Advice for texturize hair

OnPoint

I recently got my hair texturize after wearing it in braids for 4 years. However I always wear my hair straight. This means that I have been putting heat on my hair about once a week, with the occasion touch-up. I use a real black platted ceramic iron. I am scared that the heat will lead to breakage, but I want my hair straight. The only time that I would need it in a somewhat of a natural state is when I am going to rebraid my hair. I was thinking about relaxing my hair over my already texturized hair, but I am scared of the damage that might happen from this. I am almost scared that my relaxed hair will break if I decide to rebraid it ( because this has happened to me before) so my questions are:

1. Would it be safe for me to use heat on my hair every week ( after I wash my hair) for about 8 weeks ( until I rebraid)

Or

2.Wash my hair 2 a week - leading to heat being applied 2 a week

OR

3. Should I just get a relaxer and call it a day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm tezturized...and I was flatironing once a week for several months. At first it didn't seem to be doing any damage....but I noticed each time I got a trim, she had to trim more off the ends...and then lately I noticed my hair was getting drier and drier...so I've decided to stop flatironing for a while and go back to the ponytail method followed by a wrap to get rid of the marks from the bands and sit under the dryer for about 10 - 15 minutes. I would be wary of relaxing fully....but then it depends on you hair type and how strong it is. My hair is very soft and relaxing over top would take all the 'life' out of my hair....

hi sweetcocoa :wave: nice to see you back.
I think that its ok to use heat every now and then, as long as you use a protein treatment to repair any damaged caused by the heat. hth

*Dee* said:
I think that its ok to use heat every now and then, as long as you use a protein treatment to repair any damaged caused by the heat. hth
H! Thanks!...and btw your hair is georgeous!

sweetcocoa said:
Hi, I'm tezturized...and I was flatironing once a week for several months. At first it didn't seem to be doing any damage....but I noticed each time I got a trim, she had to trim more off the ends...and then lately I noticed my hair was getting drier and drier...so I've decided to stop flatironing for a while and go back to the ponytail method followed by a wrap to get rid of the marks from the bands and sit under the dryer for about 10 - 15 minutes. I would be wary of relaxing fully....but then it depends on you hair type and how strong it is. My hair is very soft and relaxing over top would take all the 'life' out of my hair....
Hi Sweetcocoa!! :wave: I am so glad to have your back. You were missed my lady.:)

sweetcocoa said:

Thank you very much for your advice sweetcocoa. The reason why I did not have a relzxer done in the first place is that my hair is fine, and getting it relaxed will make it look really limp. The texturizer gives it more body. what is the ponytail method you are speaking of?

Thanks

*Dee* said:

Thank you very much for your advice Dee, and you have some beautiful hair. Since you are a texturized 4a- what do you do to your hair?

OnPoint said:
Thank you very much for your advice sweetcocoa. The reason why I did not have a relzxer done in the first place is that my hair is fine, and getting it relaxed will make it look really limp. The texturizer gives it more body. what is the ponytail method you are speaking of?

Thanks
Look under the topic ' A Newcomer's Guide To Starting Out '
Dontspeakdefeat has excellent directions on how to do that....

OnPoint said:
Thank you very much for your advice Dee, and you have some beautiful hair. Since you are a texturized 4a- what do you do to your hair?

my regimen can be found in my journal ;)

Ladies I am currently relaxed but want to start getting my hair texturized but I don't know how. Could someone please explain the procedure to me? Is it shortening the time that a relaxer is put on or what. Could someone please explain?
TIA, Yo

Back