A question for those who fear heat?

I totally understand this :yep: If something doesn't work, then it doesn't work. But having "fear" over it is something different.

How you feel about direct heat, I feel about airdrying loose. I don't like the results of it on my hair.

I agree with you about airdrying loose:yep:. It would not be fun for me. At all.

:yep:

Because most of those products/regimens/etc, don't have the potential to damage my hair. If I over-protein my hair, that's not damaging it - a few extra DC sessions, and bam! I'll be back on track. Experimenting with a different DC isn't going to damage my hair - it might leave it feeling funny, but it's temporary. Same with most products.....

Experimenting with heat though, has the potential for damage. Even if I do everything 'right' - what might be 'okay' for 80% percent of my head takes that step over the 'damage' line for the other 20%.

I'm (personally) not willing to 'find out' where that line is - because once it's found, it CAN'T be fixed - it's got to be grown out, and cut off. And even if I manage to 'fix' it so that the hair doesn't appear to be damaged anymore - it still is.

And I'm not willing to run the risk of damaging my hair for the sake of a hairstyle - it's really not that crucial. :lol:

I agree with everything you said:yep:

:lol: And see, I think that I'll still be nervous? apprehensive? suspending judgment til I make it through a press again, and don't do something wrong? every time, I think, because there will still always be that risk of damage in my mind - until I get really good, I guess.

Or, are you trying to say that if you do it right, there is no risk of damage? :look:

Hmm, back me into a corner why don't cha? :lol: J/K

Of course, there is a risk of damage no matter what you do to your hair. Overbunning, braids, combing (yes, even with a seamless comb-but this is based on hair type), airdrying...I think what I'm trying to say is that if you have prepared your hair and protected it, then styling with heat is not as detrimental as one might think, and in some instances (depending on the type of heat used) can actually help the hair. But the key is to realize what your individual strands can or cannot do. And as obsessed as most of us are on this board, I'm sure we all have a general idea of what our damage threshold or quotient is, but also add in what you've done to your hair over time. If you haven't already, check out that link (and the thread attached to it) I posted earlier in the thread...

An issue some (not all!) naturals don't like to discuss is that sometimes you cannot see any mechanical damage that may be present on the hair until it's straightened...So if there is already some unseen damage on the hair (or if the hair is just naturally weak--due to poor health, etc), then a press will push it over the edge and the hair may, for instance, take 2 DCs instead of 1 to revert.

I know for me, when I first relaxed after my 4yr natural stint, I had to dc and protein like a fiend, not just because I relaxed or used heat, but because as a natural my hair knotted on itself repeatedly and caused weak spots throughout the length. This is why I love Joico so much; it helped to reinforce and fill in those spots over time while I grow in new hair.

Did that inadvertently answer your question?:lachen:

Last edited:
You know, this is pretty interesting. And I'm glad to see that you, Artemis (and others) are responding quickly, because I get sad/bothered when something potentially VERY good comes up, but your op's gone for like 5 days. And that it's been an intelligent, pretty well-reasoned out discussion at that...

I also wish that more relaxed heads or text/tex-laxers would as well. Come out, come out, wherever you are...

Anyways: I do fear (eta: my own application of) heat. Because for me, I'd have to 1. go to the store to buy it... Well wait back up. 1. Go search around with pen and paper (or a textedit file) and take notes on the kind I should buy and what precautions to use. 2. Go to the store and buy it. 3. Allow the "games" to begin.

Or I'd have to pay someone and ask them 50 questions. "Now how many seconds did you do THAT section? 5? Okay." *takes notes*. "That one? Okay." *takes more notes*. "At what temperature? Okay." *one last scribble*. Now I gotta try to read, use this thing, and pray for reversion (not to mention feeling compelled to pay them EVEN if they burn my hair). :grin:

Also, for me, as a homemade product user, I really try NOT to put a bunch of chemicals on my hair and stuff I can't pronounce. So the -cone products are out for me.

If there was a sticky here that had length charts and heat usage charts with product recs, temp gauges (according to hair type, width, degree of curl, and thickness), and direct heat mechanism recommendation charts that guaranteed 100% snap-back, then I'd be on! But until then. I'll have to wait and see.

Anyways, all in all, I don't think it's necessarily the HEAT I fear, my body temp's 98.6 MOST of the time, I use saunas, take hot showers, live in Southern United States humidity... but it's more my application error.

Good thread though. Carry on.

ETA: I just noticed that I contradicted myself a bit.

