After 5 Years I Still Haven't Reached My Goal? Need Some Advice...

I usually wear it in buns, 85% of the time my hair is up.
I think this maybe the reason why you are experiencing knots. Even though buns are considered a protective style, your natural hair ends are bunched up together when in a bun. Knots usually happen when your ends tangle, shrink, and wrap around each other.

Another thing with buns... if you are using a ponytail holder, it may be breaking off the sides of your hair without realizing it from the pulling back tension. So that may be hindering your length retention as well.

I think your hair may do better with stretched out natural hair styles such as twistouts and braidouts.

OP unless your hair is streched out all the time you are bound to get SSKs (I know I sound like a broken record :lol:). The key is to not let them get out of hand. When you see a knot cut it out. I went from 1"-3" to now past waistlength (in 4 years) and for the majority of the time I wore my hair shrunken. My hair would have been longer if only I learned to take care of the knots sooner. Nothing besides stretched ends will make them go away

I think this maybe the reason why you are experiencing knots. Even though buns are considered a protective style, your natural hair ends are bunched up together when in a bun. Knots usually happen when your ends tangle, shrink, and wrap around each other.

Another thing with buns... if you are using a ponytail holder, it may be breaking off the sides of your hair without realizing it from the pulling back tension. So that may be hindering your length retention as well.

I think your hair may do better with stretched out natural hair styles such as twistouts and braidouts.

:/ i really don't wanna give up my bun i love wearing it. ever since i've been fully natural my hair gets all tangly when i wear it in braid outs (which used to be my favorite style as a relexed head) and its such a hassle to detangle

OP unless your hair is streched out all the time you are bound to get SSKs (I know I sound like a broken record :lol:). The key is to not let them get out of hand. When you see a knot cut it out. I went from 1"-3" to now past waistlength (in 4 years) and for the majority of the time I wore my hair shrunken. My hair would have been longer if only I learned to take care of the knots sooner. Nothing besides stretched ends will make them go away

Your hair is beautiful btw! Lmao yeah I've pretty much figured stretched styles are the way to go. I'm not really a fan of shrunken natural styles on me because thats when I get the worst knots and it seems like I'm sitting there for an eternity cutting them all off.

Hi gabyababy..... have you tried oil rinsing? it works wonders in getting rid of a single strand knots! I use to be plagued with single strand knots until I tried it .... there is a thread around here somewhere about it....if you haven't tried oil rinsing yet I highly recommend it because it might just solve your problems! Hope this helps and good luck!

:/ i really don't wanna give up my bun i love wearing it. ever since i've been fully natural my hair gets all tangly when i wear it in braid outs (which used to be my favorite style as a relexed head) and its such a hassle to detangle

I'm confused then... I thought you wore protective styles all the time for the past five years and haven't reached your goal... :confused:

I also see that you moisturize twice a day... this can be a problem for some hair types.

How would you do your braidouts with your natural hair? I only moisturize once which is before re-braiding or twisting at night. When I unravel my hair in the morning, I do not re-moisturize. That will cause shrinkage and tangles.

Keeping my hair stretched, moisturized (with water and QB products) and sealed with grapeseed oil daily has drastically reduced the amount of ssk's I get. When I do feel them, I cut them out.
I dc on dry hair & co-wash weekly. I use ORS Creamy Aloe once a month or so to remove build up.

Hi gabyababy..... have you tried oil rinsing? it works wonders in getting rid of a single strand knots! I use to be plagued with single strand knots until I tried it .... there is a thread around here somewhere about it....if you haven't tried oil rinsing yet I highly recommend it because it might just solve your problems! Hope this helps and good luck!

No I've never heard of that, I'm gonna look for that thread now. Thanks!

Back