Advice and Tips on maintaining a sew in? Anything?

glamgal198

Sorry about the lame title ya'll. Anyway, i just got my sew in...in, and i LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! I've been researching and reading past post and i think i know how to take care of my hair UNDER the weave, but how do i take care of the weave itself? The weave is human hair, curly, and already it's getting tangled and frizzy :ohwell: Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tame my weave? Also, how long do you usually leave your weave in. Im trying to make it 3 months!!! Do you think that is way to long, have any of you done that before? Ok, last question. Do you think it's safe to get another sew in in, right after this one? Any advice and tips, or links to past threads that have some useful info would be so greatly appreciated. oh, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

glamgal198 said:
Sorry about the lame title ya'll. Anyway, i just got my sew in...in, and i LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! I've been researching and reading past post and i think i know how to take care of my hair UNDER the weave, but how do i take care of the weave itself? The weave is human hair, curly, and already it's getting tangled and frizzy :ohwell: Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tame my weave? Also, how long do you usually leave your weave in. Im trying to make it 3 months!!! Do you think that is way to long, have any of you done that before? Ok, last question. Do you think it's safe to get another sew in in, right after this one? Any advice and tips, or links to past threads that have some useful info would be so greatly appreciated. oh, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

What kind of hair did you buy? There's a mousse you can get called Wet N Wavy mousse for curly/wavy hair. It even makes the curl bounce back in synthetic hair. If you're going to wash the hair, only detangle in the shower with a wide toothed comb under the stream of the water. With conditioner in the hair. I usually only leave my weaves in for 6-8 weeks because I like to change my style up frequently. 3 months I believe is the maximum amount of time you should leave it in. It's okay to get another sew in after this as long as it's not too tight and you take care of your hair underneath. HTH...

Hi :wave:

I'm glad ur enjoying your first weave. I personally learned to do my own weave earlier this year. I keep them in for 4-5 weeks at a time. I don't want to leave them in too long because I don't want the hair to get matted underneath. I'm sure it can go longer than that without being matted but I take it out earlier just to be sure. My goal in weaving is to retain the as much length as I possibly can therefore I follow a few simple rules:
-Leave in the weave for 4-5 weeks max
-I put in 6-8 cornrows (vertically) that way the braids aren't too small
-I don't braid too tightly just enough to make the braid stay
-I'm careful when combing or brushing the weave hair to not pull on my hair underneath. I do this by holding the top of the weave with my hand while I comb or brush the weave hair
-I try to not use to too much product on the weave hair, because I think it tangles with too much product.

I'm going to get a sewn in weave for the new year. I was also wondering how to wash the scalp UNDERNEATH the weave. I wash my hair in the shower. My guess is that I'd just lift the wefts (keeping the other parts clipped /secured) and apply shampoo to the part that I'm working on??? :)

Aquamarine said:
I'm going to get a sewn in weave for the new year. I was also wondering how to wash the scalp UNDERNEATH the weave. I wash my hair in the shower. My guess is that I'd just lift the wefts (keeping the other parts clipped /secured) and apply shampoo to the part that I'm working on??? :)

I wash my weave by putting it into 6 braids (3 on each side). I secure the ends of the braids to make sure they don't unravel in the shower with elastic bands. I use 2 spray bottles for shampoo and conditioner. I dilute the shampoo with water, and do the same for the conditioner. I then spray the shampoo onto my hair and scalp by pressing the nozzle of the spray bottle against my head. I can feel the spray hitting my scalp so I know it's getting to my hair to. I then take my fingers and massage my hair and scalp by pushing my fingers underneath the weave hair. I then shampoo and condition the weave while it's still in the braids (this helps to prevent the weave from tangling).

To rinse I take down the shower head (I have one of those detachable shower heads) and put the head of the shower head close to my head so that I can feel the water hitting my scalp. I use my other free hand to massage the water into my hair to make sure it's rinsing properly.

That's about it.

HTH

For maintaining the weave, the type of hair you get determines that. If it's a curly weave, minimum coming/brushing and detangling only with your fingers will help keep the curls. Like Bmore said, mousse is the curly weave's best friend :up:.

With a straight weave, a round tipped brush is really good. From time to time lift up the tracks and give it a brushing from the base to prevent knots down there.

Trim the ends of the weave to keep them from getting that frayed look. And condition them frequently. For scalp care, I personally clean my scalp (between washes) with cotton balls soaked in witch hazel solution to relieve any itch or product build up.

