ACV rinse...lighten hair???

Divine_Order

I have been doing apple cider vinegar rinses for the past month now, and my hair has been doing wonderfully!

I do, however, have a concern about this. I did one last night, and all went well. When my hair dried, I noticed I had redish highlights in my hair. Don't get me wrong...they look good:lol: but I was wondering if the rinse had anything to do with it. I typically have just dusty brown hair. And I haven't had color in my hair for 3 years (not even a rinse).

Have any of you had the same thing happen???

It may have something to do with the acidity. When I did the Lime and Coconut thing last year I got some really nice golden-like highlights. It didn't really do much for the new growth but I liked the coconut milk and an again the highlights effect that I believe was achieved by the lime. There was a product in the 80's and early 90's called Sun-In, which had citric acid in it and it was used to lighten hair with the use of a dryer or by simply being in the sun. It was the lime with simply being out in the sun during the spring and summer that caused my highlight effect. But I am still trying to figure what has happened to about the last three inches of my hair (at the ends) I don't know if they had always been like that or did the lime and coconut did it but they really don't get straight straight unless I flat iron. All the same though I have decided to transition and I am liking it. However, as far my highlights, I love them and I am considering getting a little more done to them but professionally (whenever I go lighter my hair breaks-with exception the the lime coconut thing). I am considering going to a salon that uses Aveda's products and concepts.

That makes sense then. Maybe it is the acidity. They do make for great highlights..very natural!grin: I was a pleasant suprise...but a suprise none the less. It's very visible in the sun.

czyfaith77 said:
It may have something to do with the acidity. When I did the Lime and Coconut thing last year I got some really nice golden-like highlights. It didn't really do much for the new growth but I liked the coconut milk and an again the highlights effect that I believe was achieved by the lime. There was a product in the 80's and early 90's called Sun-In, which had citric acid in it and it was used to lighten hair with the use of a dryer or by simply being in the sun. It was the lime with simply being out in the sun during the spring and summer that caused my highlight effect. But I am still trying to figure what has happened to about the last three inches of my hair (at the ends) I don't know if they had always been like that or did the lime and coconut did it but they really don't get straight straight unless I flat iron. All the same though I have decided to transition and I am liking it. However, as far my highlights, I love them and I am considering getting a little more done to them but professionally (whenever I go lighter my hair breaks-with exception the the lime coconut thing). I am considering going to a salon that uses Aveda's products and concepts.

Oooo I'm likin your golden highlights effect! What did you use and how did you use it?

Bumping this thread because I have been noticing that my hair is getting lighter and wondering if anyone else thinks ACV might be doing this to their hair.

I have always read that ACV was best for dark hair and white vinegar for blonde and thought it was because ACV didn't lighten dark hair while white might. *shrug*

I haven't noticed. But maybe I haven't been paying a lot of attention. I've done ACV rinses at the end of every wash since 2004 if I'm not mistaken.

roPuffSept12008Justoutofbraids-vi.jpg

TwistsSeptember42008-vi.jpg

If there's a reddish hue, it isn't that obvious to me--but maybe it's there. *shrug*

Maybe dilution has something to do with it? I try to use like 2-3 tbsp in 16 oz. of water and I thought that was really diluted.

Nonie :hiya: are you rinsing it with water after the rinse or leaving it in your hair?

Maybe dilution has something to do with it? I try to use like 2-3 tbsp in 16 oz. of water and I thought that was really diluted.

Nonie :hiya: are you rinsing it with water after the rinse or leaving it in your hair?

Hi Vkb247 :wave:

I don't rinse it out. It's the last thing I do to my hair. Your solution sounds fine. I put 1/4 cup in about 2 gallons of water.

Back