Air-drying post relaxer

KDReese23

Hi Ladies,

I've finally starting learning to do my hair without heat and I've seen a remarkable difference. So excited! I have a long way to go but I am seeing some retention and my hair just feels so much better than it did when I blow-dried and flat-ironed constantly. I have thick hair but it’s only a little shorter than shoulder length right now so I’ve had really good success with wet wrapping it and letting it dry overnight. But I can only do that for about 4 weeks or so before it becomes too puffy. (The farthest I’ve been able to feasibly achieve a “stretch” is 8 weeks…which isn’t much of a stretch for most of you). I was wondering how everyone one else air-dries without using heat…at least minimizing it. Any ideas?

I just airdry & bun or airdry & bantu knots. Nothing special....

Maybe other ladies will chime in....

Bump for you...

Try Curlformers. They will give you a straightish look. A lot of naturals use them to stretch their hair. I haven't bought any out if sheer laziness yet lol.

Or if you have a hooded dryer put your leave ins, oils, moisturizers, stylers, etc in, tie scarf around your edges and dry with your hair combed straight down. I used to do that weekly.

And if your in a real hurry, you can blowdry on cool air. It won't hurt your hair because the air is legitimately cold lol. Sunshyne from Hairlista does this and her hair is amazeballs.

Lol @ amazeballs. Thanks so much for the tips ladies. I don't exactly know what Curlformers are but I've seen the word thrown around a lot on this forum. I have the Caruso set (which I love)...is it similar???

Anyway, I do have a hood dryer so I'll try just drying it that way in a few weeks. Thanks again!

Wow, your hair is beautiful too! *deep sigh*...one day, lol.

I have never heard of the banding method but I don't think I have enough hair for it right now. :ohwell: I will keep it in mind for when I finally reach optimal length. Thanks to all for the input!

Here's how I used to airdry: pics

Now, I pretty much do the same thing minus the bantu knots since I bun mostly now.

Your hair looks great. I tried Bantu knots once before and it didn't turn out too well for me. I'll watch a couple of YouTube tutorials and give it another whirl. I think I did them too tightly before. Thanks for this!

Your hair looks great. I tried Bantu knots once before and it didn't turn out too well for me. I'll watch a couple of YouTube tutorials and give it another whirl. I think I did them too tightly before. Thanks for this!

i need to watch tons of videos, my Bantu knots come out fine but when I do my bantu knots they don't look neat. and certain times I don't even twist tight enough and I think that it could come out much polished looking

i use four flexi rods and divide hair into four parts, add my products and put the flexi rods in and put on a satin bonnet or scarf. If I'm farther down to the stretch I add some eco styler gel to my edges and brush to define my edges and put scarf on, its better to do on damp or you might wake up with wet ends. when i wake up i take flexi rods out, seperate and fluff curls

I air dry 100% with a scarf. My hair will poof up starting at 3-4 weeks post.

A scarf I can tie down my hair to air dry flat on my head.

EnExitStageLeft :blowkiss:

KDReese23, Today's blog post is on banded hair. Like seriously, I'm a banding fool! Yes-sir-ree. I use to struggle with airdrying: dryness, breakage, tangles, you name it. My air drying has been taken to a whole 'notha level with banding. And yes, En has gorgeous, gorgeous hair! :grin:

i need to watch tons of videos, my Bantu knots come out fine but when I do my bantu knots they don't look neat. and certain times I don't even twist tight enough and I think that it could come out much polished looking
Mine don't look nearly as neat as the ones I see on the videos either. :-/ I'm hoping they'll improve with practice. I should take a stab at it tomorrow because my hair came out horrendous this morning! lol.

i use four flexi rods and divide hair into four parts, add my products and put the flexi rods in and put on a satin bonnet or scarf. If I'm farther down to the stretch I add some eco styler gel to my edges and brush to define my edges and put scarf on, its better to do on damp or you might wake up with wet ends. when i wake up i take flexi rods out, seperate and fluff curls
Very interesting...and how does this look? Like a rollerset or something?

Back