advice needed about younger man/work relationships

tigereyes83

Okay ladies I need some serious advice. I work at a huge company and there was a guy who would catch my eye all the time. I'm usually bold but I never got the nerve to talk to him. Anywho this past New Years eve it snowed where I lived and instead of going out a friend of mines threw a house party. I'm at the party minding my business and guess who walks in.. Mystery guy from work. :look: So we start flirting and hanging out all night. We got along so well the next day we hung out all day. I asked him how old he was and he said does it really matter. I'm thinking whatever he has to be at least 23. Nope he is 20:ohwell: I'm 25. Then he tells me who his sister is who also works at my job:rolleyes: but I really enjoy my time with him. I don't know what to do... Help:tantrum:

If you think you can handle a work relationship on top of him being younger then go ahead. I just say be cautious. Try being friends to gauge his maturity first. If you think he can handle it then you can do it.

Can you be discreet?
Can HE be discreet?

As long as the two of you can remain discreet and professional while at work, there's no reason why it couldn't work...at least in the short term.

I wouldn't recommend it, but take it verrrrrry slowly, if you must.

He's so much younger, presumably has less to lose... less experience "handling" emotions at work...

I've seen stuff go badly.

It's all good when everyone is getting what they want and stuff is new and sweet but going through a breakup at work, bad things!!!

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with dating younger men, but I have quite a bit of experience with workplace dating (I met DH at work). Take it from me, boundaries and discretion are KEY to dating a co-worker. I don't see anything wrong with getting to know him better (as long as your company doesn't have a policy against employees dating), but before you take one more step, the two of you need to discuss how you’re going to conduct yourselves at work. As much as it may seem like splitting hairs, you can’t make assumptions about this sort of thing (especially since his sister is a co-worker as well).

My husband is 5 years younger than me and by far treats me better than men my age (or older) did.
As far as the work thing is concerned ... my first love was a work relationship, it worked out ok because we worked in different departments. We sometimes rode to work together ... but we kept our relationship discreet (besides sneaking off to private offices to kiss! :kiss: :giggle:

Don't do it!!!! I'm speaking from experience! It's not worth it! Whether it works out or not, it's too much of a hassle to keep it private, and your feeling separate!

There's this guy I was kind of feeling at my job, and if anything was to happen it would be when he finishes his work study program because I'm not doing that again!

work romances are very hard to keep up, think about if things do go wrong how will the working environment be affected, also i think age is a factor too, im 22 and i wouldnt date a 20 yr old i dated a 21 yr old last yr (when i was 21 as well) n lol at first i would have never guessed he was 21 i thought he was about 24 yrs old but as time went on o he was 21 alright

Can you be discreet?
Can HE be discreet?

As long as the two of you can remain discreet and professional while at work, there's no reason why it couldn't work...at least in the short term.

What 20 year-old male can be discreet?? His sister works there as well? Youth and inexperience is working against you in this scenario. Take it slow.

Thanks ladies we are definitely taking things extra slowwwwwwwwwwww.... Working where I work at 20 is a huge accomplishment to have the job that he has, I will just leave it at that. I was very shocked when I found out his age. He already graduated college and got picked up by my company. We talked about the whole work thing, which isn't that big of a problem we work in totally different departments. We also talked about the whole discreet thing and he feels the same way I do. Work is work and what we do outside of work is our business. Another thing to is that he only dates older women btw. His last girlfriend was older than me.

Not a good idea unless it's a really large company and you don't have any mutual coworkers. i have a friend that is now living with man 15 years younger from the same job. They met as she was leaving and he was starting his shift. THey're great together and if it ends, they don't have to see each other at work, and have no mutual coworkers

Back