Last edited:
for me, i guess it's the same reason i "fear" the sun.

yeah, they have these high-tech sunscreens out now, but those only HELP to protect you; they don't protect you 100% of sun damage

same w heat protectants

it's not like i avoid the sun like the plague, i still go out and enjoy a little sunshine, but i'm not one of those people who will lay out in a bikini every weekend or go to the tanning salon and say,"oh it's ok i put sunscreen on". you know?

plus, to be honest, i mostly avoid flatirons cuz i could never get that salon-quality swiiiish so I figure there's no point risking damaging my hair for a subpar flat ironed style, you know?

Last edited:
I think this is a GREAT thread and it's right on time for me. People need to do what works for them and REALLY understand the meaning of 'Not everything works for everybody'. It seems like people who have kinky/nappy (as opposed to silky:look:) 4a/b hair at some point find the need to stretch their hair to maintain the length--particularly naturals and mildly relaxed 4a/bs like myself. If banding, braidouts, twists, etc are not a style that you are interested in or don't sufficiently prevent tangles, sometimes you have to pick the best of two evils (using heat or avoiding tangles) and that answer will be different for everyone.

For those (like myself) who find that heat is a better option, honest discussions how to minimize damage is more helpful, and so, my appreciation for this thread :).

The concept of baseline is critical, and I believe that learning what your baseline is (relative to others) is key to our long hair journey.

Last edited:
I am adding an article on heat protection that I found interesting and helpful. It is has a few more tips than the regular 'use a cone' one.

It recommends looking for conditioners with particular ingredients to minimize heat damage as well.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/04/29/how-to-protect-your-hair-from-heat-damage/

Jeanelle says: I was wondering if you guys could tell me what to look for in a great heat protecting spray/serum/lotion. What are the key ingredients that protect hair from heat? (Besides the ones that promise to deliver to soft, silky protected tresses when in reality they leave you with sticky, gross hair from all of the alcohol!) The Right Brain responds:
Jeanelle, if you’re buying heat protection sprays that contain a lot of alcohol, you should change brands before you look like the woman in today’s picture! Hopefully you’ll be able to pick a better product after we explain how heat damages your hair and what kind of ingredients can help.

Blow drying is bad

Blow drying causes a “flash drying” effect that not only removes the surface moisture but also removes water that is bound to the hair, which is called water of hydration. The effect of this flash drying is that the cuticles become dried, rigid and brittle. When the hair flexes, the pressure causes the cuticles to crack. One study (see Reference 1 below) showed cracks occurring not only on the surface layer of cuticles, but actually two and three cuticle layers deep. Combing hair with this degree of cuticle cracking causes significant breakage.

Ironing is icky

Ironing hair causes two different types of damaging depending on whether the hair is ironed dry or wet. Ironing dry hair causes radial and axial cracking along the edges of the cuticles, which can lead to chipping. Ironing wet hair causes the moisture to burst out in little steam explosions. This causes a bubbling and buckling of the cuticle that appears as tiny hair blisters under magnification.

Helpful heat treatments

Blow dry damage can be prevented by using products containing glycerin and propylene glycol because these actives retard water evaporation. Products like Tresemme Heat Tamer Spray
ir
should be helpful in this regard. You can also look for an ingredient called “hydrolyzed wheat protein polysiloxane copolymer,” which also showed significant reduction in cracking. Interestingly, while we would expect various silicones to have a similar effect, this study showed that silicones alone did NOT reduce cuticle cracking.

Iron damage can be reduced by using conditioners formulated with low molecular weight conditioners that can penetrate into the hair like cetrimonium chloride. Another study (see Reference 2) showed that exposing hair to heat in the presence of such a conditioning agent actually caused an increase in tensile strength (the force required to break a hair). This is because the heat reacts with the conditioning agents and cross links some of the protein chains inside the hair. Look for products like Sunsilk Heat Defense Cream
ir
if you want this effect.

Last edited:
I also wish that more relaxed heads or text/tex-laxers would as well. Come out, come out, wherever you are...

Texlax/relaxed here and I've posted a coupla times already. Haven't used any form of heat for years although I've continued to relaxed my hair and, as Supergirl said earlier, it is the longest, strongest and healthiest EVA . . .

