Air drying hair

northernbelle

I noticed that many LHCF members use the air drying method. However, I have one question:

What is the texture of the hair afterwards? Is it easy to comb and manage once the hair is dried in this manner?

Thank you!

northernbelle

The trick to air drying is to smooth the hair...you can't let it dry loose for some reason this creates frizz. If you use your leave ins and then put it into a pony tail and braid the end and you should be fine. If you have a lot of new growth it will be a bit puffy though. If your hair is to short for a pony tail you can tie it down with a satin scarf.

Hey Northernbelle,

I air-dry about 95% of the time (whether wearing down or in a protective style) and I'm happy w/the results. On my Fotki site my hair had been relaxed w/in the last few weeks so it's a lot more manageable, but it still looks about the same several weeks out. I find that when I apply Surge and WGO it helps w/the manageability.

Hope this helps!!

i apply wgo and surge to my hair and let it air dry. after it dries my hair is very soft.

If you use the right products, your hair should be easy to comb. I airdry all the time. I airdry in a ponytail, or also what I call semi-loose. Lately, I have been drying semi-loose more, because I hate waking up with wet hair. When I dry semi-loose, I slick my hair back, tie a scarf over my head and let the length stay free in the back. I apply leave-in and moisturizer when wet. When hair is semi-dry, I smooth slightly more moisturizer on ends and throughout hair. The ends dry first, so they get more moisture. When I am ready for bed, I pull my hair back into bun, put scarf back and go to sleep. I like this a lot better than going straight to the ponytail. My hair never dried over night in the ponytail. The middle was always very wet. Anyway, use a good moisturizer and leave-in and your hair should be easy to comb. As for texture, my loose hair dries wavy/a little curly. I am not interested in getting it straight. If you are, I refer you to Carolyn Gray's website. I believe she has even written a book incorporating the technique. I find it to be useful. She even has pictures.
http://www.blackwomansguide.com/sys-tmpl/door/
I hope you get more answers and I HTH.

Okay so someone told me that I should co wash everyday right? and then let it air dry. But I dont own any real hair stuff right now.. I have some tea tree oil thing for my scalp and some Soft and Beautiful BOtanicals Hair grease thing and that's it.
So should I just wash and then apply those things to my hair for now and leave it? cos my hair is the type that dries frizzy right now..

I find air drying in two ponytails with rollers on the ends or in a couple of bantu knots works well for me. I put in my leave ins first of course and make sure the hair is smooth [my hair is relaxed].

When my hair dries, it is not frizzy, but is wavy. I like it that way.

[ QUOTE ]
Falon said:
The trick to air drying is to smooth the hair...you can't let it dry loose for some reason this creates frizz. If you use your leave ins and then put it into a pony tail and braid the end and you should be fine. If you have a lot of new growth it will be a bit puffy though. If your hair is to short for a pony tail you can tie it down with a satin scarf.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA! I only air dry loose the first few weeks post relaxer, after that its too poofy but I usually tie a scarf down too.

I also try not to comb my hair after its been air dried, I find my hair snaps when I try to do this. So I usually end up bumping my ends with my steam rollers which makes it easier to manipulate if I have too.

When I airdry I put my hair in a ponytail. When its done it combs very straight as if I had wrapped it with no frizz whatsoever.

Weeks 5 and afterwards I do the ponytail rollerset and dry under the dryer

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
NB, you're discussing relaxed hair, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

That'ts right. I guess I should have specified that my hair is relaxed.

northernbelle

When I air dry I let it dry loose cause it's faster. After it's completely dry I apply a couple of products and wrap and tie it for a while. It comes out smooth after I take down the wrap.

Back