after a roller set is it better to blow dry or flat iron the roots??

which do you think is healthier

• Total voters

blackberry815

separator.gif
Hey ladies! I am just sitting here with about 6 weeks worth of new growth and another 6 weeks of under processed hair. I usually roller set and wrap and do nothing else to the roots for fear of heat damage. I had a hairdresser tell me that it's better to flat iron the roots then to blow them out because of the pulling of the brush during the blow dry process. I would try silk wrapping it or saran wrapping it but I'm afraid my bounce will be gone. So anyway ladies which one is better for the hair in your opinion ? keep in mind I'm only talking about the new growth.. and mainly after a roller set.

i dont think you will lose your bounce if you silk wrap it...but i would probably flatiron the roots because you know you can get it smooth in 1 or 2 passes and move on, where as blowing it out you need the brush and you have to pull on it and keep the heat concentrated longer

I'm actually sitting here right now with a roller set getting ready to straighten my hair. I roller set so I can skip the blow drying part. Blow drying seems to suck the moisture right out of my hair. I just thought roller setting was another way to stretch your hair while it drying without having the damage of the heat from a blow dryer.

I'm actually sitting here right now with a roller set getting ready to straighten my hair. I roller set so I can skip the blow drying part. Blow drying seems to suck the moisture right out of my hair. I just thought roller setting was another way to stretch your hair while it drying without having the damage of the heat from a blow dryer.

What type of blow dryer do you use?

I'm not exactly sure of the exact blow dryer, but its made by vidal sassoon. I haven't used it in such a long time that I barely remember what it looks like to even try to find a pic of it. :lachen:

Maybe blow drying sucks the moisture out of your hair because your blow dryer is of poor quality? :yep: I just blow dry the roots and I don't have any problem with moisture loss.

I do either or. If I want my hair more bouncy I will just flatiron or blow dry just the roots. For a straighter look, I will flatiron my whole hair.

I've rollersetted my hair a lot, and I've found that it depends. I like blow drying for the purposes of quickly hitting the hair to get rid of the roller pin marks and smooth the roots a bit. However, if I have a lot of new growth, I can never successfully straighten it with a blow dryer without feeling like I'm putting way too much heat on my hair and I'm also heating up areas other than just the new growth. My blow dryer gets very very hot- its a Rusk Speed Freak- so maybe that's part of the problem. Blow drying takes a lot more skill, so I just use a flat iron (Chi).

Saran wrapping is great for smoothing the hair, but I don't find that it helps in smoothing out my roots. HTH

I would recommend blowdrying with a concentrator attachment and a narrower natural bristle brush (the best way to avoid disturbing the midshaft and ends of the hair). If flatironing, I would use the lowest setting possible.

I personally do neither. I like the "lift" at the roots that a roller set gives me. I usually style it into a bouffant hairstyle so I need that lift.

I voted for flat iron. I'm a little biased though because I'm dealing with 18 months of new growth so the blow dry technique is just not an option for me right now. It does seem like blowdrying would be more manipulation if you're doing it with a round brush (like a Dominican blowout).

bumping to see what everyone else thinks... which is the healthiest of the two?

I prefer to blow dry the roots. I have much more bounce and body when I blow dry. I just pull the roots a little taunt and hit it quickly still leaving cascading curls. The pic in my siggy was done on 8 wks post hair.

I usually try not to use any direct heat at all... if so I will use the flat iron on a super low temp and only the roots along my part and whatever part of my edges is showing...

4evershika said:
I usually try not to use any direct heat at all... if so I will use the flat iron on a super low temp and only the roots along my part and whatever part of my edges is showing...

4evershika Does the flat iron do anything for you on such a low temp? What temp are u using?

I rollerset every weekend and I prefer to flat iron the newgrowth. I have a ghd and it gets very close to the scalp and it has a fixed temperature. I do one pass only. My issue with blowdrying with a brush and noozle (sp?) is that I feel like I always overlap and then go over a section that does not need smoothing. With my flat iron I can touch the newgrowth with my fingers and know exactly where to stop.
I like big hair and almost never flat iron the whole length. The only time I do not do anything to the newgrowth is if I'm going to wear my hair in a banana clip.

4evershika Does the flat iron do anything for you on such a low temp? What temp are u using?

blackberry815 My flat-iron has settings 1-30; I usually use it anywhere from 25-30 if flat ironing my whole head but if I'm just touching up the roots along the part and edges, I use it at about 15... I only flat iron a really thin piece of hair (Again, only what shows along the part) so it straightens it out pretty well (the following pic is of my part flat ironed this way at about 10-12 weeks post... and as you can see, I am 4b relaxed)

blogger-image-2058894642.jpg

i flat iron the roots sometimes if the new growth is crazy, but i don't do it all over. just along my part and edges. i use 325-350 degrees, some times lower than that. i kind of wear my hair in the front like Megan Goode, so i need body/volume that the roller set gives me. i bun or clip my hair up in the back.

I do my best to not hqve to use any of those; This is a matter of proper rolling arrangment and also staying long enough under the dryer. If everything goes right, I do not need to blow dry after the rollersettry to do nothing after the rollerset. If not, I will blow dry; but this is only once out of ten or more

I do my best to not hqve to use any of those; This is a matter of proper rolling arrangment and also staying long enough under the dryer. If everything goes right, I do not need to blow dry after the rollersettry to do nothing after the rollerset. If not, I will blow dry; but this is only once out of ten or more

@albane I think you are right.. I just realised I roll all of my hair upwards except for the middle the mohawk part..I usually comb that part forward towards my forehead, place the roller above the hair, and roll back. I'm thinking now that instead I should be combing that part backwards and rolling up... It might be harder to do on myself. But I'm going to give it a try on my next wash to see if I still need to flat iron the roots... Because in thinking about it, my crown area is really the part that seems to have more new growth. It could just be my roller placement.

i really like to round brush blow dry my roots... i like my rollersets flurfy though... and round brushing might be a bit difficult for a non stylist

SummerSolstice That's actually what I decided after reading a few posts I think I'm going to use the round brush to hit my roots when its unbearable...(thats if rolling up doesn't work to smooth my roots)..lol I'm so wishy washy but flat irons are hotter then blow dryers and they actually directly touch your hair. vs the blowdryer which is hot air betwen 150 and 200 degrees blowing on your hair.. It just seems a little less damaging to me at this point. Also blow drying straight seems to last longer. My roots reverted within 1 night of sleep after flat ironing the roots.

Back