About Detangling Natural Hair, Is it hard?

Hair type: 4B, Medium strands

Detangling my natural hair was my biggest challenge as a natural. Once I was able to establish an efficient and effective detangling method, detangling has become so much easier.

What has made my journey much easier is not washing or conditioning my hair loose (always in large twists) so my hair doesn't get too tangled. The type of comb used is also makes a difference for me. The ouidad double detangler comb is the most amazing comb and has made detanlging my hair sooooo much easier! I love it! I can detangle in larger sections and has decreased the time it takes to detangle my hair significantly! I highly recommend it.

Hello all, I'm once again adressing all the naturals on this board, I'm very glad my post got you all's attention! This is my second post for the day, I really plan on taking advantage of my board subscription :grin:.

I look forward to becoming natural hopefully in the next year or so, and am trying to get as much useful info as I possibley can. What I would really like to know is what is the general concensus on you all's feelings whan it comes to detangling your hair. Is being natural such a full blown commitment? Is detangling the hardest part of being a natural, how tramatic or not is it for you, and also what are your detangling regimens?

I would also appreciate it if you could post your hair texture and whether or not your are coarse or fine? thanx guys!

~<3

Um, 3c/4a coarse very thick. I find if I keep my moisture level up, detangling is quite easy and in the last couple of months, I've started to detangle on dry hair. I use a wide toothed comb and then follow it with a smaller toothed comb to get what tangles I may have missed. So, if you ask me, I'd say to stay on top of your moisture for easier detangling.

The hardest part for me is styling to be honest. I basically stay in 2 strand twists and it just takes a lot of time because I do smaller twists.

Detangling is my least favorite part of the hair routine. I usually have an inner sense of jubilation/accomplishment when I'm done. LOL.

For me, it takes patience. Detangling usually ranges from an hour to an hour and a half...I do notice though that the longer my hair is, the longer it takes. The times I got my hair cut shorter, the detangling session was WAY faster.

But hey, in the end you appreciate the patience you took to get it detangled. Your hair will thank you.

My hair is fine, so I find that detangling from bottom to top with lots of conditioner helps....I do it in sections so its not a bother and takes no more than 30 minutes.

Detangling for me use to be like WWF event.

Now with longer and thicker hair I have found a method that works for me and this is no longer a problem.

I am soo happy that particular issue has been resolved. It was my biggest issue, second was shrinkage I am now happy to say I have been in serious negotiations with the hair and it seems my new hair styles are keeping both parties regarding this matter happy.

:smile:

Detangling is easier for me now than when my hair was shorter. I wash in 2 sections after doing each side I put conditioner in (one with good slip) then I detangle 1 section. probably separate it into 4 or 5 pieces. I make sure to rinse the conditioner off my scalp thoroughly so I don't get build up or the itchies and then braid that side so the detangling isn't all for nothing and work on the next side.
Total shampoo and detangling time? 10 mins max.
It's a shorter time than when I was relaxed!

maybe b/c my hair is short, but detangling isnt too bad...when my wet hair is loaded w/ slippery condish...trying to detangle dry hair, or wet hair with no conditioner is a nightmare. also i use my fingers the most or denman or occasionaly wide tooth comb...please dont try to detangle with a rattail comb or fine toothed comb.

No its not hard when I take my time.

I detangle on damp hair, loaded with conditioner and olive oil, in six sections.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm 4a/b, fine strands, medium density.
I am definitely asking for trouble if I try to detangle dry hair. so then it will be hard, long, painful, combs and hair will break.

I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO spritz my hair at least to detangle it.
Usually, the detangling part happens when I wash my hair.

I keep my hair stretched and keep my water in spritz bottle not far.
So whenever I manipulate my hair, I spritz and/or moisturise it with a water based moisturizer.
Now I know I won't do that during the winter. so I'm thinking of baggying my ends and having a phony pony.

Back