Affirm Fiberguard dried out my hair - need recovery tips!

jcdlox

Hi ladies,
I think I now know why my hair went from low maintenance, easy to keep moisturized and in good condition to dry, breakage, and high maintenance. My stylist switched from Mizani to Affirm several years back and even though I asked him to use Mizani and mentioned how dry my hair was he kept on with the Affirm. :wallbash: My new stylist does not use the Fiberguard and it was better but my previously relaxed hair is still easily dry. Any other ladies have bad results with Fiberguard? How did you recover?

Try Biolage Cera-pro Hydratherapie, and follow up with their conditioner one other time during the week.

DC on dry hair, shampoo, Cera-Pro vial (with heat, or steam), rinse cool, f/u with leave in.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have been using Affirm Firberguard Sensitive Scalp no lye since the beginning of my HHJ for almost a year. I have never had a issue with dried out hair, ever. I dc every week with a protein and moisturizing conditioner, and also use the Sustenance conditioner that is recommended for this relaxer. It has ceramides in it and is yummy, and keeps my hair soft and strong. I also make sure to chelate once a month to every 6 weeks. I've never had a problem with breakage and my hair is low maintenance.

This relaxer just may not agree with your hair. As we have seen before every product doesn't work for everybody. I personally love Fiberguard and never plan to switch unless they stop making it. Got my fingers crossed that never happens.

Try Biolage Cera-pro Hydratherapie, and follow up with their conditioner one other time during the week.

DC on dry hair, shampoo, Cera-Pro vial (with heat, or steam), rinse cool, f/u with leave in.

I haven't treid Biolage Cera-pro but their moisturizing balm didn't do much for my hair when I've tried it before. Maybe I'll try it since it has ceramides, thanks.

Is Mizani Purifying considered a chelating shampoo or just clarifying or is there a difference?

The Mizani chelating shampoo is called, Phormula-7 Neutralizing and Chelating shampoo.

I use ORS creamy Aloe shampoo to chelate.

Is Mizani Purifying considered a chelating shampoo or just clarifying or is there a difference?

Chelating shampoos remove calcium buildup left by no-lye relaxers like, affirm fiberguard (and are different from clarifying shampoos). I'm not sure what Mizani Purifying is but I use Mizani Phormula 7 Chelating and Neutralizing Shampoo, which works great with dryness due to calcium buildup. I use that and Affirm Fiberguard (also DC with Ceramide conditioner - Nexxus Humectress).

Back