Activator or Moisturizer?

queenofmean68

I'm looking for a moisturizer to keep my ends from getting brittle! I just wasted my money on Textures & Tones Cream Headress. It worked great for my neice, but jacked up my hairstyle!
angry2.gif
I noticed quite a few praises for the products made specifically for curls. For anyone that has relaxed hair----what product do you use? I'm looking for "light" product--nothing to weigh my baby fine hair down.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for a moisturizer to keep my ends from getting brittle! I just wasted my money on Textures & Tones Cream Headress. It worked great for my neice, but jacked up my hairstyle!
angry2.gif
I noticed quite a few praises for the products made specifically for curls. For anyone that has relaxed hair----what product do you use? I'm looking for "light" product--nothing to weigh my baby fine hair down.

[/ QUOTE ]

For moisture, I like Profectiv's leave in (round jar/pink cream)---it's pretty light--.

I also like pure glycerin, mixed with water. And BB's castor oil moisturizer isn't too bad either, but it's a little heavier than Profectiv; it's better on wet hair, right out of the shower.

for straight styles, i like John Freida Secret Weapon. for protective styles, i like World of Curls activator.

I have found that oils are the only thing that moisturize my hair AND do not weigh it down. Actually, water is really the ultimate moisture for the hair so after washing I will use oils as a leave in to seal in moisture. And I use it daily as a moisturizer. I use the following oils:
Hot 6 Oil
Jojoba oil
Extra virgin olive oil

I usually mix all three together or sometimes just use them seperately. I am looking to add some essential oils into my routine.

I've used and liked all of the following:

ORS Jojoba Pomade (moderately heavy, but not greasy if you use a dime sized amount)

Vitapointe

Dudley's PCA Mositure Retainer

Secret Weapon

VO5 Sheer Hairdressing (in a short fat tube) is EXCELLENT and remarkably light!

Palmer's Cocoa Butter (The concentrated cream in the tube. I was suprised at this one, the ingredients are almost identical to most moisturizers tho! And it's not greasy at all!)

I have fine/thin hair strands and tried s-curl. It caused breakage and I switched to Redken's extreme anti-snap leave in conditioner. Once a week application coupled with ORS carrot oil 2/3 times a week application has saved my hair.
Good luck on your experimentation.

[ QUOTE ]
I have fine/thin hair strands and tried s-curl. It caused breakage and I switched to Redken's extreme anti-snap leave in conditioner. Once a week application coupled with ORS carrot oil 2/3 times a week application has saved my hair.
Good luck on your experimentation.

[/ QUOTE ]

s curl can cause breakage???
confused.gif

The glycerin content in some of them can over-soften some hair types and textures - yes.

I also use John Frieda Secret Weapon and profectiv break-free. Break free is a bit heavier than secret weapon but if you just use a little bit of it, it moisturizes nicely. But if you're really going for a light but effective moisturizer, I'd say secret weapon is a little better. It smells better too
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The glycerin content in some of them can over-soften some hair types and textures - yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

ooo.gif
THAT COULD BE THE REASON MY MOMS HAIR IS FALLING OUT! She has a curl and uses this daily. Her hair is soft, maybe too soft and it falls out in her hand! Does anyone know what she could use instead? I mean she has a curl, what else could she use besides curl activator?

I think 'care free curl' is a better option. It won't leave your hair too soft. I think it's because of the protein that it contains.
look.gif

I don't care for activator anymore.
nono.gif
I like Motions Oil Moisturizer better. The activator tends to make my hair sticky.

[ QUOTE ]
I think 'care free curl' is a better option. It won't leave your hair too soft. I think it's because of the protein that it contains.
look.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That protein could get dangerous after a while couldn't it? She does use this every day.

Curl activator makes my hair come out, too. It gets way over moisturized. My hair is so soft that when you touch it, it almost dissolves and comes out in your hands. This also happens if I condition overnight.

BTW, I have very fine hair.

I like to use palmer's cocoa butter to moisturize as well. Except that I use the regular ole bottle. Soemtimes they put a tube of concentrated stuff with the bottle (Buy the big one, get the itty tube free) and I liked it even better so I wonder if its the same concentrated stuff.

Back