Also, someone asked about "styling" airdried hair. Well, I wash once a week and for me, achieving a particular "style" is not important nor do I care about "straight" styles or looks. I also don't care for braidouts, kinkytwists, and other popular airdry styles. Just too lazy to do all that, I guess. I must admit, it has gotten easier the longer and healthier my hair has become and IMHO, long healthy hair is a "style" all its own and requires little effort to "look good" . . . Soooo, my "styles" such as they are include:

--just let it hang out, finger comb straight back and leave hanging loose
--buns, buns, buns decorated with fancy chopsticks and other "hairtoys"
--single large braid hanging down the back
--single large braid pin up and decorated with fancy chopsticks, hairtoys, etc.
--ponytail

Bedtime:
--very loose bun and scarf/bonnet
--large braid and scarf/bonnet
--couple of large magnetic rollers on top of head (mohawk) and scarf/bonnet

Last edited:
I am adding an article on heat protection that I found interesting and helpful. It is has a few more tips than the regular 'use a cone' one.

It recommends looking for conditioners with particular ingredients to minimize heat damage as well.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/04/29/how-to-protect-your-hair-from-heat-damage/

Jeanelle says: I was wondering if you guys could tell me what to look for in a great heat protecting spray/serum/lotion. What are the key ingredients that protect hair from heat? (Besides the ones that promise to deliver to soft, silky protected tresses when in reality they leave you with sticky, gross hair from all of the alcohol!) The Right Brain responds:
Jeanelle, if you’re buying heat protection sprays that contain a lot of alcohol, you should change brands before you look like the woman in today’s picture! Hopefully you’ll be able to pick a better product after we explain how heat damages your hair and what kind of ingredients can help.

Blow drying is bad

Blow drying causes a “flash drying” effect that not only removes the surface moisture but also removes water that is bound to the hair, which is called water of hydration. The effect of this flash drying is that the cuticles become dried, rigid and brittle. When the hair flexes, the pressure causes the cuticles to crack. One study (see Reference 1 below) showed cracks occurring not only on the surface layer of cuticles, but actually two and three cuticle layers deep. Combing hair with this degree of cuticle cracking causes significant breakage.

Ironing is icky

Ironing hair causes two different types of damaging depending on whether the hair is ironed dry or wet. Ironing dry hair causes radial and axial cracking along the edges of the cuticles, which can lead to chipping. Ironing wet hair causes the moisture to burst out in little steam explosions. This causes a bubbling and buckling of the cuticle that appears as tiny hair blisters under magnification.

Helpful heat treatments

Blow dry damage can be prevented by using products containing glycerin and propylene glycol because these actives retard water evaporation. Products like Tresemme Heat Tamer Spray
ir
should be helpful in this regard. You can also look for an ingredient called “hydrolyzed wheat protein polysiloxane copolymer,” which also showed significant reduction in cracking. Interestingly, while we would expect various silicones to have a similar effect, this study showed that silicones alone did NOT reduce cuticle cracking.

Iron damage can be reduced by using conditioners formulated with low molecular weight conditioners that can penetrate into the hair like cetrimonium chloride. Another study (see Reference 2) showed that exposing hair to heat in the presence of such a conditioning agent actually caused an increase in tensile strength (the force required to break a hair). This is because the heat reacts with the conditioning agents and cross links some of the protein chains inside the hair. Look for products like Sunsilk Heat Defense Cream
ir
if you want this effect.

i like your article; very informative/well put...love it, thx...at this moment i'm finishing up making my 6mth reggie w/relaxer and i'm going on a no heat strike for a while. i'm still focused on making it to my first goal; sl and right now even being natural, it's taking a toll on my strands so definitely i'll be back relaxing and no heat....wraps, rollersets, and drybrushing(paddlebrush) are on my hair menu.

Ah ok, I got ya now. Yeah fine hair is on a totally different level. I'm still trying to figure my own out. Rollersetting has helped me too, but I like a finished look so a flat iron may or may not be used afterwards. But I compensate by maintaining a strict regimen that includes a healthy balance of moisture and protein. Sometimes I take a break from heat styling to build up more of a foundation (via consistent dc-ing) on the strands so as not to damage the hair.

I know what I can and cannot do, y'know? I try to be realistic.

At some point I know I'll flat iron...when I get over the fear. But what about doing a protein treatment a couple of weeks prior, letting the hair air dry, apply the heat protector and flat ironing skipping the blow drier. I have fine hair too just a lot of it.

Would that be less damaging?

Blow drying is bad

Ironing is icky

Helpful heat treatments

ir

ir
if you want this effect.

