A Question for those of you who bun daily...

jamoca5

Okay, so I just started college (WHOO!) as a Musical Theatre major (again, WHOO!). As a Musical Theatre major, I'm required to take Ballet every morning. In Ballet, we have to wear what's called "regulation attire", which includes putting our hair up in a bun so that it's not in our faces.

I have no problem with this and I somehow managed to get my signature afro to turn into a bun. It's helped with stretching my hair and keeping my ends protected and it's all pretty awesome. The thing is, I use a regular everyday elastic ponytail holder to put my hair back and I've heard horror stories of these bands damaging the hair or being too tight or leaving behind a "dent"-like look when you take it out. This is a hairstyle I'll have to wear every morning but I don't want to risk the health of my hair for it.

So ladies who bun daily or frequently enough that it might as well be daily, how do you do it? What do you use? What have you found works better for your hair? Any other extra advice/information would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

I use headbands. I cut my headband and tie it around my hair so its pretty snug. I slip my donut on then wrap another headband around the donut and my hair. Works well for me. Gel and tie with a scarf. I work in a psychiatric hospital and wear my hair in a bun daily.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using SCH-I500

I use both wet or dry buns.

If I using a wet bun, I co-wash my hair, wrap it in a Turbo Twist Turban (gotta love alliteration!) to soak up the excess water, let my hair down, use Oyin Handmade's Hair Dew as both a leave-in/moisturizer, seal with an oil of choice (e.g. olive, coconut, avocado), place a little bit of EcoStyler Argan Oil Gel, brush slightly (yes, I use a boar's brush - sue me), gather my hair carefully (but not too tight), and place it in a Goody Ouchless hair band, pin my ends around into a cute bun, and that's it.

With the exception of cowashing my hair, I do the same with dry buns (although I sometimes use a pomade to both seal and "gel" my hair).

Hope that helps!! Buns have helped me tremendously during my transition so far.

Southern Tease, the only thing holding it in place are bobby pins. I'm able to work out with it not falling apart, but this is my absolutely favorite PS.

I dont wear buns daily but I heard soaking your elastics in olive oil prevents breakage. You may also want to use a knee-high stocking and then tuck your ends using bobby pins.

Back