About to get relaxed

Penspringz

I have decided that I am ready to relax my natural hair. I haven't been to a hairdresser for nearly 9 months because I've learnt to braid/weave my hair myself. But I have come to the conclusion that my hair will thrive better if it's left out (no weaves etc) and I like straight hair on me so I would like to get a relaxer, however, I need advice as to whether I should get my hair relaxed professionally or not.
If I decide to do it at home, I have cousin who will do it for me and I also have more control as to what is done on my hair. The only downer is that I'm not sure what relaxer to use but I could do strand tests with different relaxers to test which would be best for my hair.

I am pretty reluctant to go to a hairdresser because they don't do much for my self confidence.

Please advise me. x

When I did my first relaxer on natural hair, I went to a popular stylist that at the time was doing hair in her home. She used optimum low ph lye, I loved it, I had never had soft hair right after the relaxer was rinsed out b4 I went natural.

GOOD LUCK!

sassyhair said:
When I did my first relaxer on natural hair, I went to a popular stylist that at the time was doing hair in her home. She used optimum low ph lye, I loved it, I had never had soft hair right after the relaxer was rinsed out b4 I went natural.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks Sassy. Do you think I will be better off going to a professional?

If your cousin knows what she's doing, then there's probably no point in going to a stylist. I do think a stylist is more likely to relax it well. I didn't go to a salon for a year, becuse I self-relaxed. I decided to go at the begining of this month, and everything turned out okay. Just make sure you let her know exactly what you want, what steps to follow and so on. You can even bring your own combs.:look:

Back