a few times to make sure it would dry with no tangles. After it was completely dry (few hours of walking around in my house), I put a drop of WGO in my hand, rubbed them together, then ran through my hair. JUST A DROP because that stuff can weigh your hair down if you put too much, and I wanted it fluffy and bouncy. Then I just parted it and put those 2 knots in, and woke up the next morning and took them out. That's it!!

You should try. Your hair would look way better than mine came out!!

SG

kizzylonghair said:
Southern Girl

What a beutiful head of hair you have!!!! Can you please tell me your regime.
Its great to see someone with the same hair type as myself reach such a great healthy length.

I am new to posting would you be my hair buddy. I have seen so many great heads of hair but you are truly INSPIRATION:)

Aw, Kizzylonghair,

That is so very sweet!! I would gladly accept the title of "Your Buddy." :) Just feel free to ask me whatever you want. If you haven't used it yet, the PM is a great tool. If you want to know my regimen, relaxer tips, and trimming method, click on my link below and go to Journals (far left of page). It's all in there!! Let me know if you have questions :)

SG

SouthernGirl said:
OMG, another idol :)

Thanks Caramelhonee! I just air-dried it just hanging down! No ponytails, clips, nothing in my hair. I combed it out a few times to make sure it would dry with no tangles. After it was completely dry (few hours of walking around in my house), I put a drop of WGO in my hand, rubbed them together, then ran through my hair. JUST A DROP because that stuff can weigh your hair down if you put too much, and I wanted it fluffy and bouncy. Then I just parted it and put those 2 knots in, and woke up the next morning and took them out. That's it!!

You should try. Your hair would look way better than mine came out!!

SG

GIRL I WISH! U r MY hair idol... i can only HOPE it comes out as good as yours did. I'm going to try this soon... not this week b/c I'm gonna rollerset 2nite, my hair is durteeeee... LOL

Girl, i aint even gonna play myself, mine aint gonna come out halfway as nice as yours. LOL I might have to cut and paste ur pictures and post them as mine :D

CaramelHonee said:
Girl, i aint even gonna play myself, mine aint gonna come out halfway as nice as yours. LOL I might have to cut and paste ur pictures and post them as mine :D

That's so cute!! Well I'll be cutting and pasting your pix into my album too ;)

Back