AAAGH!! Can a cowlick be corrected?

pmichael52172

I can't beat this thing. At first I thought my hair was breaking off right at the crown because I kept seeing my scalp and couldn't hide the part. Then I noticed that it was leaning so I thought that I should alternate my wraps at night. The next morning, nothing.

My stylist looked at it and said. Girl your hair is fine and stronger than ever... you just have a cowlick. Sure enough I do. Even after I would wash it, I would wrap my hair the opposite way at the crown and tie it down at night and the next morning, I'd comb it out dry and the cowlick will part by itself like Moses and the Red Sea!

What can I do? My hair is stronger and healthier than ever and I'm afraid that if I keep trying to force it straight, I may start breaking it off.

Well I guess it all depends on the right hair style the length and the products to use. You can try styling your hair in ways to hide the cowlick.

Unfortunately, you cannot correct a cowlick. Cowlicks are caused by hair follicles. The follicles go in a different direction then the other ones, causing the hair to grow in a different direction. Don't fight with it, because that may cause breakage. The best way to handle a cowlick is to just work with it. You can do styles that compliment it and you can use styling products like gel, pomades, mouse & waxes can help tame it temporarily.

Thanks ladies. My stylist says it's not really noticeable in that it doesn't mess up my hairstyle. It's growing out of it's layers so that's probably why I am noticing it now.

I agree on not trying to correct it but I will at least put some heavy substance on it (thanks DI) and clip it down the other way. I dunno.

Thanks.

Back