a good water based moisturizer, por favor?

mischka

shrinkage.
i suspect the missing piece in my dryness/stiffness puzzle is my lack of a moisturizer for dry hair. i bought amla heavy creme and was less than impressed with it (even more so when i learned it wasnt actually a moisturizer :drunk:). i thought a heavy creme would be good for my cottony hair but now im thinking maybe i need something slicker and lighter?

im allowing myself to try a couple new products in effort to solve this problem, so do you guys have any suggestions? i am natural. i think the only times i tried using a moisturizer was back when i was still relaxed. i tried HE LTR, care free curl gold, glycerin and water, and moisturizing conditioners like nexxus humectress as leave ins... nothing really rocked my world i guess. the only product i have really loved was john frieda daily vitamin leave in (any thoughts about this product? every time i mention it no one cosigns it in any way)

i need help!

Psst...look-a-here
finger-pointing-down.gif

Start reading from this point...but read to the end of the thread because there's a method to the madness.

Last edited:
The AOHC is too heavy for my hair so I opt for the Burdock Root Butter Cream... I'm not home so I can't look, but I think it's water based or water is one of the main ingredients.

Any why does AOHC not count as moisturizer? The castor oil?

i have gleaned that since an oil, not water, is the first ingredient, its not a moisturizer and its a sealant

My water-based moisturizer of choice is my beloved NTM Silk Touch Leave-in.

Moisturizer? Light and slick reminds me of products that are more more similar to a leave-in. I really like Oyin Hair Dew.

Moisturizer? Light and slick reminds me of products that are more more similar to a leave-in. I really like Oyin Hair Dew.

girl. idk what i need. im at a total loss for finding the right moisturizer for my hair.

pics (please dont mind my hair, i was out drinking last night :lol: :rofl:

d1fdb6eb.jpg

you can tell which strands i sprayed, right?

c8ce2ecf.jpg

hey nonie, i think i like this s curl stuff. it sprays widely and isnt too heavy but still weighs my hair down a little. i just sprayed over my dry hair and it seems like a good tool for wearing my hair out/in a fro

kbb hair nectar or milk (she changed the names and i don't use these anymore)
komaza care shea hair lotion or coconut curl lotion
oyin hair dew

I had mentioned this in another thread but I'm a 4A natural and Scurl has been my method of moisturizing for years. Tried other stuff but always went back to my boo Scurl. Recently I bought the Olive Oil Smooth and Hold pudding for my upstyles and quickly found it doesn't smooth and hold for nothing but I found that it was an excellent moisturizer. I read the ingredients and Water, Coconut Oil, Mineral Oil and Gylcerin were the first four ingredients so it made sense...why they're marketing has a smooth and hold gel is beyond me, but if you just want to try something different, this isn't bad.

I have had good results with Bioinfusion olive oil moisturizing lotion. I have that dry, hard to moisturize hair and this actually keeps my hair soft.

I also use NTM leave in but right now I am experimenting with infusium moisture leave in, water and some taliah wajid in a spray bottle. the juries still out thought

I use Bee Mine luscious balanced moisturizer and really like it. I tried S-curl and didn't like it, too sticky and would build up after a while.

I spray my hair w/water, apply moisturizer, and seal w/oil.

Imani - last year I loved Scurl. I applied it to 100% dry hair after air drying. I felt like it made my hair super soft and the glycerin content wasn't a factor (it was summer). As the seasons progressed to Fall/Winter - Scurl stopped working. Now that it's Spring, Scurl and other glycerin prods are still not working. I was forced to find another moisturizer, which brings me to, I love Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer. :lick:

Imani - last year I loved Scurl. I applied it to 100% dry hair after air drying. I felt like it made my hair super soft and the glycerin content wasn't a factor (it was summer). As the seasons progressed to Fall/Winter - Scurl stopped working. Now that it's Spring, Scurl and other glycerin prods are still not working. I was forced to find another moisturizer, which brings me to, I love Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer. :lick:

divachyk Cool! Someone else who likes the stuff I like. That rarely ever happens :lol:! It seems like my hair doesn't like any of the stuff that everyone on the board rave about.

The glycerin based sprays would feel good at first. (In addition to Scurl I also tried Oyin Juices and Berries and Taliah Wajiid Mist Bodifier). But then after a while my hair would just feel coated and sticky.

@Imani, never tried Oyin but Taliah Waajid (TWPMB) wasn't my friend at first. Now that I've diluted it, I'm addicted to it. It moisturizes me so nicely now. I love, love, love it. If you have some left, try diluting it according to this post and see how you like it. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=13156777&postcount=10 I mostly spritz my ng with TWPMB and then will smooth the remaining product down the shaft. It moisturizes me differently than BM Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer (BMLBCM). I love both of them and interchange them throughout the week. I also use BMLBCM to air dry. :lick:

@Imani, never tried Oyin but Taliah Waajid (TWPMB) wasn't my friend at first. Now that I've diluted it, I'm addicted to it. It moisturizes me so nicely now. I love, love, love it. If you have some left, try diluting it according to this post and see how you like it. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=13156777&postcount=10 I mostly spritz my ng with TWPMB and then will smooth the remaining product down the shaft. It moisturizes me differently than BM Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer (BMLBCM). I love both of them and interchange them throughout the week. I also use BMLBCM to air dry. :lick:

Yeah I've read that people were dilluting both the Oyin and the Talliah W, but I just never got around to experimenting with it. I don't even know where the Taliah W is, may have given it away at a meetup or something. I started just spraying w/water and applying the Bee Mine; that seemed to work really well so I just stuck with that.

Back