A Safe Way To Straighten Hair

Oh Godddd!
I so totally remember that. There was a big infomercial so many years back about this product "Rio". Is this the same product? I surely don't want to get into that trap if that's what it is. My hair doesn't wanna grow in the first place...I mean doesn't!!

What about this one?
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip1250.htm

High Priestess said:
Oh Godddd!
I so totally remember that. There was a big infomercial so many years back about this product "Rio". Is this the same product? I surely don't want to get into that trap if that's what it is. My hair doesn't wanna grow in the first place...I mean doesn't!!

What about this one?
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip1250.htm

Oh yea, Phyto is a great relaxer. It's legit.

JLove74 said:
Oh yea, Phyto is a great relaxer. It's legit.

Is it really safe though? Would you use it on your hair?
I've been trying to decide on straightening if possible without chemicals.
My hair is a nightmare when it's dry. It tangles at the ends and I'm just wondering if that could be the culprit of a lot of my current problems.

I'm glad you heard of it though.

Ummm...I was wondering...did anyone notice that there's no before picture of any of the black people except one? Just something I noticed. And there's not an after picture of the black woman on the testimonials.

Hey Honeydew,
I read that thread you sent me.
"Pretty scary!"
I had no idea that people are still marketing things that are detrimental to people. :mad:
BUT, I really appreciate you pointing this out. I've had years of problems with my hair and this is the last thing I need.

And
Thanks JLove74, :) for your reply.
I hope other people who are looking for alternatives read this first.

Wishin4BSL said:
Ummm...I was wondering...did anyone notice that there's no before picture of any of the black people except one? Just something I noticed. And there's not an after picture of the black woman on the testimonials.
Probably because they ended up with no hair!
It just pi**es me off...people who deceive people for the sake of money! :mad:

Back in the day I tried something like Bodifer, only it was called naturalaxer. You can use it on relaxed hair, which I did with NO ILL EFFECTS. My hair was soft and really shiny, felt really conditioned.

The problem was I couldn't really tell if my new growth straightened any easier...but I used it all up to control NG and it did, I would use it again if I were completely natural. The shampoo and conditioner it came with felt good in my hair, too.

Go to: www.naturalaxer.com

High Priestess said:
Thanks HoneyDew, I'll check it out.
Thank you :)
Oh, btw, is this a chemical?

I remember way back in the day, a lady on BHSGO used it for a while. She didn't seem to have any bad results.

Anything that permanently alters the structure of your hair is chemical. It might not use sodium or calcium hydroxide as the acting agent, but it still causes a chemical reaction in your hair. Calling it "chemical free" is more marketing than science.

myco said:
Anything that permanently alters the structure of your hair is chemical. It might not use sodium or calcium hydroxide as the acting agent, but it still causes a chemical reaction in your hair. Calling it "chemical free" is more marketing than science.

Very well said. Phytospecific relaxer uses this same "chemical-free" marketing ploy bulls***.

navsegda said:
Very well said. Phytospecific relaxer uses this same "chemical-free" marketing ploy bulls***.

I hate that they do that. You can read the label and see that it is not true.

HoneyDew said:
I hate that they do that. You can read the label and see that it is not true.
I'm certainly getting an education.

winterinatl said:
Back in the day I tried something like Bodifer, only it was called naturalaxer. You can use it on relaxed hair, which I did with NO ILL EFFECTS. My hair was soft and really shiny, felt really conditioned.

The problem was I couldn't really tell if my new growth straightened any easier...but I used it all up to control NG and it did, I would use it again if I were completely natural. The shampoo and conditioner it came with felt good in my hair, too.

Go to: www.naturalaxer.com
Sounds like a texturizer just like one of the members here said. Thanks.:)

myco said:
I remember way back in the day, a lady on BHSGO used it for a while. She didn't seem to have any bad results.

Yes. I agree with navasegda that you explained this very well. :)

navsegda said:
I don't know why they do this. Eventually people like you will call them on it, and people like me will surely find out sooner or later. :confused:
My husband and I discussed the dishonesty of suppliers, etc. and how dishonest they can be. I had to explain a lot last night. Unfortunately, he had to hear my annual ranting about this hair business. :look:

Ladies, Ladies! It's Ok, it's really Ok... Freshlook Bodiphier is totally safe Honey Dew. I still use it several years running. I even switched three months ago and tried the Xena Curl Free. It did so little, I could only laugh. But at least no harm was done. So, I went back to my tried and true Bodiphier. It won't make your hair stick straight, but I have never had ANY problems- no burning, itching, breakage, etc. And, no foul odor. Not much of a scent at all.

So take out those jars of Bodiphier that you have been hesitant to use and at least do a strand test. Goodness, just try a very small section somewhere way in the back... Come on suprise yourselves ladies. You won't go back to those old fashioned relaxers!:D

Ladies,

I tried this product last February on my beautiful head of natural hair. It was the worst mistake of 2006!! My hair felt fried (like it had melted), completely dried out, tangled and broke off.