LOL!This was my question:lachen::lachen:

Here is why I am - not afraid - but CAUTIOUS about using heat: (for the record I am relaxed)

1.) I have learned from experience that too much heat breaks my hair off. In high school I flat ironed probably twice or more a week and was never even at shoulder length. After awhile my hair would get so badly broken off that I'd have to get a drastic haircut or hide behind weaves for a little while because it was too short that I could wear it without being embarrassed. And funnily enough, I never realized I kept repeating the same cycle because I insisted on flatironing my hair so frequently. The break would make my hair grow back but then I'd go back to doing the same stuff and tear it all back out again :hammer:

2.) I have seen and learned that not using heat helps my hair to flourish. I had gotten a haircut summer 06 with one side neck length and the other side almost shoulder length. So for a year afterward I wore back to back sew ins. My hair became longer than it had been since I was a child and really this is what prompted me to realize with better practices, I could grow my own hair out myself.

3.) Even after learning proper hair care, I have realized regular flat ironing causes me too much breakage. Once I started seeing tangible results, I thought it would be okay for me to start straightening my hair again. I flat ironed once every weekend, and within a month, or two at the most, all the progress I had made was gone.

4.) I don't know how to properly straighten my hair to prevent breakage. I have relaxed hair, but my hair is thick and healthy. So I know it's not because my hair couldn't handle the occasional straightening (hell if that was the case, in high school I'd have been totally bald); I just have to figure out how to do it in the best possible way to minimize damage and I don't have the technique; tools; or products to do it right now.

5.) The women with the longest hair simply don't use heat frequently, and I am following their example. What sense would it make for me to say, "oh, I want hair like hers, but I'm not going to do what she did to get it"? Maybe there are some who do, but on the whole I would say the majority don't use heat that often. Additionally, since my hair is relaxed, I can't be as free with heat as I'd like to anyway. I posted on BHM before I posted here and while the majority of length here is probably somewhere between SL and APL, I'd say there it's between NL and SL. There was one poster in particular who gave tons of free advice, she had been around for awhile, (more than a couple years) but her hair was within inches of the same length it had been at when she started. Unless she never took any pictures of her hair long and when she cut it again, I have to assume it just never grew out. Now why would I take advice from someone who is not even seeing any success at this particular task? That definitely isn't to say people with short hair don't have the right to give advice on how to grow hair because I strongly disagree with that. But I have to be honest, if you haven't shown any growth and improvement over 3+ years, you do not have the business model I want to base my company on.

The bottom line is, I still have more work to do and I'm not going to compromise my hair for the sake of the learning process, RIGHT NOW. When my hair is longer and I can risk losing an inch or so, maybe I will begin the process of learning how to properly straighten it. I would wager a lot of people would have that same opinion: "When my hair is longer I will do this or that to it" (there is a thread with a poll called "when will you let your hair down?" and most of the replies are at APL or BSL). And for those who have longer goals, I imagine the wait is comparatively longer. I would say in the end it's not so much about being afraid of heat, but having patience and not willing to give in to that instant gratification temptation because you're waiting for the big prize.

Good post, OP.

Last edited:
When I was relaxed, I used heat regularly...every week I got my hair washed, blown out and "straightened" with a bevel iron. My hair grew really long, no problem. It was healthy as it could be (in that state).

Now that i am natural, I avoid that sort of heat. It takes wwwaaaayyyy too much heat to get my hair straight and that simply won't do for my curls. I got my hair blown out, then flat ironed, and I was super control freak the whole time - making sure they did the heat protectant and all that. Didn't get "pin-straight" looking like I just got a relaxer hair like I used to get done, because I wouldn't allow the type of heat needed to achieve that. I do think it is possible to use heat and keep hair healthy though. You just have to be knowledgeable on how much heat your type of hair can handle and you have to debate what is healthy for you.

When I was transitioning, I felt the brunt of heat damage, and it's just not something I would want to revisit ever again. So for ME, I avoid heat for the most part, because I don't want to damage my curls.

Also, for some, healthy simply means long hair. They think, "well, it's growing, and it's butt length, so it must be healthy." Personally, I don't agree, so I have to temper the heat...my curls and overall hair health are more important that length.

To me, it's the same as any dangerous thing. You can learn to do it "safely", as you have said, but the safest option would be to not do it altogether.
E.g. I'm sure there is a safe way to bungee jump - it's probably safer than driving if you have the proper ropes properly secured, good parachute, etc. But me, being risk averse AND LAZY, prefer not to bother.

It's no comfort to those who have damage from heat to tell them that it happened because they didn't use the correct tools and methods. They've already messed their hair up. And it proves that the knowledge of how to do it safely isn't instinctive. Maybe to them it isn't worth it to learn, or to take the risk.

