Afro Hair & Beauty Show in London ... UKers Whos Going?

Lady_q_tee

Hmm I work in Highbury & Islington so it wouldn't be too much of a hardship to stroll down the the Design Centre. However aren't they charging £10 entry? I could spend that on some good conditioner. :look:

I'm going...to see what it's like and what free goodies I can lay my hands on - oh the student within continues to rage...lol!

I really hope that is not that case! :nono: Where did you get your info from because I can't find much.

From the pictures they show on their site and from black hair magazines in the past, all they showed were blue pineapple weaves, strange hairstyles and products like Dark & Lovely; so I just assumed. Lol.

I have been a couple of times. Never really left with anything that was worth buying. I bought a straightner, that was crap and nothing is really that discounted. I prefer the Adornment hair expo for natural hair as this one doesn't really catered for textured hair much.

The fashion show's are ok and some of the on stage competitions are ok too, but there really isn't much to do.

Don't know about now, but when I went it was an event that boys used to hang around to check girls. Every girl that went seemed to dress to the nines and so did the boys. The last one I went to was in 2006, didn't learn anything I didn't already know and the stands were mediocre. But if you haven't got much to do on a Sunday then I say check it out go and see if you like it

i'll be going, they have a lot more now ive heard even natural hair stylist and exhibitors and products, the last time I went was in 2008....thought it wasnt that good, but the improvements are enough to entice me to go again

I think I want to go next year but I have heard similar things...that its all about weaves and relaxers....sounds to me like it is similar to the US' Bronner Bros show...with a few scattered natural hair companies amongst the hundreds of weave companies. I'm interested in hearing how this show goes.

I'm holding my breath and sooo hoping this years show goes well. The last time I went was a couple of years ago and it was a huge disappointment. I had been to the show several times in the past and it was always a good day out - samples were plentiful and the demos, fashion shows etc..were fun and informative. However on my last visit there were very few stands (this was the last time it was held at Ally Pally) and there was a lot of wigs (and not very good ones) and weave, plus quite a few braiding videos on sale - not much else! Back in the day this event was heaving - definately the place to be on a Bank Hol Monday but the show seems to have completely lost it's way.

If any of the organisers or are on this site (or someone knows someone involved in the show) then please get them to their research and present a show that is not only value for money but educational and fun day out that reflects the multiculturalism that exists in this country. We have so much talent and diversity in the UK and this event is an ideal platform for the caterers, event organisers, bridal industry, makeup artists, fashion designers, alternative treatments, herbal remedies, in addition to the spectrum of hair styles, proceedures and processes. Many WOC in the UK are veering towards natural hair so alongside the new advances in chemical treatments I would expect to see natural hair fully catered for - twists, braids, sisterlocks, BKT etc..
I'm certainly not against wigs or weave but we need to have better quality on offer as the ones I last saw looked like PAK rejects

Looks like I'll be going after all as my mum's keen to go and she wants company. I doubt I'll learn anything new but it's something to do on a BHM.

There is no info on the exhibitors, so how can we decide whether its worth going or not? :ohwell:
I'm leaning towards not going...

This really annoying to me. You want folks to spend their money but yet you can't put up a list of companies exhibiting. :rolleyes: Poor, really poor.

Well, I'm getting ready to go now as it's going to take me a few hours to get there. It better be worth it!

Just came back from the exhibition. In the main, we sat where the stage was and watched the hair competition. I know the stylist who won the Advant Garde comp, so I was very pleased for her. It was actually quite entertaining in the end, but both me and my mum left with headaches as the MC was so loud!

The runway hair and fashion was good, the models were stunning, although one looked as if she was about to topple out of her very tiny top. I was cringing for her!

I was very disciplined, as I didn't buy much - in truth not much appealed really, but I did get a bottle of Gleau, which of course Nadege from Relaxed Hair Health blog is the creator; I'm looking forward to trying it. I'm probably very late, but ladies Gleau is available here now at blackandbrown.eu. It's scary expensive though at £15 for a teeny bottle. :( It was a bit cheaper to buy it there.

I was also very pleased to see Cathy Howse there as she was my inspiration for starting my HHJ and I told her so, and I gave her a big hug. Here are some pics of her.

Photo1753-vi.jpg

Photo1751-vi.jpg

I asked her how long she's been natural and she said 8 years. My mum was shocked and asked "is that your natural hair?" Cathy did the usual thing of turning round and parting her hair and showing her roots - just like she does on YT - she's so funny. :grin: The pics don't do her justice though, her hair looked better in person though, it looked lovely. I did think her hair was longer though, she looks to be about BSL.

Last edited:
Back