a question for all curly and texturized heads

Nanyanika

Tell me...How do you get curls to airdry soft and shiny looking? What products are you using to acheive this? My curls always has dry--ish frizzy look. Do you have to use gel, to get the curls to lay flat and smooth enough for buns, ponytail-styles etc. btw I use Elasta QP, Breakfree and Roothealth.

For me, washing with a moisturizing conditioner and following up with a creamy leave-in are the first steps.

After that, I use either Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding, AG Re:Coil or Boots Curling Cream (straight from the UK!!!) on top as a finishing product.

Thanks Bunny, do you apply a lot of curly pudding/curling cream to mold and sculpt the hair for buns, bantu knots etc.

My staple product is Salon Selective Loosely Defined (though it is now discontinued). It's more of a styling "lotion" instead of a gel. Gels tend to frizz and dry out my curls. Once I run out of all the Loosely Defined that I own, I will probably try Curve Salon's Curling Pudding...

I've used:
Salon Selective Loosely Defined
S-Curl just a litlle in the hands and then apply to hair
DPL Curl Reconstructor-a gel activator
Vitamin E gel mixed ith Aloe gel
I even used Moisture Max mixed with S-Curl

all of these work good. I wear a bun pulled straight to work all week and loose curls if I go out or for church.

HTH

I've heard of some people having success with jessie's pudding but for me I just wash with conditioner and go. I don't really use jels for curl def. Now today my hair looks reallllly defined because I just came out of some twist (my hair curls up more after its been stretched) and I left a good amount of conditioner in my hair. My naps/curls have sucked all the conditioner up, my hair is extra moisturised therefore my curls are popping.

I love salon selectives loosely defined. Unfortunately I have no more and will probably never ever ever find it again
cry3.gif

Other than that I will airdry no products and when it is dry put a lil kemi oyl in it. Sometimes I will use gel, usually just Suave mixed with kemi oyl.

Try to find loosely defined if you can though.

I like hair milk and jessicurl's rockin ringlets styling potion. It makes my hair really light and bouncy yet moisturized. I think gel weighs my hair down, and these two products together work wonders for my curls!

some of you mentioined salon selectives loosely defined, but isn't there another product that is similar to this now that it is being discontinued.

I use NTM Leave-In fresh out of the shower and then use African Gold Or Blue Magic (same company and product) Curl Activator Gel - lots of it. I let my hair dry and set sort of clumpy and crunchy and then scrunch and pull curls - it becomes very soft. I also like Fantastix Texturizer Gel.

I use a creamy leave in and then seal my hair with a mixture of virgin shea butter and virgin coconut oil. After that I apply gel (I use a Proclaim gel) and I have soft but defined curls. Never knew it was possible for me to have curls instead of frizz until recently.

For those who love SSLD if you have a Big Lots in your area I've noticed quite a bit of it in their stores. It seems like I've seen it somewhere else but I'll have to check- I don't really buy it myself since its not heavy enough for my hair.

To my wet hair I apply a mix of conditioner and Lacio Lacio. Then I spritz my hair w/World O' Curls or Stay-Sof-Fro, either works the same for me. Then I seal my ends w/castor oil. After my hair dries I blend some yummy smelling conditioner (usually something Nature's Gate) w/avocado and/or castor oil. The conditioner defines my curls and the oils impart shine. My first process always leaves my hair very moist and super soft.

Sometimes I don't use anything - just my leave-in and oils. Other times, I may use Noodlehead which is a creamy curl enhancer product from Sally's. It keeps frizz away with a light hold.

I won't use gel...I am too afraid it will dry out my hair.

Hey Den1,

If I want my curls to airdry well I use this combo:

my conditioner mix (parts are fuzzy):
3 parts suave milk & honey
1 part castor oil
2 parts s-curl

and a liberal amount of john freida dream curls

This has worked for me after co-washes.

HTH,

DA

Another fan of John Freida dream curls. I will apply that while damp with aveda leave in elixir. If hair seems dry i apply a little sweet almond oil to the mix.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Den1,

If I want my curls to airdry well I use this combo:

my conditioner mix (parts are fuzzy):
3 parts suave milk & honey
1 part castor oil
2 parts s-curl

and a liberal amount of john freida dream curls

This has worked for me after co-washes.

HTH,

DA

[/ QUOTE ]

Aww Thanks, I have some VO5 could i mix that with s-curl and castor oil.

Sorry den1 that I didn't answer your question!

I've never tried the Boots Curl Creme for twists or knots or anything like that because I'm such a lazy bum that I usually just wash and go. But it is nice and creamy so it might be good for hold.

Man, I keep reading reviews about Salon Selectives Loosely Defined...I wish it wasn't discontinued... :ohwell:

Back