A Newbie Keeping it Simple (Thoughts and Tips)

nysister

Well it's been 3 weeks since my Big Cut and I have done research up the wazoo, and become a bit of a PJ. However I've found this the below is what works best for my 4a/b/c/d (ha-ha you get the picture.) Perhaps this will help some other newbies save a bit of cash.

Hair type: 4 a/b
Hair Length: TWA with lots of shrinkage. It's grown about 1/2 since I've cut it.
Morning Routine: Co-wash in the morning, or simply a rinse. Comb with a wide-tooth comb or pick.

Use Glycerine and water to soften. I switch up with Dr. Miracle leave in conditioner. (I know not everyone likes it, but it does works wonders for keeping it soft)

Super gently pick to make it even all over.

Evening Routine: Nothing much. I might co-wash if I hadn't done so in the morning. I usually co-wash daily or every other day, depending on the heat of the day and other external conditions.

and

That's it!

Results: Super soft like cotton hair. An Amazingly easy to manage wash and go hairstyle. I tie it up, at night (sometimes) to add maxi,mum shrinkage, so that it's easy to just go if I want to cover it in the shower. I figure with maximum shrinkage I can keep wearing a TWA for a while, and when it starts to get "big" I'll use headbands and do a twist out for something different.

BTW I work for a Fortune 100 company. I have not had anything but compliments on my hairstyle. Any shock has been due to how short it is, not that it's an afro. My husband really isn't into it, and that's fine because, I AM! In the end, that's really all that matters :grin:

Well it's been 3 weeks since my Big Cut and I have done research up the wazoo, and become a bit of a PJ. However I've found this the below is what works best for my 4a/b/c/d (ha-ha you get the picture.) Perhaps this will help some other newbies save a bit of cash.

Hair type: 4 a/b
Hair Length: TWA with lots of shrinkage. It's grown about 1/2 since I've cut it.
Morning Routine: Co-wash in the morning, or simply a rinse. Comb with a wide-tooth comb or pick.

Use Glycerine and water to soften. I switch up with Dr. Miracle leave in conditioner. (I know not everyone likes it, but it does works wonders for keeping it soft)

Super gently pick to make it even all over.

Evening Routine: Nothing much. I might co-wash if I hadn't done so in the morning. I usually co-wash daily or every other day, depending on the heat of the day and other external conditions.

and

That's it!

Results: Super soft like cotton hair. An Amazingly easy to manage wash and go hairstyle. I tie it up, at night (sometimes) to add maxi,mum shrinkage, so that it's easy to just go if I want to cover it in the shower. I figure with maximum shrinkage I can keep wearing a TWA for a while, and when it starts to get "big" I'll use headbands and do a twist out for something different.

BTW I work for a Fortune 100 company. I have not had anything but compliments on my hairstyle. Any shock has been due to how short it is, not that it's an afro. My husband really isn't into it, and that's fine because, I AM! In the end, that's really all that matters :grin:

Go ahead with that. Please your husband. I mean how would you feel if he grew a gumby? Or gained 50 (extra) pounds - Are you in it to win it or do what matters only to you? something to think about.

Glad to see you are happy with your hair. *and be careful with the glycerin.

Happy health, hair and marriage! :yep:

I understand where you're coming from HijabiFlygirl; however we've been married 10 years, and it consists of compromises, and firm stands. This one is a firm stand. He wants me to grow it out so I will. (I prefer short hair) but it will stay in it's natural state without chemicals, and rarely flat ironed. He wins, and I win. As for him growing a Gumby and gaining 50 pounds, well I wouldn't like it, but if he wanted to, I'd accept that as his choice. :)

OP continue to do you. 2 yrs nappy & DH is accepting of my hair. He does not like it but he is accepting. Oh well...can't please all the people all the time...best to please the GOD within.

Namaste

Good onya, OP! You are doing better than most of us who only found our regimen after throwing a lot of money down the drain trying to keep up with the next best thing that was raved about. As for your hubby, he'll come around once he sees how healthy your hair is and once you start getting length.

18 months later. My hair is about 8"-10" - which is hard to tell in the pictures due to the braid out. I either wear it like this or in a pulled back fro (see av)

This is a tight braid out using Water and Castor oil.

(I'll probably remove these photos soon.)

December 2010

5254703465_636c5bc0a3.jpg

With a bellydance hair chain. Those aren't specs that's a reflection of the oil.

5254702559_395d4a6cf3.jpg

5254702901_731d1a7617.jpg

June 2009

I LOOOOOOOOVED this cut...looking at it makes me want to cut it all over again.

3550545000_8c34d732a5.jpg

July 2009

3754060526_62eb2e5c8d.jpg

Photos Hosted by Flickr.
set-72157618556159844

Thanks Ladies!

bride91501 when I BC'd in the front it was about 1" stretched, and the back was pretty much shaved. I hadn't planned to shave it, but it worked out nicely in the end :)

I was just admiring your hair in your avi the other day. It's beautiful! Obviosuly that reggie is working well! Continued success in your hhj! :yep:

Back