This isn't to say that it wouldn't work for others. It just didn't work for me. I'm 11 months after the fact (it seems to have taken forever for this day to come) and I'm still recovering from the Bodiphier.

Use at your own risk or don't at all.

I never heard of this product along with "Copa" and the others. It's natural, I guess, but something very un-natural happened to my hair.

It sounds like that Copa relaxer I saw way way back in the day on TV. (I mean like in 98.) They made it seem like you could have straight hair and wash it and it be curly. :perplexed Dont think so boo.

I consider myself very knowledgeable on this product, BODIPHIER. I know one of the owners, Ivy, as their home base is here in Delaware.

I used this product, BODIPHIER, a few years ago and it TOOK MY HAIR OUT!

The REASON it took my hair out is b/c my stylist Bodiphied my hair, and then applied a demi-permanent hair color to my hair on the same day. You have probably seen me cry about this often as I have told this story on this board. I have been trying to get my hair back for 5 years!

I don't fault her too much, as she, like I, thought Bodiphier was a "natural relaxer". The fact that it could NOT be used on the same day with a demi-permanent color let me know right then that BODIPHIER is a RELAXER, no matter how "safe" they say it is. It may have a lower ph than other relaxers, but it IS, nevertheless, a RELAXER.

On the plus side, I used it for 6 months prior to this mishap, with good results. It WILL NOT get your hair bone straight. It WILL get your hair reasonably straight if you smoothe it well and apply heat during the process.

As for the other products on that site, I LOVED the conditioner and the blow-dry lotion. I did not like the shampoo.

I hope this helps. Too bad I didn't see this thread earlier.

High Priestess said:
I found this product and wonder what you think about it, and if anyone here has tried it with success or know anyone who has tried it.
Thanks.
Here~

http://www.freshlookhair.com/softhair.html

raeshan said:
Ladies,

I tried this product last February on my beautiful head of natural hair. It was the worst mistake of 2006!! My hair felt fried (like it had melted), completely dried out, tangled and broke off.
Thanks for having the courage to share. I'm sorry this happened to you. This tells me to leave it well enough alone.
This isn't to say that it wouldn't work for others. It just didn't work for me. I'm 11 months after the fact (it seems to have taken forever for this day to come) and I'm still recovering from the Bodiphier.

Use at your own risk or don't at all.
Thanks.
I never heard of this product along with "Copa" and the others. It's natural, I guess, but something very un-natural happened to my hair.

Glamour Girl said:
It sounds like that Copa relaxer I saw way way back in the day on TV. (I mean like in 98.) They made it seem like you could have straight hair and wash it and it be curly. :perplexed Dont think so boo.

I guess it was just another marketing ploy. :perplexed

CynamonKis said:
I consider myself very knowledgeable on this product, BODIPHIER. I know one of the owners, Ivy, as their home base is here in Delaware.
I used this product, BODIPHIER, a few years ago and it TOOK MY HAIR OUT!
:eek: Oh no! You too. That's it for me. I will look for other options.
I don't fault her too much, as she, like I, thought Bodiphier was a "natural relaxer". The fact that it could NOT be used on the same day with a demi-permanent color let me know right then that BODIPHIER is a RELAXER, no matter how "safe" they say it is. It may have a lower ph than other relaxers, but it IS, nevertheless, a RELAXER.
It is not your fault. They call this stuff "natural".
I hope this helps. Too bad I didn't see this thread earlier.
Yes. This helps quite a bit. Thanks for your input.

Glad I could help. Look at my Fokti and see what my hair was like in 2002, vs. what was left of my hair after the Bodiphier/hair color fiasco.....

High Priestess said:
I guess it was just another marketing ploy. :perplexed

Yes. This helps quite a bit. Thanks for your input.

CynamonKis said:
Glad I could help. Look at my Fokti and see what my hair was like in 2002, vs. what was left of my hair after the Bodiphier/hair color fiasco.....
Thanks for sharing your fotki.
It looks like you've come a long way with your hair. It's just beautiful.
My hair hasn't changed much in a few years or so, but I've changed my regimine alot.
I'm sorry this happened to you.
I found LHCF because of years of salon abuse here and there. I wasn't left with much.
Are you interested in seeing my pictures? :look:

Yeah where are your pics I'd love to see them!

I am so saddened by the rampant salon abuse that we are exposed to, which destroys our hair. I can't say enough how thankful I am for this forum for saving my hair!

High Priestess said:
Thanks for sharing your fotki.
It looks like you've come a long way with your hair. It's just beautiful.
My hair hasn't changed much in a few years or so, but I've changed my regimine alot.
I'm sorry this happened to you.
I found LHCF because of years of salon abuse here and there. I wasn't left with much.
Are you interested in seeing my pictures? :look:

CynamonKis said:
I am so saddened by the rampant salon abuse that we are exposed to, which destroys our hair. I can't say enough how thankful I am for this forum for saving my hair!
I can certainly relate. Can't trust anyone anymore, and I thought it was just where I live....that is until I joined LHCF.
I sent you a PM.

Back