Bumping...What about moisturizing the braids underneath? And growth products? I was getting a weave in 2 weeks and was going to use Surge and Kemi Oyl in the morning and MTG at night. Would the Surge and Kemi Oyl moisturize enough? I was thinking about NTM leave in to put in the braids but I was thinking that it would cause too much buildup.:perplexed

RabiaElaine said:
I wash my weave by putting it into 6 braids (3 on each side). I secure the ends of the braids to make sure they don't unravel in the shower with elastic bands. I use 2 spray bottles for shampoo and conditioner. I dilute the shampoo with water, and do the same for the conditioner. I then spray the shampoo onto my hair and scalp by pressing the nozzle of the spray bottle against my head. I can feel the spray hitting my scalp so I know it's getting to my hair to. I then take my fingers and massage my hair and scalp by pushing my fingers underneath the weave hair. I then shampoo and condition the weave while it's still in the braids (this helps to prevent the weave from tangling).

To rinse I take down the shower head (I have one of those detachable shower heads) and put the head of the shower head close to my head so that I can feel the water hitting my scalp. I use my other free hand to massage the water into my hair to make sure it's rinsing properly.

That's about it.

HTH

Wow Rabia! I don't do all that. I just wash in the shower like I would with my own hair and scrub good with my fingernails. Then I let it air dry. My scalp gets clean. I don't really use any products in my hair or the weave hair while it's in so I guess there isn't much that needs to wash out. I found that when I bought better quality curly hair, it didn't need any products. I just cowashed every 2-3 days to eliminate frizzies.

Evagray, you can get a braid spray or oil. I use the African Royal BRX spray for braids and weaves. I spray my cornrows every so often. I've been using it for years. It gets rid of itchies.

Thanks. I was just thinking the braid sprays are usually water based so they should moisturize good.

bmoreflyygirl said:
Wow Rabia! I don't do all that. I just wash in the shower like I would with my own hair and scrub good with my fingernails. Then I let it air dry. My scalp gets clean. I don't really use any products in my hair or the weave hair while it's in so I guess there isn't much that needs to wash out. I found that when I bought better quality curly hair, it didn't need any products. I just cowashed every 2-3 days to eliminate frizzies.

Evagray, you can get a braid spray or oil. I use the African Royal BRX spray for braids and weaves. I spray my cornrows every so often. I've been using it for years. It gets rid of itchies.

Wow you wash every 2-3 days, I wish I had the patience to do that. I use BRX too on my cornrows, I try to spray them everyday (but sometimes I forget or I'm lazy). I don't use much product on the weave hair itself except a leave in when I wash it. After that I try not to put anything on it. Every once in a while I put a little serum on it and that's it. I learned that weave washing method from Reneice in terms of using spray bottles to wash my hair underneath (I learned braiding up the weave from somewhere else, I don't remember). I think the spray bottles work well because you don't want to cake up shampoo or conditioner in the cornrows because that could cause matting and other problems so by diluting the shampoo it alleviates that possible problem but allows the hair to get clean and get moisture. I'm sure get along just fine with out this long process...I'm just paranoid and want to be extra careful so that I can reap all of the benefits from weaving and none of the problems that can occur.

evagray said:
Thanks. I was just thinking the braid sprays are usually water based so they should moisturize good.

That's true. You can also seal in that moisture by lightly oiling the cornrows after using the braid spray. I like BRX the best too!

RabiaElaine said:
Wow you wash every 2-3 days, I wish I had the patience to do that. I use BRX too on my cornrows, I try to spray them everyday (but sometimes I forget or I'm lazy). I don't use much product on the weave hair itself except a leave in when I wash it. After that I try not to put anything on it. Every once in a while I put a little serum on it and that's it. I learned that weave washing method from Reneice in terms of using spray bottles to wash my hair underneath (I learned braiding up the weave from somewhere else, I don't remember). I think the spray bottles work well because you don't want to cake up shampoo or conditioner in the cornrows because that could cause matting and other problems so by diluting the shampoo it alleviates that possible problem but allows the hair to get clean and get moisture. I'm sure get along just fine with out this long process...I'm just paranoid and want to be extra careful so that I can reap all of the benefits from weaving and none of the problems that can occur.

Yeah... that's why I like the curly/wavy hair better. This straight hair? Psh it's driving me crazy. This is the first straight weave I've had in over a year. I've only washed it once in the 2.5 weeks I've had it in so far. I'm going back to my curls since I'm used to washing my hair every 2-3 days.

THANK YOU LADIES!!! All your advice has been so helpful. I am going to wash my hair with diluted shampoo every 2 weeks, and co wash...with diluted conditioner, of course, once a week. I will only add braid spray and oils after i wash to prevent build up. Um...i bought some mouse, like you all suggested :) , on saturday and i must say, ME LIKES!!! Thanks again guys!

Back