Advice for "Super Dry Hair?!?!"

Nova

Advice for \"Super Dry Hair?!?!\"

My daughter has the driest hair and scalp! She moisturizes daily (once a day), yet her hair is "so dry." She also applies oil but this doesn't help either. Her hair is falling out. She relaxes approx. every 6-8 weeks.

I suggested daily conditioning wash & shampoo once weekly. Any suggestions?
confused.gif

Re: Advice for \"Super Dry Hair?!?!\"

If she doesn't use one already, she might need a leave-in conditioner. Giovanni's Direct leave-in conditioner with some aloe vera gel added to it might work for her. She also needs a good deep Moisturizing conditioning treatment weekly as well.

You might want to check the Hair tips thread for some relaxed hair and conditioning tips.

HTH!

Edited to add:

Don't forget to wear a satan/silk covering on the head be it a scarf, drawstring bonnet etc....never cotton at bedtime.

Spagirl:

Thanks for the advice. I'll pass it on to my daughter & hope she takes heed.

By the way, your hair is beautiful! If my hair could only grow to your length.
wave.gif

It may also be a good idea to supplement her diet with Omega-3 oils which can be found in Fish Oil supplements...or just add foods high in Omega oil acids, eg oily fish like salmon, mackeral, to her diet. I don't know how old your daughter is but here's a good source of children's omega oil supplements. And if she doesn't mind, perhaps she could apply a light penetrating oil (like jojoba, avocado or coconut) to her hair at night and sleep in a plastic cap. In the morning, her hair may feel less dry.

Does she wash her hair often? Perhaps you could add an extra wash in between her washes but only use conditioner instead of shampoo. I would wet the hair, apply conditioner to the hair not scalp...leave it on for a while, then rinse. That may seal in some of the moisture. (I specify "not the scalp" because I believe residue on the scalp may block pores that are so needed to remain open for sebum to pass through and reach the hair that needs it. That's also the reason I don't like applying anything to the scalp). While hair is still wet, she could apply a serum like John Frieda's Frizz-Ease and air dry. The serum will seal in the moisture. (The only thing with serums is I think they are so sealing that unless you wash them off, any moisturizer you apply afterwards may not penetrate. So either she could wash her hair more often or just do the serum thing the day before her wash day and just use oils and the plastic cap thingy on other days. In which case she'd just spray her hair with water to make it damp then apply the serum.)

I agree with Spagirl that a moisturizing treatment may help. Just make sure you make it a deep conditioning treatment. That is, apply a good conditioner* and then put a plastic cap over her head, then either have her sit under a warm dryer or wrap a warm towel over her head. Or she could just tie a scarf and sit out in the sun. As long as her hair gets warm enough for the cuticle scales to lift and allow conditioner to penetrate her hair strands where they are most needed. Rinse her hair with cool distilled water or water with a few drops of apple cider vinegar. (I usually put my solution in a basin/bucket and submerge my head in it. Then I massage my scalp to ensure all residue is removed. I kinda just let my hair hang in there while I concentrate on the massaging.) The ACV will seal her cuticle and enhance shine. Then apply one of those penetrating oils while her hair is still damp. Just remember that moisture and a sealant will keep her hair from drying. And her hair doesn't have to be greasy. It will feel soft and shine if it's moisturized. S-Curl may follow the oils after her hair dries, if you feel a need for more moisture. (When I use S-curl and the cap idea, I can go a whole week without reapplying!
wink.gif

* About conditioners, since her hair is also breaking, it might not hurt to use a reconstructor. (That's a protein conditioner with moisture in it, like GPB. The protein with strengthen her hair.) Then follow that with a moisturizing conditioner, if you like. In both cases, make it a deep conditioning treatment. Some people find LeKair Cholesterol or UBH Conditioner suffice for both strengthening and moisturizing.

You say that her hair is "falling out". Is it falling out like at the roots or is it breaking off? Because if it is falling out at the roots, then maybe you should take her to the dermatologist to make sure that she doesn't have a form of alopecia.I hope that this is NOT the case, of course, but just to make sure.....