As for me, I know on this board people talk about "giving up heat" all the time like it's a hardship. But for me it's anything of the sort. I grew up with a mother with long relaxed hair that she would rollerset and air dry. There was no question of heat appliances apart from at the air salon. And I've always hated heat appliances, from the pressing comb, curling iron, even the dome dryer. I hate the heat, the smell, the crispy feel of my hair afterwards (e.g. after the hairdresser). It seems like too much trouble and time: No way now how am I sitting down and taking hours to blow dry and/or flat iron my big head of hair.

And Finally, the black women I see every day with their crispy, dried out, flat hair would be enough to keep me away from heat, if I needed further motivation. Might seem harsh, but is true.

Last edited:
Thanks Africa for the add'l information. Yeah there are more ingredients that provide protection from heat (most conditioners do) but I singled out the silicones due to their durability. Like I said in a previous post, the burning point of a silicone is MANY times higher a degree than [healthy] hair, and that's why many heat protectant products contain more than one type of silicone.

Now that said, this is all under the preface that the appliance is used correctly, meaning one pass of the flat iron, for instance.

Lets say for kicks, the flat iron is set at 375 degrees (medium textured 4a hair). The burning point for cyclomethicone is something like 1000 degrees (*I believe--don't quote me; I have to find the old thread). Anyhoo for example's sake, if you pass the iron on the hair once, the hair is protected, but of course if you go over the hair 2, 3, 20 times then the temp of the hair doubles, triples, etc, thusly you burn the silicones off and then end up burning into the threshold of the hair...

I hope I explained this clearly--this is just off the top of the dome...

Also, far infrared heat (like was discussed in that post link I shared) is not the same as that Gold n Hot y'all have in your closet. As stated, if far infrared heat is used for treating cancer patients (to destroy damaged cells without harming the healthy ones) then that's the only kind of heat I want on my hair. Far infrared heat also carries antimicrobial properties...but like Gymfreak said, another thread--another day.

:grin:

Last edited:
Thanks again to all of you who have joined in this convo, this has been quite a lesson for all of us, I am certain :yep: If anything, each of us will be one step closer to truly knowing our hair via exhaustive self-reflection :drunk:

Heat protectant can't fully protect the hair. For me, personally, I have yet to find one that works. All of the ones I have used left my hair just as bad as if I hadn't used one, and it would start breaking off within hours of using heat. I'd love to find one that worked, so I could flat iron my hair, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards for me. I can't even use a blowdryer. Other than that, my hair is in better shape than it has ever been..

Thanks Africa for the add'l information. Yeah there are more ingredients that provide protection from heat (most conditioners do) but I singled out the silicones due to their durability. Like I said in a previous post, the burning point of a silicone is MANY times higher a degree than [healthy] hair, and that's why many heat protectant products contain more than one type of silicone.

Now that said, this is all under the preface that the appliance is used correctly, meaning one pass of the flat iron, for instance.

Lets say for kicks, the flat iron is set at 375 degrees (medium textured 4a hair). The burning point for cyclomethicone is something like 1000 degrees (*I believe--don't quote me; I have to find the old thread). Anyhoo for example's sake, if you pass the iron on the hair once, the hair is protected, but of course if you go over the hair 2, 3, 20 times then the temp of the hair doubles, triples, etc, thusly you burn the silicones off and then end up burning into the threshold of the hair...

I hope I explained this clearly--this is just off the top of the dome...

Also, far infrared heat (like was discussed in that post link I shared) is not the same as that Gold n Hot y'all have in your closet. As stated, if far infrared heat is used for treating cancer patients (to destroy damaged cells without harming the healthy ones) then that's the only kind of heat I want on my hair. Far infrared heat also carries antimicrobial properties...but like Gymfreak said, another thread--another day.

:grin:

I hope that day comes real soon cuz a sista wanna no:grin:

Heat protectant can't fully protect the hair. For me, personally, I have yet to find one that works.

Ditto!

I have very fine textured hair that straightens very easy...even with just a blow dryer with comb attachement. Using additional heating appliances has caused heat damage when I decided to straighten.

Last edited:
I do my own hair 99% of the time, which includes rollersetting/flatironing every 6-8 weeks and my hair is fine. Of course, I baby my hair to death and I make sure I DC, use low settings, use heat protectors, etc...

