After 25 years as a relaxed head...

marta9227

I've decided to transition. Last relaxer was October. I'm not planning a big chop, I think I'll do it Nina Pruitt style. Pray for me y'all I've been relaxed most of my life!

Sent from my evo 3d y'all!

Good luck :grin:. I had been relaxing for 25 years before I decided to transition to natural. Best decision I ever made :yep:.

OP I am in the same shoes as you. I have been relaxing for years and though it has been working for me I just can't stand the hassle. I mean, I stretch not only because it is better for the hair but also because I dread going to the salon.
Last time I went the stylist refused to apply vaseline or anything to my scalp.
Also, I hate the lack of volume in freshly permed hair. I have to wait 2 months post perm to finally look normal lol. I would like to transition and wear wigs in the mean time. Can't wait to be free from relaxers!

no offence to people that do relax, it is whatever works for you.

Shay72 how long have/did you transition for? Did you ultimately do a BC or did you just slowly cut? Any advice? Sorry about all the questions lol!

marta9227
I transitioned for 1 year then bc'd. When transitioning the best styles for me were buns, twistouts, and flexirod sets. Once I decided to transition I no longer used direct heat bc I wanted to see my true texture. Not suggesting that you do any of those things but they worked for me.

I've decided to transition. Last relaxer was October. I'm not planning a big chop, I think I'll do it Nina Pruitt style. Pray for me y'all I've been relaxed most of my life!

I'm in the same situation as you. My last relaxer was mid October and I have decided to transition. I refuse to Big Chop so I will be long term transitioning for AT LEAST 18 months. As of today I am 10 weeks post... Good luck to us all.

You'll be fine! I'm glad I decided to transition. Best hair decision ever. Read, read, read is my best advice. You will pick up so many great tips during your transition.

Good luck!!!

Congrats on your decision, OP. I was relaxed for decades, too. My last relaxer was May, 2009 and I plan on BCing at some point this year. Maybe!

Wishing you a happy and healthy transition!

You can do it! I had been relaxed for about the same length of time as you, 22 yrs, and just went natural after a 23 month transition. Best decision ever and I love it, my hair is the thickest and healthiest it's been since I was a child. I planned to transition longer, but I woke up on New Years day and felt compelled to end the transition- I just didn't want to go into this new year "transitioning" anymore.
Braidouts and buns got me through, along with frequent cowashes.
I wish you the best and we are here for support!

Ladies thanks for all the awesome advice and support! I'm nervous but excited. Next weekend WAS my relaxer weekend. I still plan to straighten for a length check and I'll keep y'all posted.

I transitioned after 26 years of relaxers. If I can do it so can you!! Good luck!

Sent from my fancy iPhone using LHCF

After 20 years of relaxers - I let them go. Best thing I ever did. You will have great success - due to all the good information here. I did not have this board 14 years ago. Good luck!

We're in the same boat , my last relaxer was in October and after 15 years of having a relaxer I've decided to go natural. I'm currently MBL so this will be a long transition because I refuse to BC. I don't have the head for it lol! Congratulations on making the decision and you have transitioning buddies right there with you:)

Best of luck with your transition! There are so many resources here.
I was a long term transitioner too after years of perming. You can do it!

Well you certainly are at the right place, the support and information you will find here should make this an interesting and enjoyable experience.
Good luck

Well good for you and do it at your own pace. I transitioned for 15 month, slowly trimming, and finally cut off the remaining 3" because I didn't want to wait any longer. Research and get to know your hair while transitioning, enjoy it, embrace it. Some of the products I used while transitioning and a newly natural, I still use. :grin:

Back