Advice-Is this too much hair loss for a shower?

sharifeh

Hi!
I'm just confused at how much hair one should lose in the shower detangling.
Some of the clump is broken some is shed. I didn't look meticulously through every strand though, I just looked to get a general idea.
And people always say that they hardly see any hairs in their comb when they comb, but I always lose hair combing.
To give some context, I was rinsing out my DC and detangling in the shower. My DC stayed on for like 24 hours and I did aphogee 2 minute last night after shampooing.

Attachments

• Photo 58.jpg
    Photo 58.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 152
It doesn't look like a lot to me. I wash weekly and rarely comb, and this is what I normally get.

Hmm.. I can't give an legit answer to this but, I think it is.
I typically don't loose that much hair when I am detangling.

Is it a lot compared to what you usually use?

I'm not to sure but, I think you left the DC on for too long.
I never heard of someone leaving DC on for 24 hours.

I would think that depends on how much hair you have and how often you comb it. If your hair is short and you comb it everyday then yes that's a lot. If your hair is long like BSL and you haven't comb it in a few days, then no that's not much at all.

That's really not a lot. I know you said some were broken, so you should keep tabs on that to see if it increases. But as far as the shed hair, you're fine. Humans shed 25-150 hairs per day so don't worry.

Hi!
And people always say that they hardly see any hairs in their comb when they comb, but I always lose hair combing.

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of those people are slightly delusional:lachen:. No seriously. If you comb everyday and only see a few hairs in your comb, I can believe that. But the fact is, you'll never have zero breakage and you'll never stop shedding hair. So you're going to see hair in your comb (or on the floor or wherever) for the rest of your life. As long as it's not too much breakage and the shedding isn't causing you to have bald spots, you're fine.

It doesn't look like a lot to me. I wash weekly and rarely comb, and this is what I normally get.
ok cool
this was my first wash after about 5 days and i dont comb in between

Hmm.. I can't give an legit answer to this but, I think it is.
I typically don't loose that much hair when I am detangling.

Is it a lot compared to what you usually use?

I'm not to sure but, I think you left the DC on for too long.
I never heard of someone leaving DC on for 24 hours.

oh wow you are lucky!!
ya the overnight DC turned into a day long one
i was too lazy to jump back in the shower in the morning

I would think that depends on how much hair you have and how often you comb it. If your hair is short and you comb it everyday then yes that's a lot. If your hair is long like BSL and you haven't comb it in a few days, then no that's not much at all.

my hair is apl and i comb on wash days

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of those people are slightly delusional:lachen:.

lol that makes me feel better :lachen:

I agree with keen. I'm BSL texlaxed. I detangle/comb only once a week when I wash and i usually see even more than this.

That's really not a lot. I know you said some were broken, so you should keep tabs on that to see if it increases. But as far as the shed hair, you're fine. Humans shed 25-150 hairs per day so don't worry.

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of those people are slightly delusional:lachen:. No seriously. If you comb everyday and only see a few hairs in your comb, I can believe that. But the fact is, you'll never have zero breakage and you'll never stop shedding hair. So you're going to see hair in your comb (or on the floor or wherever) for the rest of your life. As long as it's not too much breakage and the shedding isn't causing you to have bald spots, you're fine.

LOL! I've often wondered this too, but I know that everyone's different so I stopped worrying about so much.

I can only WISH to have that much hair lost. I have hands full guuuurl!
I'm a natural MBL, type 4b...

I don't think it is a lot since you don't comb every single day. When I was relaxed, I used to shed, but I also had hair on the floor befind the bathroom door. I would sweep every couple of weeks and there would be so much hair in the dust pan.

If it seems like a lot all of a sudden, Check your diet, stress, and stay hydrated. You'll be fine! You might be going through a shedding season.

I've learned to stop sweating what's in the comb. I judge what's still on my head. Things are a lot less stressful that way.

Yes! :yep:
It's good to have someone post something like this every once in a while.

Thank you OP for sharing your picture. I actually had the same question floating around my head. I detangle with my conditioner in and I had about the same amount in my comb. I'm currently at around SL but my hair is in layers so I have various strand lengths and I just couldn't decide if I was losing alot or something else. I know we shed a certain amount of hair, but it does seem much more bothersome to see it in your comb.

This used to happen to me. So what I did was:

• Condition hair in sections
  • DC w/ heat for 30 mins, let it cool, add some more conditioner
  • Get into shower and gently detangle each section from ends to root
  • Allow water to flow onto hair as needed while detangling with a shower comb
I lose much less hair now. For some reason, the first time I detangled in shower, I did lose a lot of hair. Now I don't...??? :yep:

Last edited:
I don't think it is a lot since you don't comb every single day. When I was relaxed, I used to shed, but I also had hair on the floor befind the bathroom door. I would sweep every couple of weeks and there would be so much hair in the dust pan.

If it seems like a lot all of a sudden, Check your diet, stress, and stay hydrated. You'll be fine! You might be going through a shedding season.

ok thanks for the advice!!!!

I've learned to stop sweating what's in the comb. I judge what's still on my head. Things are a lot less stressful that way.
again! great advice lol!
I didn't think much of it before but the way some people talk of shedding on this board....

Thank you OP for sharing your picture. I actually had the same question floating around my head. I detangle with my conditioner in and I had about the same amount in my comb. I'm currently at around SL but my hair is in layers so I have various strand lengths and I just couldn't decide if I was losing alot or something else. I know we shed a certain amount of hair, but it does seem much more bothersome to see it in your comb.

ya,
that isnt even the most I've lost, I just got frustrated and decided to just ask if I'm abnormal! lol!

This used to happen to me. So what I did was:

• Condition hair in sections
  • DC w/ heat for 30 mins, let it cool, add some more conditioner
  • Get into shower and gently detangle each section from ends to root
  • Allow water to flow onto hair as needed while detangling with a shower comb
I lose much less hair now. For some reason, the first time I detangled in shower, I did lose a lot of hair. Now I don't...??? :yep:

thanks!
how many sections!!

Back