A Transitioners Dilema!

mytia

SuperWoman!
This morning is definitely starting out to be a bad hair day for me:mad:. I have about two inches (maybe more) of new growth and today nothing is working. I wanted to wear my hair down today so I flat ironed it and it was a hot mess:nono:!!!!!!! So I conditioner washed it and tried to put it in a bun and it just didn't look right:cry3:. It's been hard finding styles that compliment the two textures and I use to like wearing my hair down but I don't any longer. Braidouts and rollersets are okay but they get old for me. I had to call my friend this morning for some encouragement because I was tempted to relax it or either pull it out:whyme:. Talking to her really helped but my hair is still getting on my nerves:confused:!!!! Anyway I guess I just needed to vent this morning, sometimes my hair can mess up my whole day if it's not right and today it did. I think I'll just get braids again so I can forget about it for a while.

It's ok, I remember feeling like that many days. The only style that I thought looked ok on me was buns/ponytails. If I did a braidout, that would go in a ponytail too. Then even the buns started looking terrible. I think it's a great idea to get braids or something so you don't have to touch your hair for a while. Good luck with the rest of your transition!

Thanks nurseN98, I think that knowing that other ladies are and have went through the same thing helps.

Hang in there mytialpn!!!!

I had my own bad hair days last week and did pull my hair out. Braids is a good idea if the transition is frustrating you. You could also try a braid or twist-out and then put that up in a french roll or wear it down... or a straw-set :) .

Today is just one day... better days are ahead!!

ThickHair said:
Have you thought about the big chop??

I just can't bring myself to do that yet, I have to have more length than what I have now before I cut my relaxed hair off. I've seen ladies that have done the big chop and they look wonderful but I like my hair long.

I would look into braids or cornrows :). I wish i had more advice but when i B.C'ed i only had 11 weeks of newgrowth and i hadnt even decided to transition until 3 weeks before that. I think you just need a break from the two textures for a little while. Good luck and remember.... you can always B.C. early ;). -- jainygirl

I wear twistouts. At your stage in my transition I wore braidouts & rollersets, then one day I discovered twists set on perm rods. I've been transitioning since 1/04. Hang in there!!

Maybe try a straw set or perm rod set or braids or cornrows. I would get a style that didn't require combing. Those styles are good for transitioners.

I know how you feel about trying to find hairstyles that look right! I have almost 7 months of new growth and sometimes feel like cutting my relaxed ends off! But I try to hang in there. I alternate each week with the following...

bun with phony pony over it
rollerset
wig

These have been working for me so far. I've tried braidouts, ponytails, and updos but they don't look right on me since I have bangs and different lengths of hair. I plan on getting cornrows in the summer after my accounting internship is over next week! :grin:

Don't stress too much about your hair! Take care! ;)

I transitioned for nine months and what helped get me through difficult hair days was wigs, spiral sets, rollersets, twist outs, braid outs and the occasional ponytail or updo. I chose wigs that were "realistic" for me, ones that closely resembled my own hair's length, color, texture and styles, because I've always been one to change my hairstyle three to five times in one week. :lol:

like others have suggested maybe you should get your hair braided up for a few weeks. That way you can keep your mind off your hair and prevent yourself from making any hasty hair decisions that you will come to regret later.

I felt like that this morning, I hadn't had time to wash my hair and I'd been wearing a rodset, but the curls weren't cute anymore so I put it in a ponytail and planned to just put rods in it and wear a curly puff, but when I woke up it didn't look right.. so I had to put it in a bun. It is hard to find a style that will work with both textures, but dont worry, you'll figure out what works for you and you'll learn how to quickly switch to another style just as good when one doesn't work out. Good luck, fellow transitioner!

I completely understand your dilemma and went through the same thing a few weeks ago when I decided to wash my hair during the middle of the week. When I got up the next morning, it was a MESS and to make things worse my hair started to tangle up.

The most important thing is that you have to find a style that will work for you. I am an attorney and I don't feel comfortable wearing braids in my office environment (I am the only black female). So my solution to transitioning has been twistouts when I wash and braiding each night for maintenance. The other solution for me is to press and/or flat iron my hair with a ceramic iron. As of the middle of this month, I will be transitioning for 10 months and I dont want to do the big chop.

Back