About to take out my braids

mly3e

The comb is stuck.
Should I use umbraid ease creme? I want to know if I should wash it first? Not apply any oil the night before? Take it out while wet? If there is a thread already can someone please bump it or post the link? Thanks for all input!

when i took mine down, i just took them down without washing. i used olive oil on it to comb out. i've heard that some of the unbraid products are really good too though.

whatever you do, PLEASE detangle well before washing it. otherwise you will probably have a tangled mess on your hands.
ohwell.gif

I agree with Adrienne. You can use Better Braids un-braid spray to help out. Also make sure you remove any and all build-up and detangle you hair before washing. Please take your time because rushing will result in a lot of lost hair.
Good Luck!

Thanks. I will get some today and spend tonight and tomorrow CAREFULLY taking them down.

What do you all think about number 6 on that website? That the hair can be relaxed the same DAY as removing braids or weaves?

[ QUOTE ]
What do you all think about number 6 on that website? That the hair can be relaxed the same DAY as removing braids or weaves?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never EVER do that:o! I need at least a couple of days to wash and deep condition and moisterize. When you take out your braids, your hair is dryer than usual, and relaxing is a drying process. Why dry out dry hair!!!? They're crazy on that one.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I myself..I NEVER perm my hair (back when I had permed hair) the same day that I took out my braids or weave...

I always gave my scalp a rest..when I take my braids out I usually scratch like crazy and If I was to perm my hair it would burn like hell.. but thats just me.

Adrienne and DSD both give really great advice. I can't stress what they said enough. You absolutely must take your time and completely detangle your hair before attempting to wash it. Otherwise, all that great new growth you achieve will be lost because the hair will mat and lock. Good luck with the braid take-down creme. I never used that, but I used an old Optimum hair creme to help with the combing out that I abandoned because it had mineral oil.

BTW, I have relaxed my hair immediately after taking out braids - more than once - and never had any problems. I'm not recommending this approach for everyone, but definitely do what you're comfortable with. Good luck with the take-down, and take your time!!!
laugh.gif

yeah i 2 relax as soon as my braids are out..but i wouldnt recommend it... i think ppl should do what works for them..in general my mother passed on ahead of hair to me that can withstand alot of things..over the yrs i myslef dont know why i have hair still becuz i have put my hair through alot i mean alot..but do what works for u...over thr yrs my problem was never growing my hair it wasmore about me experimenting all the time..so in the end everyoen has listed some pretty good tips...good luck

Back