A good hair gel?

bellydancer

I am sooo against using gel on my hair because in the past it's just been hard and flaky and drying. I decided to spice up my protective style (baggie technique) by swooping some bangs over my forehead and making a low ponytail, but I used that brown gel and my hair is hard and itching and I know it's going to look like hell when I wash it out. Is there another kind of gel that isn't drying that I can use to lye my hair down? Keep in my mind I have thick 4a/b hair lol. The brown gel worked, but it's damaging in the long run.

thanks ladies.

i'm open to homemade recipes too. I'm thinking about using a LOT of aloe vera gel to hold my hair down, but is aloe vera ok to use? I've used it in the past, but not much.

Hey, Belly :wave:

I don't know which gels are better than others. But I've noticed that if I wet my hair a little, then apply some Liv or other moisturizer-type creme, and THEN apply the gel on top of that, that my hair does not get hard or crunchy or flakey.

Fantasia IC Frizz Buster Gel is what I used to lay down my hairline when I was not relaxing it along with the rest of my hair it worked great of course I was not using it every day so I dont know if it flakes with frequent use.

My favorite gel is by Graham Webb. Its a little hard to find and usually sold at certain salons but if you ever come across it, its worth checking out!

dtachi said:
My favorite gel is by Graham Webb. Its a little hard to find and usually sold at certain salons but if you ever come across it, its worth checking out!

Dtachi, What is the name of this gel? Does it provide a soft or hard hold?

nikki1971 said:
Dtachi, What is the name of this gel? Does it provide a soft or hard hold?

There are a couple different gels by Graham Webb. One is called "Making Waves" and the other I can't recall but its geared toward color treated hair I think "Vivid Color" or something like that. I'll have to double check when I go home.
Anyway, I would say that they give soft hold(not hard or crunchy) but its still strong enough to hold a style or keeping the shape of the curls whichever look you are going for. The gel itself has a unique texture. I really like it!

sunnygirl said:
My favorite which does not feel like a hair gel is Jam (in the orange top). It leaves your hair shinning and very moist.

ITA!! I spritz my hair with a little moisture mix then slap on the Let's Jam!

Oh, QP Glaze is good to! :up:

~op~

you may be having problems with the brown gel because it contains protein. unless you wash it out frequently, it can be really drying.

my favorite gel was Let's Jam (clear) until i couldn't find it anywhere. so i switched to Fantasia IC gel. i mix it with World of Curls activator gel. the combination keeps my hair extra moisturized while also giving hold.

I use Smooth N' Shine Extra Hold Conditioning Shine Gel. It's like a grease-gel, and doesn't have any alcohol. Elasta QP Glaze is also good on my hair.

Fantasia IC's Sparkle Lites gel make my hair not super hard with a great hold. I also add a little motion 9 oil for more moisture.

I use Fantasia IC's Sparkle Lites gel daily and it gives great hold. The quantity I use is equivalent to a little bit less than a quater. My hair isn't hard and it feels very soft because I always spray Lusters S-Curl Activator Moisturizer before applying it.

Back