[ QUOTE ]
My daughter has the driest hair and scalp! She moisturizes daily (once a day), yet her hair is "so dry." She also applies oil but this doesn't help either. Her hair is falling out. She relaxes approx. every 6-8 weeks.

I suggested daily conditioning wash & shampoo once weekly. Any suggestions?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What is she currently using for her daily moisturizer? What type of oil?

BTW, That was excellent advice nonie and Spagirl gave. I also second the fact that she should apply her oil to damp hair to help seal in the moisture. The oil is not the moisture-the water is. The oil helps keep the moisture from evaporating.

In addition to the good advice given here, It's important that you pin point the source of the dryness, like what's causing it, type of relaxer, a specific product, etc

Could be something simple as modifying her routine could correct the problem. But don't just treat the symptom, treat the problem.

Good Luck

Unless hair is shedding excessively so that it's thinning, it may just be normal shedding. It is normal for a healthy head to shed 50-100 hairs a day, more or less. Our hair goes through a cycle. It grows, it rests, it sheds. So at any one time, about 90% of your hair is growing and 10% is resting. After the resting period the hair is spit out of the follicle. (So shedding is a daily process.) The follicle rests for a while then starts to regenerate new hair. So if the falling hair you see is long strands with white bulbs at the end, then that shedding (unless excessive) is normal.

I don't know your daughter's hair type, but the Clairol Renewal 5X conditioner for colored/permed hair has decreased my shedding during conditioner washes. It detangles great in combination with the Clairol Renewal 5X Daily Nourishment leave-in and John Frieda relax texture correcting serum. They're cheap and effective at strengthening the hair while not making it hard like protein treatments do.

When I leave in LUST (L'Oreal Unfrizz Smoothing Treatment) before I put my bun up, my hair is happily moisturized for 2-3 days. I don't like oils either.

HTH,
Meg

[ QUOTE ]
If she doesn't use one already, she might need a leave-in conditioner. Giovanni's Direct leave-in conditioner with some aloe vera gel added to it might work for her. She also needs a good deep Moisturizing conditioning treatment weekly as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where do you get that Giovanni leave-in? Is it only available on the internet or is it at a store? PLEASE say it's at a store in Cincinnati!!
51.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Where do you get that Giovanni leave-in? Is it only available on the internet or is it at a store? PLEASE say it's at a store in Cincinnati!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The Vitamin Shoppe I go to has it, so I'm guessing one near you might have it.
smile.gif

Spagirl to the rescue again! Thanks for your advice. I "showed" my daughter not just your response, but everyone who responded to my post. She read each & everyone of them. Plus, she printed them for reference! She stated she will use some of the techniques recommended on a regular basis.

Thanks again for all your help!

Nonie:

Thanks for the wealth of information! My daughter is in her twenties. She's always had dry hair & scalp. Her hair absorbs moisture and oil something awful. She doesn't wear anything on her head at night time, which after reading these messages, states she will start tonight.

I've suggested she wash her hair more often (or apply conditioner rinses every other day).

Something you stated in your message triggered our memory. It was about taking omega-3 supplements. My oldest daughter grew her hair from shoulder length to the middle of her back. She loves fish and used to eat salmon at least 4-5 times weekly. Plus, she drank every morning, a tofu smoothy with a scoop of soy protein powder in it. In addition to this, she faithfully took vitamins on a daily basis. Since she's slacked in her regime, she's lost approx. 4". To us, daugh. #1 hair is still long, but not long enough by her standards. Daug. #1 states she's going to resume her regime. Daugh. #2 will follow.

Thanks for your help.

Hi

Make sure you use a satin cap or plastic cap to protect your hair at night. And also, I know it sounds like a lot of work, but your daughter may have to moisturize more that once per day. I have very dry hair and I have to moisturize three or four times per day, depending on weather conditions.

