ACV works!

Cayenne0622

Some months ago I was trying to do the baggy challenge and my hair started breaking really badly. I ended up seeing a thread about porous hair and how ACV helps to smooth the cuticle shut. From that moment on I started doing an ACV rinse (as a final rinse) to my hair everytime I washed it. Just on a whim yesterday I decided to do a porosity test on my hair and my hair FLOATED on top of the water and never sank!! I am so thrilled! I know this is the beginning of my hair being able to retain moisture better, gain elasticity, and stop breaking. Thanks to everyone at LHCF for being so forthcoming with tips, support, and tutorials.

Also, I saw a tip about a honey rinse on another website. I added 1 tablespoon of honey to 3 cups of warm water and poured it over my hair as a final rinse last night, did not rinse out. And my airdried hair had a totally different look and feel. Very soft, not poofy, and had bounce!

I would also like to know more about ACV rinses (how much water and vinegar) and what it is about this combination that softens hair. My 4Z hair is dry as a desert right now (nothing is helping). I am NOT happy at this very moment. :wallbash:

Update: I just did some web surfing and I read that ACV rinses soften hair by balancing the hair's pH level.

Last edited:
I have a jug of ACV in my bathroom...I'm going to try this tonight after my CW...thanks!

I have that 4z hair, too...:yep:

I do 1/4 cup acv and 3 cups of warm water. I pour it over my head, my hair instantly feels slippery and silky. I slap a plastic cap on for 5 mins and then do a final cool rinse. I picked up any brand in the grocery store.

I don't know whether it contributes to the shininess of my hair because I also henna and use coconut oil. Both of those make my hair shiny too.

I would also like to know more about ACV rinses (how much water and vinegar) and what it is about this combination that softens hair. My 4Z hair is dry as a desert right now (nothing is helping). I am NOT happy at this very moment. :wallbash:

Update: I just did some web surfing and I read that ACV rinses soften hair by balancing the hair's pH level.

The honey rinse made my hair softer than its been in months. 1 tbs honey, 3 cups warm water, blend mixture throughly, pour over hair and do not rinse out. Honey has great moisturizing properties.

Thanks for the reminder chica! It's been awhile and I'm wearing braids. They'll mess up your hair PH in a heartbeat. :yep:

:thankyou:

I admit that I am "hair stupid :nono:" so I am trying to get as much information as possible to help my desert dry head.

So do you ACV rinse after rinsing out the shampoo or after rinsing out the conditioner?

Cayenne0622: have you ever done an ACV and honey rinse at the same time? Which method have you found to get your hair softer.

Thanks ladies!

I admit that I am "hair stupid :nono:" so I am trying to get as much information as possible to help my desert dry head.

So do you ACV rinse after rinsing out the shampoo or after rinsing out the conditioner?

Cayenne0622: have you ever done an ACV and honey rinse at the same time? Which method have you found to get your hair softer.

Thanks ladies!

Sareca!! Girl, handle up on that rinse! lol When I had my twists I did a coule of ACV rinses. I believe that kept my hair from getting dried out during the twists.

Pear - I do the acv rinse after I've done everything. I shampoo, deep condition, and then do the acv rinse as a final step. Yesterday was my first day doing the honey rinse so I haven't experiented with it yet. Normally, I just add honey to my deep conditioner. I really believe the honey rinse is what made my hair super soft.

Does the AVC rinse out the moisture from the deep conditioner?
Do you think it would be as effective as a rinse after/before shampoo?

Does the AVC rinse out the moisture from the deep conditioner?
Do you think it would be as effective as a rinse after/before shampoo?

I don't know. I hope not. Anyone know the answer to this? Should I be using it before I deep condition? I just know it helped to seal my cuticle which has made me very happy!:grin:

I use it last also... I love it much better when it is the last thing I put it on my hair.... I have tried it both ways... but doing it last works much, much better for me.....

HTH

I am 4bbbb

I use it last also... I love it much better when it is the last thing I put it on my hair.... I have tried it both ways... but doing it last works much, much better for me.....

HTH

I am 4bbbb

Oh okay! That's good to hear! Guess I'll continue doing it the way I've been doing it.

i've been wearing a twist out & my hair is really dry. its also breaking.

Dang!!!!!!

been thinking my cuticle is open. I'm gonna try the acv rinse tomorrow.

thanks.

I think i'm going to try this. At my salon they usually use ACV after I get a perm. Never thought about it for a regular wash. I would think it would rob moisture from your hair given that it is so acidic. Thanks everyone!!

I learn something new everyday on LHCF. :yep:

My question is: If it is the last thing done to your hair, will you still have slip? I would hate to try to detangle again.

I'm floatin'... for the most part. I tested about 10 hairs; one sank, but before they all sank. That's progress I can live with. :woohoo2: I've done 4-5 ACV rinses so far. I'll do another 3-4 (with every wash or co-wash) until they all float.

Thanks again Cayenne! :bighug: I was starting to worry. I'm relaxing in a few weeks. My hair doesn't behave any differently when it's porous. It doesn't break or shed more, but I know porous hair will absorb more chemical. I don't want to end up with straight spots. :nono2:

Last edited:
Back