I went to a stylist for the first time in 9 months and she blow dried the heck out of my hair. She used to do my hair when I was relaxed and I never thought twice about her techniques. She rollerset, did a Dominican blowout with half of my hair protected by a spray (don't know why I stayed quiet), and then proceeded to flatiron my hair (my sis later on confessed that this particular lady doesn't know how to use a flatiron very well). Anyway my hair came out gorgeous.. 30min later the 90 degree weather turned it back to a fro :ohwell: and I haven't flatironed since. I feel like only I know my hair and will give it the TLC it deserves. I think that if I go to this women once a week - ehhh ain't happening - I'd be bald in a few months LOL I'm not afraid of heat. I think at this point in my life I know how to fry or not fry my own hair.

Last edited:
Artemis,
I think it's just a matter of cost-benefit analysis. E.g. I like to keep my routine as simple, and my bathroom shelves as uncluttered, as possible. So for me the cost = additional products and equipment (heat protectants, flat irons of different sizes, dryers, etc), more time spent on hair (flat ironing section by section takes a long time), suffering with being overheated (nothing I hate more), PLUS the risk of damaged hair. And for what benefit?: Dry hair? Well, my hair dries easily anyway. Flattened hair? Not my look, and I think only thick-stranded, dense-haired people carry it off well. Smooth hair in a long-lasting set style? Well, NOW you got me interested, and for that reason I would do the dome dryer thing on low heat for about 20 minutes with a roller set or whatever once a week. It's ONLY at that level of cost/risk and benefit that it gets to be "worth it" for me. For someone else who values straight hair more, they would be willing to put more into it.

Off topic: for those that asked what the difference is between direct heat (e.g. flat iron) and indirect heat (e.g. dome dryer). Well, it's the difference between holding your hand over a hot stove ring, and actually touching it. In the latter, you are likely burn quicker and more badly and probably leave some of your skin sticking to the ring. That's because, while air can get really hot, it can usually not get as hot as a solid, because a solid has a much higher density of atoms / molecules, and those are what transmit heat. With a blowdryer, you're not necessarily touching your hair with a solid, but the directed stream of hot air is very drying.

Artemis, just a suggestion: I think you would have gotten a more rounded response, and would have better shared your knowledge about safe and effective heat styling, if you had started a thread with a less confrontational title. Maybe "All you need to know about Safe Heat Styling"???? You sound like a very intelligent woman, and I think you've already realised that.

I fear heat. You have to know what kind of heat protectant, how much protectant, which heat styler, what temperature, and how often. I may be missing some, but that's at least 5 variables. If one of those is off I risk irreparable to the structure and curl pattern of my hair. It's educated trial and error. I like my hair too much to risk having an error. I don't own any heat appliances at all.

Lys

Artemis,
I think it's just a matter of cost-benefit analysis. E.g. I like to keep my routine as simple, and my bathroom shelves as uncluttered, as possible. So for me the cost = additional products and equipment (heat protectants, flat irons of different sizes, dryers, etc), more time spent on hair (flat ironing section by section takes a long time), suffering with being overheated (nothing I hate more), PLUS the risk of damaged hair. And for what benefit?: Dry hair? Well, my hair dries easily anyway. Flattened hair? Not my look, and I think only thick-stranded, dense-haired people carry it off well. Smooth hair in a long-lasting set style? Well, NOW you got me interested, and for that reason I would do the dome dryer thing on low heat for about 20 minutes with a roller set or whatever once a week. It's ONLY at that level of cost/risk and benefit that it gets to be "worth it" for me. For someone else who values straight hair more, they would be willing to put more into it.

Off topic: for those that asked what the difference is between direct heat (e.g. flat iron) and indirect heat (e.g. dome dryer). Well, it's the difference between holding your hand over a hot stove ring, and actually touching it. In the latter, you are likely burn quicker and more badly and probably leave some of your skin sticking to the ring. That's because, while air can get really hot, it can usually not get as hot as a solid, because a solid has a much higher density of atoms / molecules, and those are what transmit heat. With a blowdryer, you're not necessarily touching your hair with a solid, but the directed stream of hot air is very drying.

Artemis, just a suggestion: I think you would have gotten a more rounded response, and would have better shared your knowledge about safe and effective heat styling, if you had started a thread with a less confrontational title. Maybe "All you need to know about Safe Heat Styling"???? You sound like a very intelligent woman, and I think you've already realised that.

Thanks Ebonylocs. :)

There actually is a thread that I posted in that has a similar title (started by TexasQT), and oddly enough, the responses were not that well-rounded. As a matter of fact, really only heat users replied. :ohwell:

Back