ACV Rinses Odor

soslychic

Does anyone mix anything with their acv rinse to cover the odor? I know that the smell usually goes anyway when hair dries, but does anyone use any drops of fragrance oils or anything so that they arn't walking around the house smelling like vinegar? I love the results, but the smell is bothering me.

I don't mix anything w/the acv rinse. Maybe you should try mixing it w/more water.

I didn't mix w/enough water once and used an acv rinse while in braids. I smelled like stinky feet for an entire day.

I dont put anything extra, just add lots of water to the mix. Usually the smell disappears and whatever other product i add covers the smell.

I've added orange or rose water to my acv. Usually I only do this so that my family doesn't complain about the vinegary smell in the bathroom. But there's really no need because once you rinse it out of your hair the smell dissipates.

I don't rinse it out. In fact, I believe that many people use it as a final rinse. I would prefer to rinse it out, but is their a benefit of doing it that way?

Oops, I worded my post incorrectly. You're right, I don't rinse mine out either. What I mean is that once the acv rinse is done, the smell eventually dies down. Sorry for the error.

Oh ok. Thanks for the clarification
smile.gif

Besides water, I don't mix anything else with my acv. I have NEVER had a problem with the smell. As a matter of fact, my hair never smells like acv afterwards. Besides, I do my acv rinse after I shampoo my hair and before I condition my hair. Maybe you're using too much acv.

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
Besides, I do my acv rinse after I shampoo my hair and before I condition my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.
smile.gif
I've never used it as a final rinse and left it in my hair!!
nono.gif
I think that's why you're having a problem with the smell.

[ QUOTE ]
Chipmunk said:
I don't mix anything w/the acv rinse. Maybe you should try mixing it w/more water.

I didn't mix w/enough water once and used an acv rinse while in braids. I smelled like stinky feet for an entire day.

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I thought you were supposed to rinse it out. I was wondering why my hair felt silky after pouring it on and then after rinsing it out it was no longer silky.

About half of the people that I have talked to have said that you are supposed to rinse it out and the other have said that you are supposed to leave it in. All I know is that my results are better when I leave it in becaue I have tried it both ways.

[ QUOTE ]
soslychic said:
About half of the people that I have talked to have said that you are supposed to rinse it out and the other have said that you are supposed to leave it in. All I know is that my results are better when I leave it in becaue I have tried it both ways.

[/ QUOTE ]
If this works for you, then by all means continue. However, if you're having a problem with your hair still smelling like acv, you may want to lighten up on the amount of acv you're using. Or find another product to cover up the acv smell.

You can use it either way. I usually use it to clarify before deep conditioning, but I've used it as a final rinse as well and it does smell like vinegar afterwards at times, but the smell is less noticeable once it dries. I have a sensitive nose and can still smell it a little though. Heck, that's just me though...When I'm driving, I can smell someone smoking cigarettes 2 cars ahead of me when my windows are rolled up.
smile.gif

I always use ACV Rinse as a FINAL rinse. I use very little because too much acidity can be damaging to your hair according to the Pantene website. I usually use about 1/4 cup or less to a basin of water. I use it as a final rinse for these reasons:

- closes my hair cuticle to seal in moisture and improve shine
- removes all residue from my scalp leaving it squeaky clean the way I like it. I fear conditioner residue on my scalp can clog pores and cause itching
- leaves my hair acidic which is very important for maintaining elasticity and the right pH for hair

Ever since I saw an ACV rinse recipe that included rosemary EO and lavendar EO, I have been adding a few drops of these oils to my ACV rinse water so that I end up with a herbal smell. But it wasn't the smell that I was worried about because it never bothered me; after all it really does go away by the time your hair dries, in my experience. I only added the oils because they are beneficial to the scalp and hair, and I thought the idea sounded great...plus I love the feeling I get afterwards. Rosemary EO is good for stimulation/hair growth and helps relieve dryness of hair and scalp; and lavendar EO is good for improving circulation to the scalp and helps heal any scalp irritation. So if you really can't stand the ACV smell and want to use it as your final rinse, you could always incorporate aromatherapy into it.
wink.gif

Back