[ QUOTE ]
You say that her hair is "falling out". Is it falling out like at the roots or is it breaking off? Because if it is falling out at the roots, then maybe you should take her to the dermatologist to make sure that she doesn't have a form of alopecia.I hope that this is NOT the case, of course, but just to make sure.....

[/ QUOTE ]

It's breaking off. She just needs to develop a regime & stick to it. I told her to come up with her own regime and try to stick with it at least until December. Hopefully, this will yield great benefits and encourage her to continue on the path of obtaining healthy, strong hair.

Thanks for your help.

I agree that she should see a dermatologist to rule out dermatitis. Also, has she tried any pre-shampoo treatment suchas with olive oil or shea butter.
smile.gif

Thank you StylePink. According to my daughter, she'll start wearing something to protect her hair tonight. As for constant moisturizing, I've told her many times & over, she needs to moisturize more than once a day. I think this time (along with everyone's advice to my post) she'll comply.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that she should see a dermatologist to rule out dermatitis. Also, has she tried any pre-shampoo treatment suchas with olive oil or shea butter.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We never considered dermatitis. That is something to consider, seeing a dermatologist. I've suggested pre-shampoo treatments (olive oil to her. Hopefully, this will become part of her regime.

Thanks!

You're very welcome.
smile.gif

A willing spirit...that's great! Let us know how it turns out. Just remember part of hair care is product trial and error which can differ from head to head. Let her know if she needs us we're here.

Spagirl
Rose.gif

***I reposted this to show that it is important to find the cause rather than just doing things to treat the dryness.

Re: Different types of breakage? any ideas? [Re: AmilLion]
#160812 - 08/26/03 12:07 PM Edit Reply Quote

Alright success story: After reading all the responses(thank you emerald,amil,deb) I diagnosed my breakage was both over conditioning and from the two textures. I did used a reconstructor w protein and heat for 10 minutes,rinsed, and followed up with cholesterol for 5 minutes. After airdrying I massaged carrot/avocado/rosemary oil mix into my roots. This morning I woke up with strong but very soft hair. I LOVE THIS BOARD!

[ QUOTE ]
***I reposted this to show that it is important to find the cause rather than just doing things to treat the dryness.

Alright success story: After reading all the responses(thank you emerald,amil,deb) I diagnosed my breakage was both over conditioning and from the two textures. I did used a reconstructor w protein and heat for 10 minutes,rinsed, and followed up with cholesterol for 5 minutes. After airdrying I massaged carrot/avocado/rosemary oil mix into my roots. This morning I woke up with strong but very soft hair. I LOVE THIS BOARD!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mindymouse is correct you have to find out the cause of the problem before you do things to treat it.

I used to suffer from severe Dermatitis (with quarter size flakes). Now and then my dermatitis problem will flare up. When I get a flare up I gently scratch up my scalp with a comb to loosen up the flakes. Then I apply my homemade pre-shampoo treatment. I mix up Honey, Jojoba Oil, & Olive Oil in a bowl and apply it to my wet hair. I leave it on with a plastic cap for an hour then I shampoo and condition as normal. I stopped using dandruff shampoos because all they did was irritate my flaky scalp.

Maybe your daughter’s dry scalp is caused by an allergic reaction? My little brother's skin gets flaky when he uses anything with lanolin in it.

Maybe you can try a "no poo" variation for your daughter.

[ QUOTE ]
. I mix up Honey, Jojoba Oil, & Olive Oil in a bowl

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey that sounds neat, about how much of each??

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
. I mix up Honey, Jojoba Oil, & Olive Oil in a bowl

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey that sounds neat, about how much of each??

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any measurements. I just keep adding a little of each until it becomes a consistency that I like. I chose the ingredients because of their hair and skin benefits. Jojoba oil is a liquid wax that is similar to our own natural hair oils. Olive Oil is full of Vitamin E and Fatty Acids. Honey is a natural humectant that helps your hair hold in moisture.

I just mix away.. a little bit of this... a little bit of that.

Sometimes I add in a little vegetable glycerin to my recipe.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good thread "Different types of breakage? any ideas?". I hope others will post there and make that a complete resource.

Back