Acv And Severe Tangling -ingredients That Don't Work For You.

DST1913

I realized that ACV rinses and products with ACV severely tangle and mat my hair. I did an ACV rinse years ago and never tried again because my hair was so matted even after applying moisturizing products.

Fast forward to now I started using shea moisture JBCO shampoo which has ACV. My hair would be tangled but I chalked it up to me transitioning and thought tangles were a part of the deal. Today I decided to forego the JBCO shampoo and just use my shea moisture raw shea butter shampoo and OMG absolutely no tangles and half my hair isnt down the drain! If I would have figured this out months ago I know for sure I would have retained more length.

All this to ask if there is anyone else out there that cannot use ACV or am I just weird? There are so many positive articles on it. Even ones that say to use it to PREVENT tangles. Are there any ingredients you are just finding out dont work for you? I think im also realizing that coconut oil and products with it are not for me either. It makes my hair TOO soft and gummy.

Too much glycerin makes my hair gummy and tangly. Most of the growth aides I have used have glycerin. I just try to be light handed and it's less of a problem.

Too much glycerin makes my hair gummy and tangly. Most of the growth aides I have used have glycerin. I just try to be light handed and it's less of a problem.

What products were you using that had glycerin? I have heard this before but dont think I knew what specific popular products contained glycerine

I just used a spray mixer of ACV and water on my DD's matted hair and it was the best detangler I have ever used on her.

Now I wouldn't mess with it for my hair.

I used As I Am cowash and it jacked my hair up so bad, I cut it all off.
I can't use 90% of what folks on the board rave about. I will have dry, tangled, chewed up hair. I really have to stick to what works for me.

Last edited:
I use the SM JBCO poo but kept from trying it because of the acv. I mainly just scrub it on my scalp and then smooth it down my hair. I don't physically wash my hair with it.

I also cannot use the raw shea poo as it does tangle my hair. In all fairness, I cannot use opaque shampoos. Simply cannot.

I just used a spray mixer of ACV and water on my DD's matted hair and it was the best detangler I have ever used on her.

I can't use 90% of what folks on the board rave about. I will have dry, tangled, chewed up hair. I really have to stick to what works for me.

Oh man. I thought the cowash products prevent tangles. I couldn't imagine having to cut it all off because of a product. Im on a quest to find my holy grail products and stock with them. Im tired of trying me things. I also think i use things too long before i concede to the fact that it just isn't for me

I use the SM JBCO poo but kept from trying it because of the acv. I mainly just scrub it on my scalp and then smooth it down my hair. I don't physically wash my hair with it.

I also cannot use the raw shea poo as it does tangle my hair. In all fairness, I cannot use opaque shampoos. Simply cannot.

Does ACV tangle your hair too? How is the JBCO shampoo working for you? I found that it tangled even when I used it your way. One thing about the raw shea shampoo is I'm not sure if it's completely cleaning my hair. It could be that im just used to the squeaky clean feeling and that doesn't do it.

Oh man. I thought the cowash products prevent tangles. I couldn't imagine having to cut it all off because of a product. Im on a quest to find my holy grail products and stock with them. Im tired of trying me things. I also think i use things too long before i concede to the fact that it just isn't for me
After really doing some thinking, going down memory lane, and research, it came down to finding out what product system would give the moisture balance my hair needed. Even down to the ph scale. I wanted moisture. From what I learned in school, it starts off with a clean slate. I needed a shampoo that wasn't totally stripping, but that was going to cleanse my hair and scalp. I also needed a conditioner that was a compliment to the shampoo I used. This way it would balance everything out and do what it claimed. I also needed styler products that were going to enforce with the shampoo and conditioner claimed to do.
It also comes down to what I'm putting in my body. If my skin is dry, flaky, cracking, is gonna have issues with my hair as well. Plus, I'm starting to think that all of these products that are out, aren't ph balance and there are ingredients in them that just fillers.

With the exception of bananas, my hair cannot tolerate product additives derived from fruit. Apples, berries and such may appear nice on a label or ingredient list, but my hair clenches up and turns hard when I use products that contains any type of fruit.

For some reason, diluted Slippery Elm Extract tangles my hair like no other. I made some spray and was very disappointed. Any products which contain slippery elm tangle my hair after a while (for example, Bel Nouvo Coco Castor Spray, Soultanicals Knot Sauce, Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion).

Diluted aloe vera juice also tangles my hair. If it's in a creamy conditioner my hair is OK.

Straight coconut oil tangles my hair at times. It depends if my hair has too much protein and how cold it is. If it's sufficiently warm, my hair is happy and soft BUT if it's cold, my hair instantly locks up.

My hair is just confusing..

My hair too hates As i am co wash.....it makes my hair have buildup and causes it to tangle. my hair loves Alberto Vo5 and it happily cowshed and detangles my hair

With the exception of bananas, my hair cannot tolerate product additives derived from fruit. Apples, berries and such may appear nice on a label or ingredient list, but my hair clenches up and turns hard when I use products that contains any type of fruit.

This would be something that would have been hard for me to figure out. A lot of products contain fruit ingredients especially for scent purposes. I love things with strawberry or banana. I did try avocado once and it was no no bueno

For some reason, diluted Slippery Elm Extract tangles my hair like no other. I made some spray and was very disappointed. Any products which contain slippery elm tangle my hair after a while (for example, Bel Nouvo Coco Castor Spray, Soultanicals Knot Sauce, Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion).

Diluted aloe vera juice also tangles my hair. If it's in a creamy conditioner my hair is OK.

Straight coconut oil tangles my hair at times. It depends if my hair has too much protein and how cold it is. If it's sufficiently warm, my hair is happy and soft BUT if it's cold, my hair instantly locks up.

My hair is just confusing..

I just started using aloe vera juice. Yesterday was only the 2nd time. The first time i thought it tangled but i did use a lot. This time I notice no tangles but no benefits either. Not sure what it was supposed to do.

ACV rinses can be tricky. If your ratios are off your hair will tangle.

Aloe Vera juice tangles my hair also. I noticed that when Giovanni direct leave in added this ingredient in their new formula. Never tried various diluted ratios after that.

Im almost certain my ratios were off in my rinse. However I would have thought that shea moisture would have gotten the mixture correct. I just cant do it

Does ACV tangle your hair too? How is the JBCO shampoo working for you? I found that it tangled even when I used it your way. One thing about the raw shea shampoo is I'm not sure if it's completely cleaning my hair. It could be that im just used to the squeaky clean feeling and that doesn't do it.

Yes, acv alone tangles it. With the shampoo, I apply shampoo to my roots, hold my hair and just massage the scalp. Once I'm done, I smooth the suds down the hair, don't physically wash and then rinse. I basically wash my scalp and let my hair just catch the runoff. That's all it's needs.

I can't use any product that contains coconut oil (shampoo, conditioner, leave in, moisturizers, etc)...it leaves my hair a crunchy mess. Shea butter is tricky for me, I could use a shampoo that contains that ingredients but that is it since shea butter just tends to sit on my hair. The one shampoo that causes severe tangles at the root is Keracare conditioning shampoo. I thought it was due to the pH but honestly I'm not sure why or which ingredient in that shampoo causes my hair to tangle so much.

Back